Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd be lying if I said I was not frustrated with switching to another subplot instead of getting to the Pintsize issue, but I am interested in seeing how it all ties together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

I didn't notice until now, but IVS is shown here getting on a bus for New York.

Yeah, and this looks like the south we are in. Not sure when this is taking place.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There is something that I find depressing; If we take what Brad is saying at face value (He may be acting passive aggressive here, and it was stated that all major super villains have been rounded up, so I may be off base here), then Alison, despite her best intentions, is pretty much responsible (if indirectly) for destroying the livelihoods of her teammates. It probably did not help that her response was "Poor Hector" to the guy who barely has anything to his name that is forced to start over :(.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 21, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
True but how much of that money was truly theirs? It makes me think the government owns most if not all things associated to the guardians.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
... Anyone else think that this would be the best place to insert a tragic plot twist? :tinfoil:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alopex posted:

What, you mean like Moonshadow being an unhinged murder factory?

More like Alison walking in to find a body.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
That terrorist who was burning Feral seemed pretty dead after Alison punched him.

While I do not think that Hector is a bad person, this chapter has shown him to be childish and ultimately responsible for a lot of suffering.

Alison may have left the Guardians in a bad place, but Hector, instead of reevaluating their place in the world, decided to double down on busting normal crime in order to overcompensate which, I personally think, made Moonshadow into the person she is today.

Also, moonshadow is going to recruit these guys for her Xtreme 90s team in the sense of "If you refuse, of course I will need to kill you."

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am wondering how she got so much military ordinance without anyone noticing or raising an eyebrow...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it remains to be seen what he would do. On the one hand, Hector is a good person, albeit one who is prone to saying stupid poo poo, and his actions up till now came from a good place.

On the other, he is neck deep in denial and does not comprehend that the way he wants things to be can not work, much less how much of a failure he has been as a leader. I bet once he sees what Moonshadow is doing, the weight of his gently caress ups will hit him hard.

Unless he is assisting Moonshadow. Munitions is one thing, but a heavy duty locking mechanism? And info on War Criminals? Either way, someone has to be helping her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

I think she said she's basically got a lot of resources she can quietly draw on with her current position.

I don't quite recall that, and even if she did say that, manpower counts as a resource.

It is possible she is doing this alone with the ton of money she has, but I would not be surprised if she turns out to have a partner.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Bravo posted:

Ahhhahahaha! Holy poo poo, you think that thousands of rounds of ammunition and loving grenades are easier to get ahold of than a big lock? I just... I just don't even... I don't even know how to respond to that, other than with mockery.

It was more like that on top of everything else. It seems like Batman levels of prepared.

But yeah that was a dumb way of putting it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

It will be interesting to see how the government reacts to this, now that he's publicly promised to flame-murder rape victims.

I am guessing not much. Did Allison get anything for killing that one dude and threatening an entire mob? They were terrible people, granted, but she did not get so much as a slap on the wrist.

I think the government would want to avoid pissing off combat capable biodynamics. If they had a way to deal with them, they would not give them so much leeway.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
To be honest I was hoping we would be done with these info dumps and move on with the infinitely more interesting plot...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right now the pacing is poo poo. Entire plotlines (Remember Moonshadow? Or the MRA fire guy flat out threatening women on television? How about the Guardians being shut down and Hector alienating himself from Allison? Or Allison herself struggling with what she wants to do?) are being put on hold so characters can literally tell us paragraphs about their worldviews.

I just want stuff to happen. :(

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Falstaff posted:

If you can't enjoy a good villainous monologue, then you have no soul. :colbert:

Yeah, but by this point in this chapter I am monologued out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I dunno, I feel like Patrick looks like he is panicking for whatever reason.

He was caught off guard? He is a passive mind reader, he should have heard the thought before she vocalized it.

Right now, my pet (crackpot) theory is that Patrick is Mary's benefactor. She gets his resources (I am still not convinced that her little demonstration to the PMC was entirely done on her own) and a personal lie detector (In the beginning of the chapter, Mary states that she needed to get the truth from the victim, and it must be indeed the truth), and in return she does whatever dirty work Patrick needs.

