Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Man, sounds like he's harder on black people to me. And I'm not seeing where he called you a devil, or all white people devils? He seemed mostly to be criticizing people who murder black folks, like Zimmerman. Don't murder anybody and I think you can keep on this guy's good side. That and keep selling him weed I guess.

You're being oversensitive, you're not the first nor shall you be the last.

If you look at the comment at bottom in middle of the page, he says something like "white, mutant devil dogs".

I also do not sell him weed...he lives in NYC and I live on the west coast. I've never met him in real life, that's why I've always said "FB friend." As I said before, we got along and agreed the first year or two we were friends on FB. We still are cordial -- as I stated, he has never directly attacked me or criticized me as an individual.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Also, MarksMan, do you honestly think your father would have had comparable opportunities if he was black? Good on him for clawing his way up from poverty AND for not being a shithead, but I doubt there's a white man in this country that hasn't gotten better treatment than a black man in the same conditions would have. (I guess some weird hypothetical of a white guy in an almost entirely black community getting systematically poo poo on would qualify, but even then the reverse is way more common.)

No, I totally understand and recognize he would most definitely would NOT have had the same opportunities if he was black and growing up in the 50's and 60's in Jackson, MS.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarksMan posted:

Uhm, since when was I just "really upset?" I'm more upset that I find myself the one being attacked, but whatever. I think I am a pretty chill guy...my job pretty much requires it

MarksMan posted:

Why would I make up that he's calling me a "devil?"

He called white people devils and you're taking it as directed at you, personally. The problem though is that your first instinct isn't to go "Why would a black person feel this way," your first instinct is to call them delusional and fall immediately into a denial of white privilege just like every comfortable white kid ever. If a brief glimpse into this sort of powerless and inconsequential negative feelings against your race is being taken this personally, you should thank your lucky stars you're not black because you couldn't handle it.

Imagine what you're feeling now, except it's an entire society telling you these things every day of your life, in ways both subtle and deafening.

edit: In fact, you can stop this facebook conversation and never have to hear about how white people murderers are the devil ever again. He doesn't have that option.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 15, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He seems to have been talking about murderers who get off because they are white. I think "mutant devil dogs" is a perfectly reasonable description of murderers, and it's kind of important to specify that they were white because after all, that's why they got off.

And he also called black people coons in that same post. Not that it excuses anything, but I think dude was pretty frustrated.

e:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A modest proportion of whites, when presented with black movements that were making headway, elected to join in rather than continuing to push back. I don't really see how you can deny LBJ some credit for some improvement.

No definitely not. But LBJ did it out of shrewdness, not ethics and as you say he wouldn't have done poo poo if MLK hadn't been doing this on a regular basis:

(Note LBJ's thrilled expression)

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 15, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sharkie posted:

He called white people devils and you're taking it as directed at you, personally. The problem though is that your first instinct isn't to go "Why would a black person feel this way," your first instinct is to call them delusional and fall immediately into a denial of white privilege just like every comfortable white kid ever. If a brief glimpse into this sort of powerless and inconsequential negative feelings against your race is being taken this personally, you should thank your lucky stars you're not black because you couldn't handle it.

Imagine what you're feeling now, except it's an entire society telling you these things every day of your life, in ways both subtle and deafening.

I said plenty of times before I don't take it that he is attacking ME. I have said numerous times now that he has never personally attacked me or been negative to me. And my life was anything but comfortable? Again you guys don't know me but are just assuming all sorts of poo poo...

SedanChair posted:

He seems to have been talking about murderers who get off because they are white. I think "mutant devil dogs" is a perfectly reasonable description of murderers, and it's kind of important to specify that they were white because after all, that's why they got off.

And he also called black people coons in that same post. Not that it excuses anything, but I think dude was pretty frustrated.

