Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
Curious as to what the Goon world would have to say about this. The below statement was posted by an FB friend who is pretty much a radical Black Panther type who thinks most whites are devils and out to get them. I say this not based on this one post, but on hundreds of others over the last few years. Most of his friends on FB are the same, as you can tell by the responses. Am I delusional to think that this would not have enough support in the 21st century USA to actually gain traction?

"If whites had the chance, by morning slavery would be back with a vengeance......and they would make sure it lasted for all eternity this time

YAY OR NAY?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

E-Tank posted:

As it is, the prison system is basically just slavery 2.0

Make up bullshit reasons to send minorities to jail and then hire them out for 15 cents an hour as physical labor. Boom. You've re-invented the idea of slavery.

Now, bringing slavery back as it was previously? No. I kind of doubt it. Slavery is bad, has been ingrained into our school system. Which is why the prison system formed. It's not slavery, it's what happens when you break the law. And you can break the law by doing just about anything nowadays.

While I agree about the prison system being a form of slavery 2.0, I would have to say it's not ONLY minorities being sent to prison to work for pennies an hour. I'm white and from a lower middle class background and I got locked up when I was 16 over 3 joints of weed (don't EVER move to Wyoming.)

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

wateroverfire posted:

IMO you'd get better input on this topic from GBS.

Hmm, you really think so? I could x-post it there, but I thought here is where people would say it should go.

I've been on SA for like 13 years now, but I haven't visited GBS in probably 7 years or more. Am I wrong to think I would just get sarcastic and non-serious comments from them?

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

There are a few issues with re-instituting slavery in the way mentioned:

- Are all states "forever slave owning states", or can they choose? Even in the Antebellum period you had lots of states that banned slavery.

- Who is being enslaved? For example, are only black people being enslaved, or are Hispanics fair game too? Are Asians and Native Americans also potential slaves? After determining that, who would actually be enslaved? Would it be a punishment for a crime? Would everyone of that race become slaves automatically?

Assuming it's put to a nationwide vote of white people, the chances of it passing seem slim because the states that would directly benefit from slaves are not very populated and/or white (eg, Texas is minority-majority, Alabama only has 4 million people, 2/3 of which are white). If you let individual states decide there's a better chance of passing but it would be confined to places that it would make economic sense.

Also there's a fairly good chance that the Bundy types (as in the actual "gently caress the government" militas) would vote against it because it's the government making people slaves (just like they do with taxes etc etc).

Here's what they had to say when I dare mention the rational fact that this would have to be voted on and get a majority...it's a "disgusting statement":

Am I the one missing something here? Am I just so fooled by my whiteness that I don't see these "realities" they speak ok? Because to me it just sounds like a bunch of BS and Black Panther-type rhetoric this "Joe" is saying

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 14, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sucrose posted:

Is this guy under the illusion that anyone other than whites abolished slavery in the Western world in the first place?

They are under many delusions. We are the white devils. "We" are holding them back, "we" are supplying all the drugs in the hood, "we" want to keep them down and have vast, elaborate, long-ranging conspiracies to do so.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sardine Wit posted:

You know, If you just wanted people to agree your crazy email forward is crazy, we got a thread already for that. Also...

Why did you cut out your reply? Hard to follow this without it.

Here was my reply:

"Joe: Ok nice job of taking what I said out of context and ignoring all other factual points. I was simply elaborating the point that even if it got SOME support, which I predict would be in the single digits, less than 10% if that, it would never get anywhere near a majority, which would be required to "revive" slavery.

Or do you think that "us" whites would put in power "our" white dictator who would just remove the Congress, institute slavery and be damned laws, voting, discussion, etc?"

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Are you really begging goons for ammo to help you win a ridiculous facebook argument?

Actual slavery isn't going to come back because there are plenty of legal ways to oppress and exploit people of color.

Yes, you figured it out. I need to feel superior on Facebook so I gathered the collective "Force" of the Goons to make myself rebut with a superior argument.

But, to be serious, no I gave up responding to them, before I made this post, because I realized nothing I say will change their views. They are convinced that I, as a white person, am against them and that I secretly wish they were slaves. I was just curious as to how a totally different demographic than my Facebook friends would view this. Nothing said here is going to be re-posted there, I have no desire to argue with a broken record.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You could also just listen and ask why they feel this way, instead of arguing that they're wrong.

While I feel the opinions in the OP are extreme and unrealistic, I'm also not surprised. The underlying fear that African Americans will continue to be unfairly dominated and exploited by a society created by and for white Americans is an entirely valid and rational thing. Literal slavery isn't likely to come back but there are enough institutions that impose similar hardship on non-white individuals that slavery is useful as a metaphor for continual poor treatment.

