Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

did you know that more blacks today own a refrigerator than slaves???? also their granite countertops!!!

I own one refrigerator, and zero slaves, so I can vouch for this anecdotally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

It only took 8 pages but this is the real reason. Thanks guys once again D&D delivers.

Actually if you read the thread this got mentioned on like the second or third page.

Having white pride is like bragging that you beat someone in Street Fighter, but you doubled your health and also you unplugged their controller twice during the fight.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

enbot posted:

Like shocker, maybe both statements : "White people oppress blacks in America" and "black people steal TVs" are awful things to say and any attempt to justify either statements should be repulsive to any thinking person.

Jesus Christ I wish I was white. I wish that this was the level of racism that was directed at me.

Like, being accused of being an oppressor is a way more managable stereotype than being a rapist/thief/illiterate/monkey/whatever.

White people have it so good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sorry for taking your words at face value. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish is a really smart poster who has made a bunch of good posts in this thread.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

natetimm posted:

Well first, it's not the trans-species or whatever tumblr blogs I'm referencing when I talk about Tumblr activism in the context of this thread. It's the ugly, slacktivist, echo-chamber bullshit ones that create this giant feedback loop of privilege checking alongside an endless contest of who is the most oppressed and how. It was once a running joke but more and more I see the bullshit mentality leaking into other facets of life and gaining traction and legitimacy. In all honesty I can understand why a black person would want to tell a white idiot like SedanChair describes to shut up, but I don't think trying to shame or force them into doing it, especially somewhere as volatile and anonymous as the internet, is a reasonable expectation. Do I think a feminist or black activist giving a live talk in person on issues that impact them has the right to ask those people to shut the gently caress up while they do so? Absolutely. Do I think that right extends to every idiot on the internet whose opinion happens to coincide with those activists? No. If you're going to bring your opinion into the maelstrom of terrible opinions that is the internet and shout them at people, you don't get to hide behind that barrier of protection anymore. Someone's capability of marginalizing you is already greatly reduced by the relative amount of anonymity and impersonal nature of the net itself, and that's the chance you take when you bring it to such a huge open forum.

In general, no one is commanding that you shut up. No one has that power over you. They're just asking that if you're a clueless white guy, that you should be quiet and listen (until you are knowledgeable and can contribute to the conversation) when minorities are talking about issues surrounding race.

Just like men should be quiet and listen (until you are knowledgeable and can contribute to the conversation) when women are talking about women's issues.

Just like non-surgeons should be quiet and listen (until you are knowledgeable and can contribute to the conversation) when doctors are talking about open-heart surgery.

So on and so forth. I don't think it's an echo-chamber, or marginalizing, to ask people who are ignorant on a topic to listen, learn, and then eventually speak. That's how...you stop being ignorant.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

vintagepurple posted:

Who gives a poo poo about what some idiot slacktivists on tumblr say?

People on tumblr being utterly useless has no relevance to the very real problems facing minorities in America. Shut the everloving gently caress up you loving cracker rear end honky.

edit: Zelder is wrong I'm telling you right now to shut the gently caress up you shitheel. The paleface is a demon.

Oh no disagreement here. That's why I've literally dedicated my whole life to stealing away white women, and making sure my white friends suffer the onerous weight of WHITE GUILT (which is just as bad as the poo poo that black people have to go through, totally).

edit: KILL WHITEY. AVeryLargeRadish, when you get to this, I want you to know, that I unironically mean this and that there is no irony in my statement. Take me at face value!

Zelder fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 20, 2014

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

on the left posted:

When my Russian girlfriend thinks that Russia should put homosexuals to death and expel muslims from the country, should I listen to her and agree because Russians know what is best for their country, or should I mansplain to her and use cultural imperialism to change her mind?

Yeah man, gay rights and religious issues are purely Russian issues, and only Russians would know what's up on that front. Gays and Muslims only exist in relation to Russians, so we gotta go through them first to understand these inscrutable figures. You nailed me to the loving wall on this one, man.

Edit again: Technically, it would be Amerisplain (or FREEDOMSPLAIN :911:), because we're talking about her Russian nationality, not her gender. If you're going to be pithy you gotta come correct, son.

Edit: also natetimm I know you're poo poo posting, but keep ignoring me and I'll have you brought before the High Black Council, where Sharpton, Kanye, and half of Obama dole out racial justice.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 20, 2014

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A black person complaining about white people is a person punching upwards, so the venting makes sense (white people oppress black people, black people don't oppress white people)

A straight person complaining about gay people is a person punching downwards, so they're just being a dickhole, which is the case of your fictional, homophobic, xenophobic Russian Girlfrien.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

In what position would a white person have the reasonable belief that they didn't get the job promotion because of their race?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"Honey, I'm sorry to call with bad news, but I didn't get the promotion. I'm beginning to think that Ebony magazine might not be the right fit for me, John Van Der Smoot the 3rd."

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

rudatron posted:

It's pretty telling that you automatically equivocate between 'slacktivism solves nothing' and 'uppity blacks', that sounds like a very convenient tool for you.

Raising awareness is garbage and always will be. No one's telling people to not share their experiences, but you're delusion if you think a post-race society is one anecdote or one graph away; it's not, that's not how ideology works, and you're naive if you think otherwise.

So should I...overthrow the social order?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

He presents racism as the insidious enemy that's everywhere - and if you don't see it, it's only because it makes you blind to its presence. This makes dismissing anyone who criticizes the article in any way incredibly easy. If you disagree with any of his claims, you automatically are proven wrong - because it only means you're too racist to perceive how bad your society is.

This is exactly the thing that's prominent in tumblr SJW stuff - their world view doesn't account for possibility they can ever be proven wrong. You can't disagree with them about the level of their oppression, because this either marks you as one of the oppressors or their brainwashed lackeys. You can't criticize their methods or even tone, because of course you are just saying this because you're defending your privilege. They are blogging versions of Monty Python's Black Knight, trying to achieve victory by never

So your argument, then, isn't that racism everywhere? Because that's an interesting position. How would you argue that?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

So your argument is that the truth (and the truth is that racism is everywhere, it's an institutional problem) is unnappealing and unlikely to convince people, so we shouldn't talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The only reason a white person would care about racial issues is because they're a tumblr SJW. The only reason that a black person would talk about their experiences is because they're a tumblr SJW. Furthermore, tumblr SJW's prevent potentially likeminded people from caring about racism, because they're so silly. Additionally, Tumblr Sjw. Tumblr Sjw. Tumblr Sjw! Tumblr? Sjw.

• Locked thread