Ok man, whatever. You win. You are right and I am wrong. I am over sensitive and he is just frustrated often and vents but does not mean it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MarksMan posted:

Apologies for not having these immediately available for your review, and I don't really know my way around Paint, but this was the best I could do to put together all of it in one image:

Why would I make up that he's calling me a "devil?" Do you really think I just sit around thinking of who doesn't like me and thinking black people are out to get me? You don't know me at all man...so I dunno whatever. I'm not going to go find more statements of his because it took enough drat time to piece all that poo poo together in one image.

Whoever this dude is, he is definitely a racist, and probably mentally unstable. Best to just ignore his rantings on Facebook, especially if you're the race of people he seems to hate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Whoever this dude is, he is definitely a racist, and probably mentally unstable. Best to just ignore his rantings on Facebook, especially if you're the race of people he seems to hate.

Ooh! Come on Arkane, you're making it too easy.

MarksMan posted:

Ok man, whatever. You win. You are right and I am wrong. I am over sensitive and he is just frustrated often and vents but does not mean it.

I have my doubts about your sincerity. But the power to disengage when challenged is a part of your privilege, so enjoy it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Arkane posted:

Whoever this dude is, he is definitely a racist

the good kind though

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarksMan posted:

I said plenty of times before I don't take it that he is attacking ME. I have said numerous times now that he has never personally attacked me or been negative to me.

You literally said:

MarksMan posted:

MarksMan posted:

And my life was anything but comfortable? Again you guys don't know me but are just assuming all sorts of poo poo...

Fair enough, though would you agree though that your life is more comfortable than it would be if you were black?

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sharkie posted:

You literally said:

Fair enough, though would you agree though that your life is more comfortable than it would be if you were black?

He was referring to all white people as devils, so that would include me, no? And yes I agree my life would have been less comfortable if I was black.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Admittedly I skipped the last White Man World Domination Plot Meeting and Potluck Dinner but if I recall correctly the latest edition of the White Man World Domination Plot Handbook, in Chapter V (Black People), subsection 3 (The Ones that are Bad at Sports & Rap), states that the plan is still to re-institute slavery but with some neat reality show elements.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MarksMan posted:

He was referring to all white people as devils, so that would include me, no?

No. He appears to have been referring specifically to white men who murder blacks and then claim a motive of self-defense. It's common for white people to assume that criticisms of specific whites that nonetheless mention the word "white" are meant to apply to all whites. Because a lot of white folks aren't used to hearing poo poo talked about white folks and it sets them into a frenzy. Not saying that's you. Not saying it isn't

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarksMan posted:

He was referring to all white people as devils, so that would include me, no?

MarksMan posted:

I said plenty of times before I don't take it that he is attacking ME. I have said numerous times now that he has never personally attacked me or been negative to me.

MarksMan posted:

MarksMan posted:

They are under many delusions. We are the white devils. "We" are holding them back, "we" are supplying all the drugs in the hood, "we" want to keep them down and have vast, elaborate, long-ranging conspiracies to do so.

You're kind of all over the place with this one but despite your insistence that you feel he isn't attacking you, you are claiming that you feel he's calling you a "devil." So again, my advice to you is to thank God or Dame Fortuna or whoever that you're a white person in America because otherwise you'd have an entire society telling you these things, and worse, and you couldn't ignore it by closing a facebook page.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MarksMan posted:

He was referring to all white people as devils, so that would include me, no? And yes I agree my life would have been less comfortable if I was black.

You're not on trial for being white, dude. Relax.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sucrose posted:

Are people seriously wondering if the present status quo is better than literal chattel slavery?
Pretty sure zero people have said that, more like the status quo is really terrible and has persisted a lot of its problems.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
The world wasn't falling apart until slavery was abolished.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Dear Bonafide White Person MarksMan:

Hello! I am Bonafide White Person Quantum Finger! I have similar stories concerning MY dad and MY grandpa and all that stuff. I have neither personally owned nor shot any Bonafide Black People. I am pointing out my credentials so you will listen to me while I try to give the assist.

