Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

It never occured to me that there is a Hobby sub forum. I'm happy to have found this thread.

A friend's wife introduced me to embroidery shortly before Covid hit. I just completed my third piece and am pretty happy with it; I've fallen in love with the art of embroidery. Here are my first three attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

sugar mouse posted:

Thank you! Currently I'm meant to be working on an animal patch quilt for my neice but I keep going back to cross stitch for a break. Here's what I've got...

I do exactly the same, sewing in front of the TV every night! Currently loving Death in Paradise on Netflix, its such an easy going show to just have on in the background.

These are great! I love the hedgehog and jellyfish! :3:

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

CaptainBeefart posted:

It never occured to me that there is a Hobby sub forum. I'm happy to have found this thread.

A friend's wife introduced me to embroidery shortly before Covid hit. I just completed my third piece and am pretty happy with it; I've fallen in love with the art of embroidery. Here are my first three attempts.

They're so cute!! This is a slow moving thread (about threads hahaha) so I've moved on to more bags... This is the current one..

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Finally framed and displayed this lovely.

https://twitter.com/ohenieledam/status/1372304488602726403?s=19

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Oh that's beautiful!! How did you get that font?, is it your own design?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

VinylonUnderground posted:

The knitting goons sent me here. I'm still not entirely sure what I am looking for. I adore my daughter's daycare provider and there are barriers that prevent me from really understanding what she is about. Anyway, she makes like little pictures. It's a white background and then it's my daughter at the beach or another person's kid with a truck they like, etc. Maybe needlepoint? If it helps, when my daughter pretends to do it she shoves a pen through a piece of paper.

My original post was:

Not sure if this is the right space (if not, please let me know where to go) but our daycare provider loves "crapping" which I believe is "crochet" filtered through toddler tongue. Older woman so she presumably has everything but the thing she loves most after kids is Jesus and since Easter is coming up I'd like to "wow" her. Any advice? Money is not an object.

That sounds like it could be needlepoint or embroidery of some kind. Would you mind posting a pic of an example?

On another note, the last three projects I have started, I tossed because I hated how they were turning out. I've only been doing this for a year, so I'm not trying to be amazing, but the last thing I tried to do was just poo poo. :sweatdrop: I'm switching gears and I'm going to try one of those turkey-stitch-as-hair projects, to make a unicorn with a rainbow mane for a friend. It looks deceptively easy in the videos I've watched so far, we'll have to see.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

This. This I like. Great album too!

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

sugar mouse posted:

Oh that's beautiful!! How did you get that font?, is it your own design?

The font was found on Pinterest, ugh. I have it saved and can email it to you if you DM me your address! The flowers are soooomewhere in the antique archive I linked to earlier in the thread.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm not really sure where else to ask, but I'm looking for a CNC die cutter, similar to Cricut machines. I've found some, but I'm really looking for one that'll automatically feed from a spool of fabric or paper.

Seems most of them have 12" x 12" or 12" x 24" work spaces. The latter would be okay for most projects, but I do have a few that'll need to be longer. If y'all know any good machines or keywords, it would be much appreciated!

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Metaline posted:

The font was found on Pinterest, ugh. I have it saved and can email it to you if you DM me your address! The flowers are soooomewhere in the antique archive I linked to earlier in the thread.

Wow I should really check threads I've posted in more often! Don't worry but thanks though, I only ever phone post so don't think I can even get dms!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

just finished this set of three. They're not big, but with full coverage it's over 9000 stitches total :goku:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Holy poo poo, those own!

How did you get the sprites to convert to a usable pattern?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
the sprites are from the gameboy/gameboy colour games that were made based off the TCG. They're already in handy dandy low-colour-depth pixel-art form, I think the max number of colours on a single card was like, 8 or so (the encoding is a bit weird, as you can see from the vaporeon the sprites are broken into 8x8 blocks each of which has up to 4 colours but different blocks can have different combinations I think)

I found the card sheets on Spriters Resource,

https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_gbc/pokemontradingcardgame2/ for the multicolour versions, https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_gbc/pokemontradingcardgame/ for the older 4 colour ones

card sheets look like this:

Then I just dump that into a simple image editor, crop out the card I want, get gridlines by zooming in super close on MS paint, turning on gridlines then doing a screen shot, and use the eye dropper to pull out a sample of each colour so I can get a more accurate idea of what to pick for it

(DMC colours)

outside of the colour picking which can take a little time since I prefer to do it by eye from my collection, each one is like a 5 minute job with free software. I don't print my patterns cos I prefer to work straight from the screen so there's no need to turn it into symbols or w/e but when I do I use c-stitch

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
I tried doing some non-counted embroidery last week (I pretty much only do cross stitch) and it's super messy, but I'm happy enough with it considering my experience level. I like the etoile thread a lot but I think it's contributing to the overall messiness since the strands aren't lying flat like regular cotton would.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

WIP.