That is probably as deep as their relationship goes. I am guessing that she is on her way and Patrick is trying to get Allison to leave before Mary arrives. Or maybe she is already there.

Then again, that begs the question of why Patrick had Allison over in the first place, so...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 24, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JuniperCake posted:

Dude probably panicked, and said the one thing he thought would be enough to shock Allison into getting some distance between them in a hurry.

For all his bluster about being some emotion-less mastermind, the dude doesn't seem to have a way to deal with emotional intimacy. As nice as it is to have someone he can talk actually talk to about stuff, it probably terrifies him that there is someone who knows enough about him that they can call him on his bluff. He is probably used to being able to change someone's opinion/behavior by saying just the right thing, but Allison has wised up to that by now. It probably didn't help that he flat out told her about that. All his previous attempts failed, so he decided to say the worst thing he could think of.

I mean if this were purely a misdirection, this wouldn't be necessary since he had already gotten the subject away from whatever activities he may be involved in. If he just wanted some distance and was thinking clearly, all he would have to say is that he wasn't comfortable with the situation and needed time/space and he should know Allison well enough that she'd respect that. So his response really doesn't make sense unless it some emotional knee-jerk kind of thing.

I kind of agree. For most of his life, he got everything he wanted by saying everything the other person wants to hear, or doesn't want to hear for that matter. It would make sense if, in a fit of panic, he forgoes emotional honesty and falls back on manipulation.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

I wonder how much she feels warm and cold, comfort-wise. I mean she's aware, but does she feel as uncomfortable in the cold as a normal person?

The last chapter established that she can feel warm and cold, during the conversation with her sister.

And I got to say, while I have been down on this entire segment, the latest page is really drat satisfying.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it is more that he only can not scan his mind like he can with others, but he never really examined his own views and thoughts. Not the way Allison examined herself anyway.

He can have thoughts, but he never turned them inward. Sort of like the opposite of Allison here: has a direction, but his purpose and even internal logic is confused.

I have to say though I have mixed feelings about this. Is Patrick being written out of the story here? Seems like a sudden, jarring way to do it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 12, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Squidster posted:

Yes. This is clearly the moment at which the love interest of the comic, introduced early as a pivotal supporting character, is completely abandoned. Also the end of the Illuminati super-killer plot. Why not the end of the comic as well?

Seriously, this is clearly leading to some kind of actual honesty from Patrick. He is going to have to say something heartfelt and without calculation to try and win her back. I agree that this this scene has gone on a bit long, but it feels necessary for the larger metaplot, of which vigilante slasher-lady is only a part.

I wish I could agree, but I lost a little faith in the writing in the comic to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So it looks like Allison is falling back hard on the superhero habits despite her words. Yeah, this is not going to end well for her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
As bad as this sequence is for reasons that have been already stated, there is a kernel of a good idea here: Furnace is incompetent at worst, and a liability at best, but what can you do with him? Let him go? Even in the best of circumstances, he still may involuntarily fry a bunch of people because he stubbed his toe on a rock. How do you solve a problem like that?

That, along with other things, shows that the system is breaking in real time (a little too real time if you ask me, hurr :v:)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: ...Okay, I decided I decided I will withhold judgement on all this since I still think we are building toward something here and the comic schedule is not doing it any favors. I do hope that there is consequences at the end of this chapter though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 10, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

This is dumb.

This is really dumb. She's flying so fast, she randomly dislocates her shoulder? Come the gently caress on. This smacks of the author realizing how powerful he's made Allison in just the past few months, and wanting to show "No you guys seriously Allison isn't so overpowered that there are no threats", and wanting the fight with Moonshadow to not just be instantly over.

Maybe if it had been hinted so far that flying took more of a strain, or it used up more of her power field at one time, or something? Anything?

I read it as the drag created from her backpack is what caused the stress and ultimately dislocated her shoulder. Then again I don't know much about flying so please don't take my word for it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
She jumped off or got knocked off the opposite side of where Alison was. And Furnace just put two and two together and is about to go after Mary.