I agree with your FB friend and you should listen to everything SedanChair has said in this thread, especially his first post. You should step back, take a deep breath, and ask your FB friend for some reading on the subject, and then you should actually read the materials he suggests. You are lucky your FB friend is newly radicalized, because those guys have the patience to deal with people like you and me, who have grown up blind. They can never make us see, but they can teach us what it is LIKE to see. We live in a sick, racist society, and if you have thoughts and feelings and privileges that could be considered racist, they are a product of the society you grew up in. If, upon confrontation, you PERSIST in these thoughts and feelings and never think about your privileges, then, well, you start to become the problem. So please listen to your friend, please read books on Black history, and try to see why he feels the way he feels. He has every reason to be angry. Feel lucky that you do not.

And here's some food for thought: your dad marched in the civil rights protests... what are YOU doing to help the cause?

Sincerely,
Bonafide White Person Quantum Finger

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
You should have listened to me, OP.

You've fallen deep into the well of sanctimonious white self-hatred that is D&D and there is no escape now except to drown yourself, or to admit your unworthiness and pray forgiveness from black jesus because if it's white it can't be right.

Good luck goon.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
It depends. Do slaves know C#?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Having some perspective on the world isn't self-hatred. Goddamn, if you want to talk about sanctimonious bullshit, just check out wateroverfire's post, he can't nail himself to the cross of internet persecution fast enough.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Q: What do you call a dead white person?

A: A good start.

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
Wow marksman I didn't think 12% of the population could be collectively deluded but the caricature black person in your head is where you get your information from so I totally understand.

By the by, if you meet a black person talking about white people holding them down, chances are he is literally talking about being turned down for jobs because he wasn't white enough. He is talking about the racism he experiences existing in his attempts to even look for a job. Whether this is percieved or actual (unemployment is awful for everybody), I think that calling his entire race deluded isn't very nice.

Now please, all of D&D, go back to shouting sanctimonious academic white privilege shibboleths at the FYAD/GIPpers who prove every day that ironic and edgy racism will always lead to actual racism.

(ironic) White nationalists who spend half their day watching youtube videos of black people mug white people and pretending like its evidence of an anti-white racial conspiracy vs. college students who have never even seen a black person in their suburban, middle-class lives and are more interested in bigging up their egos verbally defending the downtrodden on the internet to excuse the fact that they have not had a single day of hardship. That's the state of debate and discussion now and forever.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Filippo Corridoni posted:

college students who have never even seen a black person in their suburban, middle-class lives and are more interested in bigging up their egos verbally defending the downtrodden on the internet to excuse the fact that they have not had a single day of hardship

project much?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Having some perspective on the world isn't self-hatred.

It's the part where that perspective is extremely skewed and promotes self hatred.

GBS has a much better read on the world than D&D.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

promotes self hatred.

as a white person, if you have to hate yourself in order to recognize the role that race has and continues to play in society...

you're doing it right

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

It's the part where that perspective is extremely skewed and promotes self hatred.

Yes, get over your self hatred. Practice self love instead! Secure a future for yourself and your children.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Lacking some sort of massive catastrophe that regresses society, I can't see de-jure slavery making a comeback. Wage labor has completely substituted it, there's no point. Capitalist exploitation is just as profitable.

It's important to understand that the racialized component of slavery was something that started in the enlightenment period: the romans and etc. did not have that concept, yet slavery obviously still existed. So it's not just matter of more racist -> more slavery or whatever, it's fundamentally an economic system. The racialized component served as kind of buffer against poor whites agitating, because they ultimately benefited from the system. So you have an obvious power heirarchy.

wateroverfire posted:

You should have listened to me, OP.

You've fallen deep into the well of sanctimonious white self-hatred that is D&D and there is no escape now except to drown yourself, or to admit your unworthiness and pray forgiveness from black jesus because if it's white it can't be right.