Quote is not originally from Toy Story, dammit!

Pattern from this delightfully nerdy book. I borrowed it from the library and used my work scanner to copy several patterns out.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16058658-cross-stitch

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 15, 2021

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Quote is not edit!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Betazoid posted:

WIP.

Quote is not originally from Toy Story, dammit!

Pattern from this delightfully nerdy book. I borrowed it from the library and used my work scanner to copy several patterns out.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16058658-cross-stitch

This looks amazing! I love that it's the original tricorder too. I'd love to see the finished version.

Separately for any hand embroidery people: how the heck so I get my satin stitch to be flat? When I look at satin stitches in patterns and examples, it's always flat. When I do it, it's rounded and I have to press it down to flatten out. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Skutter posted:

This looks amazing! I love that it's the original tricorder too. I'd love to see the finished version.

Separately for any hand embroidery people: how the heck so I get my satin stitch to be flat? When I look at satin stitches in patterns and examples, it's always flat. When I do it, it's rounded and I have to press it down to flatten out. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you! Binging The Crown and pretending to be an elegant lady who does her stitching. ;)

Thought on the satin stitch: are you twisting your hand strangely? I find that my thread always twists, and I think it's just some kind of technique error... I have to periodically hold up the hoop and let the thread spin free and then continue. I'm not experienced, though, so just a thought.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Betazoid posted:

Thank you! Binging The Crown and pretending to be an elegant lady who does her stitching. ;)

Thought on the satin stitch: are you twisting your hand strangely? I find that my thread always twists, and I think it's just some kind of technique error... I have to periodically hold up the hoop and let the thread spin free and then continue. I'm not experienced, though, so just a thought.

Ha, I have to do that too. It's more that the thread is straight, and not twisted, but it's "humped" rather than nice and flat. From the bit of searching I've done, it looks common. I just need to keep practicing I guess!

Also, for anyone who does embroidery, this lady is fantastic: https://www.needlenthread.com She has great YouTube videos, and her stitchwork is amazing. She does restoration on old church vestments and takes photos of the process, it's really neat to see. And she does goldwork embroidery which is so lovely. She also has posted a lot of older patterns from Jacobean and other pattern books, so if you're looking for a really unique pattern, I'd check those out too.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Skutter posted:

I’m not super sure what rounded means in this context, but are you maybe pulling your thread too tight? I always have be super conscious about that when I do longer satin stitches, especially. I think another thing to consider when comparing your satin stitches to others is what sort of thread they’re using (thicker, thinner, etc), and how many threads they’re using (6, 5, 4, etc). It’s gonna lay more nicely with fewer threads, in my experience, but also take longer

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

idk how I managed to unbookmark this thread but y'all are making gorgeous poo poo, drat

I recently got super into crochet and have left my cross stitch projects wasting away. is there a crochet/knitting/yarn thread around here?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

There is, but it's been a minute since anyone last posted in it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734732

Edit, to below vvv : woops! Well either way, have fun.

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 30, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's the knitting thread, this is the crochet thread. Necro on!

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I think some folks find embroidery intimidating, especially if they've only done cross stitch like I did as a kid. My sister got me this cute star signs book for my birthday last year, and I've done one of the patterns. I thought it turned out very nice! Just need a circular frame.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Betazoid posted:

I think some folks find embroidery intimidating, especially if they've only done cross stitch like I did as a kid. My sister got me this cute star signs book for my birthday last year, and I've done one of the patterns. I thought it turned out very nice! Just need a circular frame.

I dig it! Love the contrast with the black fabric.

Does anyone else get really hard on themselves internally when working with the details of a piece? I've never been happy with my work until it's finished and I can step back and take it all in.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's like you get way too bogged down in the tiny details that no one else is going to notice. It's like that for most all of my projects, actually.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

CaptainBeefart posted:

I dig it! Love the contrast with the black fabric.

Does anyone else get really hard on themselves internally when working with the details of a piece? I've never been happy with my work until it's finished and I can step back and take it all in.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yeah, it's like you get way too bogged down in the tiny details that no one else is going to notice. It's like that for most all of my projects, actually.

Always. I hosed up a letter (lowercase fancy letter g) on my current project and showed it to my husband like, "man, that sucks, but I don't want to unpick it now..." And he says "literally, I can't even tell the difference between this g and that g. Looks nice! It looks the same to me." It'll go in my cubicle or I'll press, frame, and send it to a friend.

On the mesa scene I posted above, it could have been done more neatly, I guess, but it was fun to do, so I'm good with it. I ain't entering competitions or doing the really cool show pieces some goons do, so it's fine. Next one will be prettier!

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 1, 2021

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Hello embroidery thread! I come to you from a dark future, where the embroidery is done... BY ROBOTS!