I mean, I am not a fan of this arc and it honestly hurt the comic in my eyes but ya'll are being dense.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 28, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I actually said "Aw, come on!" at that latest page.

Also, this is a petty gripe, but doesn't properly administered CPR break ribs?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am disappointed because that this chapter made it clear that Alison did not go out and do all this because she was a good person, but because she is falling back hard on old habits out of stress.

Her father has cancer. The shoe finally dropped on the Guardians which is more or less caused by her exit, so that is on her conscious. She hit a dead end with her studies. Her relationship with her boyfriend is strained right up to the breaking point. And she got publicly humiliated for daring to do the right thing at a party.

This should have ended in disaster to underline the point of the comic that real world problems were not a thing that superheroes were even made to solve. But no, we have a get out of jail free card here.

Not to mention the precarious position the world is in! The superhuman generation has grown up into a not insignificant socioeconomic force, non powered individuals have started hate groups over them, and the government is bending itself backward trying to accommodate situations that literally should not exist. A disaster caused by very visible superhumans could very well ignite this powder keg.

EDIT: I guess my point is that this arc, for all its problems (and they are Legion!) could have set up the next arc where the stakes were even higher. And right now it does not look like we are getting that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 9, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

nimby posted:

A few superheroes destroying a dam that devastates an entire nature park should still cause significant backlash. Not that it will, but it should.

A famous former superhero also killed a man in broad daylight, in front of a crowd, who then proceeds to threaten said crowd. This is only mentioned in passing afterwards. Granted, they were terrible people.

A CURRENT superhero goes on the news and unambiguously threatens women who dares to come forward with rape charges against anyone. All that happened was that his girlfriend broke up with him.

Superheroes in this comic are protected as hell, and people here are not going to pay much attention to some property damage.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 9, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Carrasco posted:

I actually really hope it's not that, because it's a nice change of pace to see a superhero series where the government isn't just doing a conspiracy. Obviously the doctor isn't the entire government, but she is pretty much the human face of it in the comic. Also, there hasn't been any indication Moonshadow has had an accomplice (and why would someone who can turn invisible and create illusions need one?)

For starters, the doc could have been supplying her with information. Mary said that she doesn't go after anyone 'unless she is sure', and while I have my issues with that (Perfect information is a huge fallacy, unless your name is Batman), she certainly isn't getting all her info from Google.

Also, remember that huge goddamed pile of weapons, ammo, and explosives that Moonshadow produced to those mercs? I highly doubt that she snuck in and stole all of that without anyone noticing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

Of all the pages to do a mock edit for that's probably the worst one (also I don't even get it)

Seriously. I hate being the guy who kills a joke by asking about it, but what the gently caress is the joke supposed to be?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

Alison didn't tell anyone about Mary either, did she? The killings will continue, Alison's going to see in the paper ever so often that there's still men with their throats spontaneously splitting open in the middle of the street, and she'll roll her eyes and carry on. She wasn't particularly picky about her victims either, one only did domestic abuse instead of rape, one was only guilty of being a jerk and one hadn't actually committed any crime yet, they had just been caught probably attempting to commit one and was already going to expelled for it anyways, and she stabbed that guy's roommate. She's pretty capricious with her extra-judicial killings.

Hell, with all those high profile mysterious murders that an awful lot of people react to by going all, "Gee whillickers, I'm not going to do all the stabbing myself, but I sure don't mind people being gruesomely murdered in public!" They've basically written the setup for Death Note.

I recall that guy was already being sued for sexual assault that he did in a previous school he went to and was running from. So don't worry, 100% guilty!