Good luck goon.
Hmmm, so you're saying that white people who work for racial equality hate themselves? Interesting take there Mr wateroverfire.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 15, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

wateroverfire posted:

I'm going to throw in with the thread consensus. Thank whatever gods you believe in that you are a straight white man, because if a few people commenting on the internet send you into a tizzy about white persecution, you wouldn't be able to handle being a minority in the Real World, where a big chunk of society demonizes you openly, legislation to take away your rights is commonly passed, and prejudice actually has a material effect on your quality of life.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
OP, why did you include the anti-hair relaxer group in your FB cropping? Hair relaxer is pretty nasty stuff, more people should hate it.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Boy, this argument sure has gone off the loving rails. It's like watching college freshmen attempt to impress their professors with their edginess now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

Boy, this argument sure has gone off the loving rails. It's like watching college freshmen attempt to impress their professors with their edginess now.

You're next.

rudatron posted:

Hmmm, so you're saying that white people who work for racial equality hate themselves? Interesting take there Mr wateroverfire.

It's a zero-sum game. Only one race can prevail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

(self-hatred)

(self-love)

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

rudatron posted:

Hmmm, so you're saying that white people who work for racial equality hate themselves?

Nah what I'm saying is that's not what's going on here.

Less words: lolD&D.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wateroverfire posted:

You've fallen deep into the well of sanctimonious white self-hatred that is D&D.

Not only white, but male, American and a small business owner. Public enemy #1 of the revolutionaries.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

SedanChair posted:

[...]
No definitely not. But LBJ did it out of shrewdness, not ethics and as you say he wouldn't have done poo poo if MLK hadn't been doing this on a regular basis:

(Note LBJ's thrilled expression)

The expression might have been his gall bladder acting up. Also, if you look at the timing of the Civil Rights Act, LBJ got that through congress in very short order. It was a top priority of his from the start.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
White people get more offended about anti-white racism than anyone else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Beaters posted:

The expression might have been his gall bladder acting up. Also, if you look at the timing of the Civil Rights Act, LBJ got that through congress in very short order. It was a top priority of his from the start.

Because he looooved black people.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I guess I don't think it's fair to say that LBJ got the civil rights act through entirely out of self interest, considering the political price he paid. I wouldn't dispute the general idea that black activism was primarily responsible for civil rights though.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Pretty sure zero people have said that, more like the status quo is really terrible and has persisted a lot of its problems.

Actually SedanChair did literally say that, it's on page 3. The idea that even slight progress in social justice could have been made in the past 200 years goes against the fundamental beliefs of far-leftism, so you'd see people argue that water isn't wet if it lines up with their ideology about the state of the world.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is this now the general unpopular posters complain about D&D's monolithic ideology thread?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

Actually SedanChair did literally say that, it's on page 3. The idea that even slight progress in social justice could have been made in the past 200 years goes against the fundamental beliefs of far-leftism, so you'd see people argue that water isn't wet if it lines up with their ideology about the state of the world.

Again, like most liberals you're obsessed with the narrative of progress. Slavery was obsolete, and social justice had little to do with its obsolescence. Of all the reasons for its gradual replacement by wage slavery, sharecropping and the expansion and industrialization of the prison state, the fact that it was an abhorrent practice did not really amount to anything. If northern capitalists had been able to profit through the plantation system they would have used it. They could not, so they supported the arguments of abolitionists instead. If capitalists now were able to profit through the use of chattel slavery they would use it, and advance talking points to make it legal.

Chattel slavery was expensive. Why invest in the value of a man when you can simply spend him, and lose nothing when he dies? That's our present system. For the most part we don't see its most extreme forms within the borders of the US, but we benefit from outsourcing brutal slavery and exploitation to other nations.

The abolition of slavery is certainly nothing for whites to congratulate themselves about, which is what the OP was angling for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arkane posted:

Not only white, but male, American and a small business owner. Public enemy #1 of the revolutionaries.

This but unironically. Eat the rich, kill whitey.

• Locked thread