Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

WIP.

Quote is not originally from Toy Story, dammit!

Pattern from this delightfully nerdy book. I borrowed it from the library and used my work scanner to copy several patterns out.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16058658-cross-stitch

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Quote is not edit!

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Skutter posted:

This looks amazing! I love that it's the original tricorder too. I'd love to see the finished version.

Separately for any hand embroidery people: how the heck so I get my satin stitch to be flat? When I look at satin stitches in patterns and examples, it's always flat. When I do it, it's rounded and I have to press it down to flatten out. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you! Binging The Crown and pretending to be an elegant lady who does her stitching. ;)

Thought on the satin stitch: are you twisting your hand strangely? I find that my thread always twists, and I think it's just some kind of technique error... I have to periodically hold up the hoop and let the thread spin free and then continue. I'm not experienced, though, so just a thought.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I think some folks find embroidery intimidating, especially if they've only done cross stitch like I did as a kid. My sister got me this cute star signs book for my birthday last year, and I've done one of the patterns. I thought it turned out very nice! Just need a circular frame.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

CaptainBeefart posted:

I dig it! Love the contrast with the black fabric.

Does anyone else get really hard on themselves internally when working with the details of a piece? I've never been happy with my work until it's finished and I can step back and take it all in.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yeah, it's like you get way too bogged down in the tiny details that no one else is going to notice. It's like that for most all of my projects, actually.

Always. I hosed up a letter (lowercase fancy letter g) on my current project and showed it to my husband like, "man, that sucks, but I don't want to unpick it now..." And he says "literally, I can't even tell the difference between this g and that g. Looks nice! It looks the same to me." It'll go in my cubicle or I'll press, frame, and send it to a friend.

On the mesa scene I posted above, it could have been done more neatly, I guess, but it was fun to do, so I'm good with it. I ain't entering competitions or doing the really cool show pieces some goons do, so it's fine. Next one will be prettier!

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 1, 2021

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Hi thread, a few weeks ago I bought an embroidery kit from my local art museum. Here's the result!

It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing more projects in the future :3:

This looks awesome! Nicely done!

Question: I bought really cheap thread from eBay or something just to do little projects on the couch while watching Netflix. I'm not worried about them not being perfect, but I'd like them to look nice, and the cheap thread is very nubbly and uneven.

I did this little Star Trek design, and the solid black shows how uneven the thread looks. I thought I could add some metallic accents as a distraction but I sort of hate it. It looks super freehand which contrasts IMO with the regimented cross stitch grid.

Thoughts on what I should do? Maybe shorter lines and sticking REALLY carefully to the stitching grid? Maybe French knots?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I do use Thread Magic conditioner but it didn't help much. Maybe my strands were just too long!

I ended up just doing a grid using some DMC metallic and am happy with it. It'll go in my cubicle when I return to the office. ;)

I definitely think I'll switch to three threads for the 14 count aida. I'd love to score some floss at a yard sale or thrift store!

Edited to add: anyone have recs for those embroidery reinforcement sheets? I'd like it to be water-soluble, press-on, and transparent enough to trace a design on. The sheets I'm seeing are kinda pricey to me, so I'm wondering if I should just get the water-soluble kind that isn't sticky and just tack as needed. I'd like to do a relatively big embroidery for a friend who's having a baby in August, and I'm not trusting myself if it's kinda big and will be taken in and out of a hoop at night.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 2, 2022

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I'm doing this pattern as a surprise for a pregnant friend. My husband helped me trace it to muslin using pencil on a computer monitor, which is working great so far!

https://www.dmc.com/us/doves-embroidery-9011407.html

I chose pink flowers, green vines, and gray doves, rather than monochrome.

I am slowwwww, but thankfully she's not due until August. Once she announces the name, I'll do the baby's name in the middle.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Variegated DMC 51 (burnt orange) WIP

I used the Pixel Stitch app to make a simple 5"x5" pattern from clip art:

Why didn't I try variegated floss before?! :iia: aaaahhhh I love how cool it looks, but I can just sit and stitch mindlessly while watching 1960s Star Trek!

Edit: I'm stitching Danish method, not English. Examples are here for anyone else who wants to try!

It takes a moment for me to pause changing threads because my little piece will have white space, but super cool product to me!

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 16, 2022

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Betazoid posted:

Variegated DMC 51 (burnt orange) WIP

I used the Pixel Stitch app to make a simple 5"x5" pattern from clip art:

Why didn't I try variegated floss before?! :iia: aaaahhhh I love how cool it looks, but I can just sit and stitch mindlessly while watching 1960s Star Trek!

Edit: I'm stitching Danish method, not English. Examples are here for anyone else who wants to try!

It takes a moment for me to pause changing threads because my little piece will have white space, but super cool product to me!

Matted, framed, and ready for gifting!

I liked the variegated so much I'm doing a simple baby gift next for a sweet baby with a mercifully short name:

Only the C has been outlined so far.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Turbinosamente posted:

I finished a thing.

That looks awesome! So tidy! It looks so neat and very well done.

Finished my thing and mailed it to my friend. Shouldn't have done a white mat but it's loving close to Christmas y'all and she can hopefully put it in something that looks better with the cream. I need to plan better.

I do projects pretty lazily, honestly. I get my aida cloth from Goodwill and normally frames as well. It's amazing that new things get donated. I have been using actual DMC from eBay for these rainbow stitch projects, but I also do some in just cheap thread from Amazon. I just like making something, even if it's not as professional as what other goons do. :)

Posting after taking a zzzquil, so I guess I just wanted to say that I like it all, the strange grab bag projects and the carefully planned work with the best thread. Everyone should try cross stitch!

Oh, yeah, and I just remembered: my MIL and I went through her Christmas stuff to help her downsize. She found a beautiful cross stitch she started in 1987, paused on, resumed in 1989 (freehanding the greenery instead of the year), and put away. It has maybe an hour of work to go. She had two kids under five at the time, so I get it.

This one:

She said she'd finish it this year maybe, and I hope she does! Never too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Turbinosamente posted:

Last two projects. Some stuff worked other stuff did not. And now while I finish designing something else I have started a hell kit from the 90s....

I'm gonna have to typewriter it and I think 10 x 13 inches is the largest thing I've ever embarked on? As a result it's gonna be a while before this actually looks like something. This also will technically be a Christmas present for a relative; anyone else start on Christmas gifts yet? Only 10 months to go!

Very nice! I love the middle one and the warmth of the berries. Did you design the pattern?

I should start on Christmas. I screen shotted the cutest loving pattern from CrossStitcher magazine. It's designed to be the front of a cushion and has Santa enjoying all these winter activities, like skiing, sledding, drinking cocoa, etc. It would be a big piece, though, and the idea of putting months into something that will realistically be displayed for 3 weeks a year puts me off it.

I don't really know anyone who would appreciate cross stitch, so I just do it for myself and pick patterns I like to look at and will rotate them around as needed. I want a dedicated library / sitting room / corner where I can blow into a bubble pipe and drink sherry from those miniature glasses, so I'm doing mini masterpieces and framing them in tiny frames from Goodwill. My dream library has a little reading corner with a gallery wall of miniature Renoir, Van Gogh, Vermeer, Monet, etc. So cozy! :wotwot:

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 22, 2023