I wholeheartedly understand why they (well, at least my friend on FB) feels this way. I have talked with him for years; I just don't agree with his reasoning behind it. Which I don't feel like getting into on here; I'm not going to argue against someone who isn't here to defend themselves.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

I think you might be ignoring the possibility that both of these things would exist independent of each other regardless. One doesn't have to cause the other.

edit: Just noticed that the OP seems to think that the Black Panthers were some evil/harmful group, haha. It's really depressing that so many white people have re-imagined the civil rights movement as something that MLK just rationally convinced everyone was a good idea or something.

Ok, well I apologize -- I Google'ed and realized that statements I had seen from the "New" Black Panther Party are not endorsed or supported by the original BPP. The "New" BPP is most definitely racist and promotes violence against whites without a doubt and are monitored by the SPLC.

And based on statements from this FB friend and his other friends on FB, they fall more towards the "New" BPP ideology.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why would anyone want to be friends - even Facebook friends - with someone who (they think) wants to enslave them? :psyduck:

Because up until about 1 year ago he was a completely different person. I have no idea what radicalized him, but he went from being normal and non-racial/non-political, to being a hardcore New BPP, "white devil hating" type poo poo.

Also, according to him and his friends (this is something he "shared"), white people did not end slavery -- for some reasoning I don't quite fully understand?

quote:

Also, whites didn’t end slavery. Abraham Lincoln didn’t care about Black people and slavery until he knew that slavery was a very important economic part of the South, so he threatened to end slavery if they didn’t surrender because then the Confederate states would crumble, which is mostly what happened after they had to surrender. Slavery wasn’t necessary over after the Emancipation Proclamation, either. He only freed the slaves in the South. Sharecropping happened so after, which is basically slavery but only with drowning in debt so the Black families could become dependent on the white folk they’re on the land and work for.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 15, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Then why hasn't he unfriended you yet? It doesn't make sense to me! It would be like if I went "Oh yeah, I'm 100% certain that my old buddy Bob would gladly rape me - or any other woman - if he thought he could get away with it, but I'm not unfriending him because of Reasons." Either he believes you're a would-be slaver and hates you or believes you're "one of the good ones" and likes you. Which is it?

EDIT: And if he really does believe you're the white devil, then what are you getting out of the relationship? Why don't you sever?

I think despite me being the white devil, the fact he knows I'm a medical MJ collective owner makes me a little less of a devil since he likes bud. We agreed on a lot of various things before he had this black awakening or whatever you want to call it. We also had a lot of similar things/events in our lives, which makes it that much more confusing...he's never directly called me a "devil" or talked down to me in particular, but when you are constantly degrading the white race as a whole, it's hard not to be offended. So, in short, he does not offend me personally and never is hostile or malicious towards me. I guess it's a good question why I don't un-friend him. I guess it's because, on some level, I like to be able to view a lot of different viewpoints on FB even if I don't agree with them.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

down with slavery posted:

Have you ever taken a look at what the white race has done? You should feel shame for being a part of that, even if you aren't actively part of the problem (spoiler alert, you are)

Offended? Oh heavens deary me how dare they

I don't see why I should feel ashamed for something that my family individually had no involvement in. It's a shame that it happened, but it's a shame the slave trade EVERYWHERE throughout time has happened. It's a shame there was slaves in Egypt, slaves in Africa, and slaves in various European parts.

And, actually, no I am not offended.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Can you post some of these statements? I wonder if you're not being a little oversensitive.

I'm not one to be oversensitive about things like this. And no, I will not post more of his statements because:

1) I don't feel like going through his FB posts to find the applicable ones
2) I didn't make this thread to turn it into an analysis of whether the guy makes racial statements all the time

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 15, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Of course you didn't make the thread for that purpose. You made it to selectively misrepresent your black friends in such a way that you thought goons would be bound to agree with you.

e: VVV :lol:

Right, you got it figured out.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

I just got a PM from the OP stating basically that he's from the one white family in the deep south that never benefited from racism.

I wish I was joking.

Just for you, I'm finding the various comments he made and trying to paste them all together in Paint right now...I don't know why, but you seem to have just came out of the woodwork attacking me and whether what I'm saying is true? I don't understand it, but whatever.

Here's what I sent to him:

"My father came from a dirt poor family and picked cotton (literally, it was the field work available at the time) in 1950's Mississippi to help pay the bills for the family. He also walked in the Civil Rights march when it came through Jackson, MS in the 1960's, not a very popular thing for white's to do at the time I would imagine. He worked his rear end off in school and was doing biochemistry Ph.D. work when he was drafted in Vietnam. They said if he went to medical school and served as a doctor in the field when he was done, they would pay for it; so he did. So he became an M.D. and thankfully for him the war ended before he was done, so he still got it paid for. So, I don't think the little cartoon applies in this instance -- his family didn't get special treatment, he didn't get special treatment getting employment, and I moved out from my parents at 17 and have supported myself since (28 now).

