Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
OP, would whites re-institute slavery today if they could in as literal a manner as you intend the question, and in as literal a manner as you are capable of processing arguments? Of course not. Markets proved wage slavery to be generally superior to chattel slavery, which is why the South got all butthurt and started a terroristic civil war to begin with.

Is the status quo of racism any better than chattel slavery--or if it is, is credit due to whites for this improved state? No, and this is what your friends seem to understand. I like your friends by the way, and I'm glad they're patient with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

Yeah, if you time traveled a 1850s slave to the modern age, then told him that the present status quo was actually just as bad for him, he'd think you were the dumbest motherfucker alive.

What if you transported him to Angola, or Arpaio's tent city?

Beatings don't leave as much of a mark I suppose.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So your argument is that because in the 19th century the institution of chattel slavery rested atop everything like the crown jewel of ultimate racism, the state of racism is much better today? It's not like I can't see the argument. And of course prisons existed, and were in some senses more brutal and overt. But the modern prison state is much more comprehensive. In the old days, after you had served your sentence you could move to another area, change your name (or not) and begin again with as much of a chance as you ever had. Now that's impossible; modern identification and record-keeping ensure that you'll be a second-class citizen until your death.

The situations are different enough that to call one better, worse or an improvement seems worthless to me. As westerners we seem to invest a lot in the idea that we're making progress, and that's not always the case. We're just changing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MarksMan posted:

I think despite me being the white devil, the fact he knows I'm a medical MJ collective owner makes me a little less of a devil since he likes bud. We agreed on a lot of various things before he had this black awakening or whatever you want to call it. We also had a lot of similar things/events in our lives, which makes it that much more confusing...he's never directly called me a "devil" or talked down to me in particular, but when you are constantly degrading the white race as a whole, it's hard not to be offended. So, in short, he does not offend me personally and never is hostile or malicious towards me. I guess it's a good question why I don't un-friend him. I guess it's because, on some level, I like to be able to view a lot of different viewpoints on FB even if I don't agree with them.

Can you post some of these statements? I wonder if you're not being a little oversensitive.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 15, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Of course you didn't make the thread for that purpose. You made it to selectively misrepresent your black friends in such a way that you thought goons would be bound to agree with you.

e: VVV :lol:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Post the full context of this guy's statements or yes, I do have it figured out.

Has this guy ever even used the phrase "white devils" or is that just your creative summary of his beliefs?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I just got a PM from the OP stating basically that he's from the one white family in the deep south that never benefited from racism.

I wish I was joking.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Come come, you said you would put up more of your friend's posts. I think you should. I want to see some of these "derogative connotations."

e: use Social Fixer to anonymize posts if that'll help.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They think I'm a devil! They think I sell drugs in the community, Black Dynamite!

*empties mason jar of kind weed onto table* That'll be $474.80, bro.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Man, sounds like he's harder on black people to me. And I'm not seeing where he called you a devil, or all white people devils? He seemed mostly to be criticizing people who murder black folks, like Zimmerman. Don't murder anybody and I think you can keep on this guy's good side. That and keep selling him weed I guess.

You're being oversensitive, you're not the first nor shall you be the last.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He seems to have been talking about murderers who get off because they are white. I think "mutant devil dogs" is a perfectly reasonable description of murderers, and it's kind of important to specify that they were white because after all, that's why they got off.

And he also called black people coons in that same post. Not that it excuses anything, but I think dude was pretty frustrated.

e:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A modest proportion of whites, when presented with black movements that were making headway, elected to join in rather than continuing to push back. I don't really see how you can deny LBJ some credit for some improvement.

No definitely not. But LBJ did it out of shrewdness, not ethics and as you say he wouldn't have done poo poo if MLK hadn't been doing this on a regular basis:

(Note LBJ's thrilled expression)

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 15, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Whoever this dude is, he is definitely a racist, and probably mentally unstable. Best to just ignore his rantings on Facebook, especially if you're the race of people he seems to hate.

Ooh! Come on Arkane, you're making it too easy.

MarksMan posted:

Ok man, whatever. You win. You are right and I am wrong. I am over sensitive and he is just frustrated often and vents but does not mean it.

I have my doubts about your sincerity. But the power to disengage when challenged is a part of your privilege, so enjoy it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MarksMan posted:

He was referring to all white people as devils, so that would include me, no?

No. He appears to have been referring specifically to white men who murder blacks and then claim a motive of self-defense. It's common for white people to assume that criticisms of specific whites that nonetheless mention the word "white" are meant to apply to all whites. Because a lot of white folks aren't used to hearing poo poo talked about white folks and it sets them into a frenzy. Not saying that's you. Not saying it isn't

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

It's the part where that perspective is extremely skewed and promotes self hatred.

