Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

Slavery still persists today in the agricultural sector. Florida farmworker organizations allege that there's over a thousand literal slaves - minority workers in involuntary servitude, forced to work for masters who buy and sell them as if they were objects - working various fields in Florida today, and have enough escaped slaves and imprisoned slaveowners to prove they're not just making it all up.

My father works in shirt printing in florida and was asked by his boss one day to pick up shirts from a different shop down near miami. He said when he got there you could see prison bars on these little rooms that looked like they kept there workers in. He also noticed the spanish workers hands were cuffed to where they were working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

E-Tank posted:

Did he report it to the police? 'cause...that sounds like a slave run labor camp.

He did an anonymous tip after he was laid off like six months later. I don't know if anything came of it.

If you're surprised about stuff like this happening, right now where I live in a poor Spanish area their is a cocaine dealing business going on under cover of being a repair shop. Its open twenty four hours and you never see them actually working on anycars AND it's most "busy" at night. All the cops know they're there and yet do nothing. The word on the street is that they're giving kickbacks to the cops so they can operate. This is still in florida.

EA Sports fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 15, 2014

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Omi-Polari posted:

This kind of thinking is a reflection of a strain of paranoia among a minority within the black community. It's not entirely paranoid or unjustified (whites did -- in fact -- enslave them), but it's still paranoid. Most white people would be appalled at the thought today.

It's a harrowing image and shows a practice I think should probably be abolished, but do you think voluntary convict labor is a form of slavery? Exploitation, yes. But slavery is a different thing. I sometimes see thinly-sourced articles about this which use the angle "modern-day slavery" which strikes me as acknowledging it's not the same thing. Convict labor has long existed even when slavery was around and is still considered constitutional -- although not when coerced.

Many prisons charge you for being kept there. If you do not work while you are there they will hold you on a poo poo load of money when you get out. If you don't pay it it doesn't just mess up your credit either, since you technically owe the government. They can withhold issuing you a license.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
It was a joke thread by a negative postcount dude in gbs.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Everybody faces racism. what do you mean? :confused:

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

You better not be a white person relating this anecdote otherwise some black feminist on a blog says shut up.

I am and I generally agree with the sentiment. Racism makes more sense as a systemic benefit to a class thats primarily based on race or culture, which is what it's like in most of the world. Hopefully that's how they're teaching children about it now rather than just racism = hating because of skin like when we were in school.

The way I experienced racism imo is that even though I grew up in a poor black neighborhood and got a felony. I literally got a job instantly in that neighborhood after I got out even though many of my friends have been jobless for months. Make matters worse I wouldn't even have a felony if cops didnt try to pin one crime commited by a dude in a car to the other people who were there in that neighborhood. its a systemic effect from stereotypes and cultural holdovers of a truly racist society.

EA Sports fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

SickZip posted:

True Story: In men, bicep circumference is a good predictor of being right-wing or left-wing. Physical strength exerts more of an effect than actual economic circumstances. Weaker men are inclined to be left economically while stronger men favor the right. So yeah, probably.

That's more of a rural/city thing than what you are alluding to.

• Locked thread