Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Why reinstitute old-school plantation slavery? It's not very economically efficient for a modern country like the US. Machines and part-time laborers do a far better job of handling the labor a modern slave would conceivably do in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

So can anyone advance an convincing argument that whites in the US would re-institute slavery if allowed to that is not based on paranoia? I have to repeat my question as to what the point of re-instituting slavery would be in an economy where unskilled labor is not particularly valued anymore. Slavery's initial practice and growth in the US was driven by shortages of manual laborers as much as anything else, and there's no real lack of those in the modern US.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Wealthy people would love to have free domestic help. Certain forms of unmechanizable agriculture also, as well as sex slavery. All of these forms of slavery currently exist in the US today.

Paying migrant workers token wages is usually how domestic help and the remaining agricultural work is done in the US. I think that most of the wealthy is happy with being able to pay peanuts and sever relationships with poor wage workers at will (aka "OK, harvesting is over, now gently caress off till next year"). Now that's exploitation for sure, but it's not slavery in the classic sense at all.

Sex slavery is still definitely a thing though.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

If you don't like being accused of being a closet white supremacist, don't make arguments that only closet white supremacists make. Whether or not Africans had slaves has nothing to do with why Europeans bought African slaves.

Well, Europeans brought African slaves because it was an easy market for them to get into. The racism developed as a result of the trade, but the initial reasoning was that there was already a slave market in Africa that would sell to them, and they wouldn't have to do the work of actually going into the interior and acquiring the slaves themselves.

I always wondered what would have happened if they had tapped into the Ottoman slave markets more instead of the African market. Would have been a different world probably.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

There's really no way of knowing this, given that modern racism has roots in the Enlightenment. But there's no reason to assume that Europeans somehow weren't racist, otheriziation and looking at people different from you as inferior is a constant strain of human society. One could make the argument that there were few specific reasons for Europeans to be racist against Africans before the slave trade but I don't know why unless someone's trying to disassociate racism from the purchase and transport of humans to die in forced labor.

Slavery didn't always have a basis in race. It would be pretty drat difficult to argue that Roman slavery was based on race. It was really just based on "oh poo poo, I just lost in a war and now I belong to this dude who beat me"

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Europeans turned to Africa in part because their Native slaves died so quickly when concentrated onto plantations and enconeimendas (pretty sure I misspelled that)

Main Paineframe posted:

Slavery still persists today in the agricultural sector. Florida farmworker organizations allege that there's over a thousand literal slaves - minority workers in involuntary servitude, forced to work for masters who buy and sell them as if they were objects - working various fields in Florida today, and have enough escaped slaves and imprisoned slaveowners to prove they're not just making it all up.

I'm not entirely surprised that there's some of that going on in Florida. It's a shame that labor laws are so often gleefully flouted in this country and no one does anything.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Sucrose posted:

Are people seriously wondering if the present status quo is better than literal chattel slavery? Guess what, back when there was chattel slavery there were still things like exploitation, debt slavery, racism, and discrimination, there were just human beings being openly sold in markets and transported in chains on top of all that.

Yeah, if you time traveled a 1850s slave to the modern age, then told him that the present status quo was actually just as bad for him, he'd think you were the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Boy, this argument sure has gone off the loving rails. It's like watching college freshmen attempt to impress their professors with their edginess now.

• Locked thread