Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Slavery was a long-standing practice in Africa before the Europeans showed up, with slaves captured by other African tribes being sold to the Ottoman Empire for centuries beforehand. Apparently some North African states still practice outright slavery to this very day. It's not all about white racism and Africans were participants as well as victims of the slave trade. Arguably, if the Africans and Ottomans hadn't already set up a fully functioning system of slavery before the Europeans showed up then there might not have been any slaves transported to Africa at all, since it wasn't a European invention in the first place. That's not to say that there wasn't immense cruelty and suffering inflicted by the Europeans/colonialists on the African slaves.

There were powerful economic motivations for slavery in America, which probably had a lot more to do with slavery being propagated than some all-consuming desire of whites to dominate blacks. Dehumanizing the slaves through an ideology of racial supremacy was no doubt convenient to keep the system going; otherwise there might be (and was) a moral outcry against the practice. Racism is probably more of a symptom than a cause of slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You realize white supremacists love this bullshit argument, right? Slavery existing across the ancient and medieval world, including Europe, does not absolve Europeans from the mass forced migration of African chattel slaves to be worked to death in the Americas. Slavery isn't a European or African invention, it is a Human invention because we historically are terrible to each other. There's no way to argue this point that 'Africans did it first!' without sounding like a massive tool.

The Atlantic Slave Trade may not have been directly based in racism but it very quickly created a deep and pervasive racism against Africans in the Americas which easily transferred over to Africans in general.

Slavery existed in the ancient world in Europe; but it took off in the colonial period when Europeans came into contact with African tribes selling slaves. I think it's perfectly reasonable to hypothesize that if it weren't for the slave trade in Africa already existing at that time, then there might not have been a transatlantic slave trade at all. While some white supremacists may seek to absolve the Europeans of any responsibility with similar arguments that is not my goal. My point was that racism was a symptom of slavery rather than a cause of it. Your second point is similar to what I said myself in that regard.

e: spelling

Mukip fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 14, 2014

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That's missing the point. Colonial slavery is often attributed to a non-economic explanation of white racism, and pointing out that the African slave trade existed independently of Europeans is worth pointing out to correct that. I am not arguing that racism somehow doesn't exist or wasn't a factor in the slave trade or whatever it is you are insisting in reading into my posts.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
As I see it, you are pretty much just rewording what I already said and then accusing me of being a closet white supremacist. I don't really care if you have anecdotal experience of somebody who made a similar arguement who was racist.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Or alternately, stop making GBS threads up the thread with your unnecessary hostile attitude. Whether an arguement "sounds like something a baddy would say" has no logical bearing on it's merit.

• Locked thread