I've been wanting to get into making my own embroidered patches for a while, so bit the bullet and went in with this guy. Got it out of the box and doing some samples in about an hour. The keen eyed (or those with a Brother as well) will note those are a couple of the included designs. I was excited to try something out with whatever scrap of fabric I had around. Lots of tension issues to sort out from what it looks like, more experimenting later!

Now that I have the machine the next big step is to start to learn digitizing. Thankfully the expensive AF software has free trials. End goal is to maybe sell my own designed patches and other things. I'm well aware of the limitations of a single needle machine, but I figure it'll take me far enough to know if this just remains another hobby or if I can make it more.

Any other machine embroidery goons still around? I went through the whole thread over the last few days, and there's some truly impressive work in here. I used to do some small cross stitch when I was a kid, and the size of some of the pieces in here shows dedication.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PirateDentist posted:

Now that I have the machine the next big step is to start to learn digitizing. Thankfully the expensive AF software has free trials. End goal is to maybe sell my own designed patches and other things. I'm well aware of the limitations of a single needle machine, but I figure it'll take me far enough to know if this just remains another hobby or if I can make it more.

Any other machine embroidery goons still around?

Not myself, but a friend of mine *just* moved on from a single thread machine to a 6 threader with an automatic thread snipper. He used the old one for years and had a nice little sideline making Pride themed patches (mostly flag based stuff with a few original designs). The main bottlenecks were babysitting the machine for colour changes, snipping the threads on the complex designs (especially the ones with lettering) and cutting everything out, with the new machine the only one of these that remains is the cutting out..

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hi thread, a few weeks ago I bought an embroidery kit from my local art museum. Here's the result!

It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing more projects in the future :3:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Hi thread, a few weeks ago I bought an embroidery kit from my local art museum. Here's the result!

It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing more projects in the future :3:

Oh I love this!!

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

This looks awesome! Nicely done!

Question: I bought really cheap thread from eBay or something just to do little projects on the couch while watching Netflix. I'm not worried about them not being perfect, but I'd like them to look nice, and the cheap thread is very nubbly and uneven.

I did this little Star Trek design, and the solid black shows how uneven the thread looks. I thought I could add some metallic accents as a distraction but I sort of hate it. It looks super freehand which contrasts IMO with the regimented cross stitch grid.

Thoughts on what I should do? Maybe shorter lines and sticking REALLY carefully to the stitching grid? Maybe French knots?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Since you've already finished that one, you might hit it with a coat of acrylic paint (maybe thinned out with water so it isn't totally opaque?) to even it out. I'd do a test sample on a scrap first, though.

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
I'm not sure what to recommend to improve that particular piece (honestly I think it looks okay) but in future I'd try thread conditioner, I find it really helps to even out older threads. Get the silicon stuff like Thread Magic, don't waste any time on the beeswax ones.

Also you can try stitching with more strands when you're using a colour that contrasts a lot with your fabric (like this black on your white fabric). I find stitching with three strands instead of the standard two gives a LOT of coverage on 14/28 count fabric. I don't usually do it because you can't do loop starts with an odd number of strands and I'm anal about how neat the back is, but it really does look good. You can also get similar coverage with two strands on 18 count aida.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Expensive thread is expensive for a reason, cheap thread is cheap for the opposite reason. That being said, 3 strands on 14 count aida is my standard even with high quality thread, it makes a world of difference. With cheaper threads, I seem to recall they'd get grottier the more times they were pulled through the fabric to a much greater extent than good thread, so maybe use shorter lengths?

As for your Tricorder, I'd be wary of paint simply because it can seep into fabric and spread and might make it's way beyond the outline. I think it looks fine to be honest, if you don't like looking at it you could gift it to someone, that's what happens to most of my projects.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Usually after a wash and dry, I find that the threads fluff up a bit and result in less spottiness. But I also love to use too much thread on high-count aida, so ymmv.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Does anyone here design their own patterns? What I mean is, I'd love to create a pattern out of random ideas I've had (like those nuclear waste storage warnings), but I can't actually draw and I certainly am not good at calligraphy. Any suggestions about any programs I could look into for this? Appreciated!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

That looks a lot like the style Hook, Line & Tinker patterns have. If you like that, check out their store, they're great! https://hooklinetinker.com/

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I have sometimes made my own patterns by basically cutting and pasting different parts together from patterns in the Antique Pattern Library. However, I am a cheapskate and went about it by creating a grid in GIMP and lining up the different pattern pieces with it. It was super clunky but it got the job done for personal projects where I wasn't planning on sharing the pattern itself. I think most people who make patterns more seriously use PC Stitch.

Edit: just realized it's not clear if you mean embroidery or cross-stitch, this post mostly applies to cross-stitch (but APL also has embroidery patterns you can scavenge from)

Everett False fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 19, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I will often use my laptop screen as a lightbox and trace images on fabric with a blue disappearing pen, or use carbon paper if I have a printed image to copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Seconding the Antique Pattern Library and PC Stitch!