GBS has a much better read on the world than D&D.

Yes, get over your self hatred. Practice self love instead! Secure a future for yourself and your children.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

Boy, this argument sure has gone off the loving rails. It's like watching college freshmen attempt to impress their professors with their edginess now.

You're next.

rudatron posted:

Hmmm, so you're saying that white people who work for racial equality hate themselves? Interesting take there Mr wateroverfire.

It's a zero-sum game. Only one race can prevail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

(self-hatred)

(self-love)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Beaters posted:

The expression might have been his gall bladder acting up. Also, if you look at the timing of the Civil Rights Act, LBJ got that through congress in very short order. It was a top priority of his from the start.

Because he looooved black people.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

Actually SedanChair did literally say that, it's on page 3. The idea that even slight progress in social justice could have been made in the past 200 years goes against the fundamental beliefs of far-leftism, so you'd see people argue that water isn't wet if it lines up with their ideology about the state of the world.

Again, like most liberals you're obsessed with the narrative of progress. Slavery was obsolete, and social justice had little to do with its obsolescence. Of all the reasons for its gradual replacement by wage slavery, sharecropping and the expansion and industrialization of the prison state, the fact that it was an abhorrent practice did not really amount to anything. If northern capitalists had been able to profit through the plantation system they would have used it. They could not, so they supported the arguments of abolitionists instead. If capitalists now were able to profit through the use of chattel slavery they would use it, and advance talking points to make it legal.

Chattel slavery was expensive. Why invest in the value of a man when you can simply spend him, and lose nothing when he dies? That's our present system. For the most part we don't see its most extreme forms within the borders of the US, but we benefit from outsourcing brutal slavery and exploitation to other nations.

The abolition of slavery is certainly nothing for whites to congratulate themselves about, which is what the OP was angling for.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not arguing that the life of a slave wasn't terrifying rear end compared to that of almost any American now living. But to view the abolition of slavery as progress is a little simplistic. The abolition of slavery, the expansion of the franchise, rising prosperity etc, these are all illusions brought about by unprecedented prosperity. It could all disappear at any time when our lords find it convenient :tinfoil:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the servers are burning down

I told all of you, it begins. Keep an eye out for the slaving parties as you scavenge for canned food.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

Well, if someone doesn't want to be interpreted as saying something obviously stupid, maybe they should stop making obviously stupid and hyperbolic statements to try and make a point, and then it won't happen.

You've backed off of everything I've written. What's obviously stupid or hyperbolic?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

The "today's culture of racism no better than chattel slavery" thing, which you've now modified to an argument that "progress" is too simplistic an interpretation. This conversion is going in a circle and is pointless.

I thought it was productive, but it sounds like you've got some personal baggage that's leading you to make overblown inferences.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

It's a harrowing image and shows a practice I think should probably be abolished, but do you think voluntary convict labor is a form of slavery? Exploitation, yes. But slavery is a different thing.

Uh, they make 20 cents an hour.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, I'm sure.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Completely made up bullshit unsupported by facts or logic.

Then get out an oar because you've returned to your home waters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

You're 2 for 2 on ad homs, and 2 for 2 on ad homs that make no sense. Can you be any worse at arguing?

How about you just respond to what I said instead of trying to turn it around on me with some boilerplate troll bullshit.

Why would I do that? Arkane you are a person who has literally chosen to serve evil. It comes out in everything you post, you have integrated hatred, nihilism and destruction into yourself. You're determined to champion the high over the low until society collapses. You've assembled for yourself a carefully curated selection of talking points from which you never diverge, and they are all identifiable as being a part of the web of right-wing false knowledge that was created partly as entertainment and partly as propaganda. You see it; you see the edges of it, that it has no basis other than evil, but you've chosen to serve it. Or at least insofar as posting constitutes "service."

Why would I spend even a minute acting as though you were worth having an argument with?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

The last poll I saw on this reported 17% of registered voters believed Obama is Muslim. Oddly, a majority of that 17% were okay with it. Of course I saw another poll which found that a tiny minority of Americans believe Obama is the Antichrist, including some people who voted for him. Which means there's people who voted for (in their minds) the Antichrist.

Well, in any case I don't think you can really say with certainty that half the United States has intense hatred for the president because he's black. I think you all are reading too many unhinged right-wingers who are relatively few in number but are magnified by the internet and by the media.

