Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Has anyone ever considered that there might be a happy medium between "WHITE PRIDE WORLDWIDE" and "I am the devil and should literally kill myself because I have light skin"

Like, I'm a white dude. Yeah, white people do a lot of bad poo poo, and yeah, I've gotten a lot of breaks that I wouldn't have gotten if I weren't white. However, on a personal level, I try my absolute hardest to not be an oppressive piece of poo poo. On a systemic level, there's not a whole lot I can do, but I still call people out when they say bad poo poo and vote in favor of policies that don't gently caress minorities over. I wish there was more I could do to fix the problem, but short of literal magic, I'm pretty sure there isn't, so I don't personally lose any sleep over it because I'm doing the best I can. Why do none of the people who are pissed off about "white guilt" ever see this as a valid option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I dunno, I feel like there are probably true believers who aren't using "white guilt" as a dogwhistle and are just thoroughly misunderstanding anti-racist activism because of a lack of information (because shockingly enough if you aren't actively involved in this stuff, you never ever hear about it other than the lunatic fringe).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

enbot posted:

Like shocker, maybe both statements : "White people oppress blacks in America" and "black people steal TVs" are awful things to say and any attempt to justify either statements should be repulsive to any thinking person.

I mean, one is a lot more wrong than the other. Even if you don't actively hate black people, American culture is dominated by white people and the result is that there's a lot of stereotyping and other microaggressions that are deeply ingrained in (even well-meaning) white people unless they're aware of and actively avoiding them. Meanwhile, black people don't have it drilled into their heads that they should steal TVs from the white devils by American culture.

If you're arguing that not every white person oppresses black people, you're being a pedantic rear end, whereas if you're arguing that not all black people steal TVs you're just not massively out of touch with reality.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

natetimm posted:

You just couldn't imagine a person like that exists who wouldn't think you guys are doing him a real huge favor, huh?

Dude, I don't think you're understanding what they hate.

What they hate isn't progressivism or the idea that white people oppress them, but nominally-well-meaning paternalistic bullshit. There's a reason why "white liberal feminists" are considered pretty much the scourge of social justice by most serious activists, and it's not because POCs don't like progressive movements or are terribly fond of white people.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sure you're relieved to discover that he's not literally salivating at the thought of sinking his teeth into the soft, meaty, overfed flesh of the 1%.

Unfortunately for them, I am :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How the gently caress did you get "stay quiet, uppity blacks" out of "black people need to do more than just speak up"?

• Locked thread