So I don't think the cartoon is really applicable, but I understand the general point you are making. I msg'ed this because I just didn't really feel like putting out a bunch of personal details about my dad for the world to see."

You can take from that what you want, but it still means you weren't right trying to imply that I, as an individual, benefited directly from slavery? Since you had to bring up me sending you something directly, I decided to post it anyways.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 15, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

down with slavery posted:

Wow your Dad is a doctor and you don't think you're the recipient of privilege? Do you understand that JUST BEING WHITE is an advantage? that's what your friend is trying to explain to you.

Nevermind I'm not turning this into a thread about me. And he hasn't tried "explaining" anything to me? He never has addressed me directly about any of it; just general posts about white people in derogative connotations

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Come come, you said you would put up more of your friend's posts. I think you should. I want to see some of these "derogative connotations."

Jesus Christ give me a minute...I wasn't just sitting here with them saved to clipboard.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sharkie posted:

Everything your dad did would have been harder if he were black, conversely, it was easier because he was white.

Also, you're really upset about how terrible it is that the plucky little white race is being misrepresented by those awful black facebook users. You should reflect on whether or not these feelings are impacting your ability to live your life and chill out before you start asking yourself "why isn't there a white history month."

Uhm, since when was I just "really upset?" I'm more upset that I find myself the one being attacked, but whatever. I think I am a pretty chill guy...my job pretty much requires it

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

They think I'm a devil! They think I sell drugs in the community, Black Dynamite!

*empties mason jar of kind weed onto table* That'll be $474.80, bro.

Apologies for not having these immediately available for your review, and I don't really know my way around Paint, but this was the best I could do to put together all of it in one image:

Why would I make up that he's calling me a "devil?" Do you really think I just sit around thinking of who doesn't like me and thinking black people are out to get me? You don't know me at all man...so I dunno whatever. I'm not going to go find more statements of his because it took enough drat time to piece all that poo poo together in one image.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 15, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

Man, sounds like he's harder on black people to me. And I'm not seeing where he called you a devil, or all white people devils? He seemed mostly to be criticizing people who murder black folks, like Zimmerman. Don't murder anybody and I think you can keep on this guy's good side. That and keep selling him weed I guess.

You're being oversensitive, you're not the first nor shall you be the last.

If you look at the comment at bottom in middle of the page, he says something like "white, mutant devil dogs".

I also do not sell him weed...he lives in NYC and I live on the west coast. I've never met him in real life, that's why I've always said "FB friend." As I said before, we got along and agreed the first year or two we were friends on FB. We still are cordial -- as I stated, he has never directly attacked me or criticized me as an individual.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Also, MarksMan, do you honestly think your father would have had comparable opportunities if he was black? Good on him for clawing his way up from poverty AND for not being a shithead, but I doubt there's a white man in this country that hasn't gotten better treatment than a black man in the same conditions would have. (I guess some weird hypothetical of a white guy in an almost entirely black community getting systematically poo poo on would qualify, but even then the reverse is way more common.)

No, I totally understand and recognize he would most definitely would NOT have had the same opportunities if he was black and growing up in the 50's and 60's in Jackson, MS.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 15, 2014

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sharkie posted:

He called white people devils and you're taking it as directed at you, personally. The problem though is that your first instinct isn't to go "Why would a black person feel this way," your first instinct is to call them delusional and fall immediately into a denial of white privilege just like every comfortable white kid ever. If a brief glimpse into this sort of powerless and inconsequential negative feelings against your race is being taken this personally, you should thank your lucky stars you're not black because you couldn't handle it.

Imagine what you're feeling now, except it's an entire society telling you these things every day of your life, in ways both subtle and deafening.

I said plenty of times before I don't take it that he is attacking ME. I have said numerous times now that he has never personally attacked me or been negative to me. And my life was anything but comfortable? Again you guys don't know me but are just assuming all sorts of poo poo...

SedanChair posted:

He seems to have been talking about murderers who get off because they are white. I think "mutant devil dogs" is a perfectly reasonable description of murderers, and it's kind of important to specify that they were white because after all, that's why they got off.

And he also called black people coons in that same post. Not that it excuses anything, but I think dude was pretty frustrated.

Ok man, whatever. You win. You are right and I am wrong. I am over sensitive and he is just frustrated often and vents but does not mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sharkie posted:

You literally said:

Fair enough, though would you agree though that your life is more comfortable than it would be if you were black?

He was referring to all white people as devils, so that would include me, no? And yes I agree my life would have been less comfortable if I was black.

• Locked thread