EDIT: Here it is: http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/2308/

The thing with Mary with me is that at the beginning, it is clear that she was set up to be an anti-Alison: She was trying to change things for the better, yes, but through destructive means that will eventually cause more problems than she can fix. But somewhere along the line, instead of having the natural consequences of that sort of thing happening, they buckle and shrug, and makes it so her killings are 100% JUST TOTALLY PERFECT INFO. Makes me think that Mary has become a pet character.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 9, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This could have been better plotted, but here is what I think it happening:

She is not there for money. She already tore up a check for an extorbant amount. I highly doubt she would get on her hands and knees immediately afterwards to beg from someone else, much less someone who she already thinks is a jerk.

I am thinking our boy Max here is a BioDynamic with an ability to help people somehow, or owns something that can help people. And one of the things hammered in this chapter is that Alison thinks if you can help someone, you SHOULD, full stop. Brad even low key called her our on this when she was at the support group. The call to the doctor was to verify the information, possibly. Right now, she wants him to use his abilities to help people, and is willing to beg for it, and is even willing to follow the intel of someone she knows is not completely trustworthy. And this may dovetail into his complex about being told what to do (remember his reaction).

All that said, shouldn't she have apologized before she told him what she had in mind, much less before he even let her into his house?

EDIT: I came up with this mostly because the author can't be so dumb as to make it literally about money after her tearing up the check, right?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

Maybe Max's power is that he can.

Okay, you just set me up for disappointment, because I kind of want it to be exactly that.

Really, though, the question of 'If you can, should you? Should it be EXPECTED from you?' is the most interesting this comic has gotten in a long time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am pretty sure she is going to resort to outright threats here. She did it to the protester crowd after someone tried to kill Feral. She did it to Patrick. The difference here is that she would be definitely in the wrong.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

I kind of hope so. He's an idiot to not have considered the risks of saying no.

This is something I always wanted the comic to explore more: the privilege of being a super strong, indestructible being. All she needs to do is ask someone to do something, and they would consider what she could do to them, then they would give whatever she wanted to her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo. They went there. They totally went there.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

To make the page she had to read the script, create the thumbnails for it (sort of like storyboarding for comics), take the thumbnails and pencil them, then do the inks, then add the flat colors, then render the whole thing. And after all that she presumably did the lettering as well. That's, like, 8-10 hours of work. 8-10 hours spent staring at this page, and at no point did she stop to think, "Huh. This is pretty rapey."

To be fair, one tends to develop blind spots in respect to their own work. Which is why peer review is as valued as is.

A big recent example I can think of where you can look at something and think "How the gently caress did no one see this?!" is the movie Zootopia. Or rather, an earlier version thereof. Now, I consider it a real good movie and has a great message against the small bits of racism that come from our upbringing and society that, however well meaning, can be just as harmful as overt racism, if not moreso.

However, the making of that movie had several major shakeups relatively late in its production. One of which is dumping a plot point that had been in near the beginning: The idea that predator animal people would be required to wear shock collars that would jolt them anytime they got "too excited". Needless to say, it was hosed up, everyone else who saw it (Including people from Pixar) said it was hosed up, but they kept trying to make it work until the writing was on the wall, underlined, and highlighted. Despite all that, everyone involved agrees that the change was absolutely the right thing to do.

In other words, this comic needs a drat editor.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 7, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^

Oxxidation posted:

I'm at the burger shop (yeah)
I'm at the liquor store (yeah)
I'm at the combination burger shop and liquor store

It could be one of those weird combo 'Gas station convenience store and fast food place' I see occasionally where I live. Or it could be a 7-Eleven and the author was not sure how to make it clear what it is and not be infringing at the same time.

Anyway,

"Who made you the arbiter of good and evil?"

Who the gently caress says this out loud?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Dude's been chewing on a good gently caress-you line for the last fifteen minutes, probably. Hasn't had much else to think about.

So he wants to deliver an epic :iceburn: but hosed it up in the moment and is too proud to admit it? I am willing to accept that.

I am ready for Alison to drown her guilt in alcohol, but this comic hasn't had a good batting average in executing interesting ideas lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The next page should be a bunch of cops coming to arrest Mega Girl with Max in tow saying "You kidnapped me and coerced me into doing what you wanted. What did you think was going to happen?"

But it won't. :sigh:

• Locked thread