What people say about whether or not they are racist is just about worthless.

e: I do agree with you though, I don't think anywhere close to half of Americans hate Obama. A large number fear all blacks though, and though some of them would call Obama "one of the good ones" they will always believe his loyalty is first and foremost to blacks, because their loyalty is first and foremost to whites.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 16, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Take me seriously and argue with me or you have mental problems" --literally Arkane

e: I'm not expecting you to admit it, I just thought it was worth saying. You are like the Reader's Digest version of right wing poison and it gets a little old sometimes. "But Clinton" yeah, indeed. But Clinton. Clinton, for whom the worst they could come up with was that his wife was a feminist, he was a womanizer and liar and his daughter was ugly. Truly this is anything like what Obama has faced.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 16, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm Racist Liberal Obama Hater.

"That fukken moon cricket nobama! He wouldn't speak out for a public option--a public option for whites only. :c00lbert: And he won't close Gitmo, or close the borders either. Typical Negro Behavior, I'm afraid; sometimes I can hardly believe I voted for him twice."

I exist. Because liberal frustration with Obama's policies has anything at all in common with right-wing hatred, which is after all not
generated by racism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

There are more people alive today

So what? Suffering is suffering. Not that Powercrazy has a good point.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

This is bullshit meant to quell discussion and force your mindset onto others. It essentially tells white people that if they don't think they are racist to be quiet because they are one of the good ones and if they have to the desire to speak then they are automatically racist by admission. It's bullshit tumblrspeak.

It's about shutting up when you're, by definition, ignorant.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It'd be dumb for a Nigerian immigrant to new proud of being an African-American.

They can be proud as soon as they get ignored while hailing a cab. Bonus points if the cab driver is actually another Nigerian immigrant.

quote:

And there are "white" African-Americans (insofar as they'd be perceived by skin color).

That'll be me. (Or at least a good bit of the time, other times people are just confused. Black kids blurt out "what are you?" and I like to mess with them for asking)

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 18, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Powercrazy posted:

Also what is stoping whites from re-instituting slavery? I thought they controlled the world?

It's not as profitable as at-will employment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

Y'all racists, saying "white people" when you mean US Anglo-Saxons, they're not all the white people in the world.
Also, what's with addressing even them by skin color, the proper terminology is "european-american" TYVM :v:

Yeah everybody knows white europeans are waaaaaay less racist

quote:

Paris: Boy, 16, in coma after ‘being dragged from Roma camp and attacked’

A teenager is in a coma in a hospital near Paris after allegedly being attacked by angry residents of a French housing estate in Pierrefitte-sur-Seine.

Police say the 16-year-old was dragged out of this unofficial Roma camp by a dozen locals, who accused him of breaking into a nearby flat.

Christophe Crépin, a police union representative, explained: “They took him to a cellar and beat him up. He ended up in a supermarket trolley in a critical state, in agony.”

Police say the teenager was known to them and had been linked to a number of thefts, break-ins and for driving without a licence, but he had not been charged with any crime.

Eddy Sid, Police Alliance union representative, said: “He’s a juvenile, known to police for burglary and theft. Last week he was in custody for burglary.”

Some 200 people in the camp fled the area after the incident.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

I love that even after the second time you asked for an effortpost from me and dared me to ignore the unassailable logic of WhiskeyJuvenile, International Defender of the White Man, you revert back to shitposts rather than engaging in the debate you were ostensibly oh-so-ready to have.

Drunkenness is probably a better explanation to be honest.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Whatever other criticisms of tumblr you can make (there are no meaningful ones dumbass, tumblr is a platform) at least they don't have a single, wizened hand up its rear end working it like a felt puppet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

EDIT: Oh hey, you want to see what happens when a black guy has opinions that don't jive with the typical leftist hive-mind idiocy? Look no further then SedanChair's avatar. One of your like-minded progressives gave him that for bucking your party line.

EDIT: sig =/= avatar

Come come, am I not supposed to take it in stride? After all, somebody said something that hurt a white guy's feelings once.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

something Jesse Jackson said 30 years ago on the dot

Devastating, devastating

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

Haha yeah, anti-Semitism is over and social justice advocates set much better example of this than the general population! Just ask them how they feel about Israel and you'll get a lot of enlightened responses that in no way implicitly or explicitly call for the destruction of Israel.

Israel is an illegitimate state, it should be rubbed out. No Israelis should be rubbed out or made to leave the country, though. Nice conflation, typical of insane fundamentalist reactionaries whose only use for Jews is to dance in the barbecue of Megiddo as Jesus returns to earth.

e: 5'd thread

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

"Whitey" is an idea. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, races are social constructs, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about killing people of a certain skin color.

No, you misunderstand. "Whitey" is a power relation.

• Locked thread