Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think that falls apart when you get down to individuals instead of societies or cultures. I mean if someones boss is race X and the boss denies a subordinate raises or promotions purely because that subordinate is of race Y the boss is being a racist regardless of the societal power balance between races X and Y, yes?

Keep in mind that any time a white person is passed over for a promotion or not hired for a job/accepted to a college, etc they're already ready to blame affirmative action so that probably colors their perception of events such as your example. Let's also keep in mind that this example is invariably less common than a situation where the roles were reversed. I just can't make myself feel terribly concerned.

I guess you could examine the class aspect of it at that point. A wealthy minority could be accused of "punching down" at a poor white person, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum and it doesn't strip that white person of all their privilege suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

My point was that even in these rare instances somebody may be upset at equal(ie NOT-privileged treatment) and call it discrimination. I love that people concede that genuine instances of this scenario are so uncommon that they aren't worth addressing at a system wide level, but apparently still worth moaning and hand-wringing over.

I'm waiting for somebody to unironically post that anti-racist means anti-white. :allears:

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

My example was of a white person receiving fair and equal treatment but being upset because they are used to extra privilege. There is no discrimination here.

Now capitalism and classism are certainly huge issues, but they can be addressed at the same time as racism. Caring about two things at time, etc etc, also not really the topic of the thread.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

It was to demonstrate that the example that we've agreed is very unlikely to actually happen is even more so when races X and Y are anything and white, respectively.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the conceptual possibility of anti-white racism?

Hahaha, this is exactly the point.

Frankly I'm concerned that nobody has addressed the serious issue discrimination by dwarves against able bodied white men. Why, I was denied a position in a local Micro Championship Wrestling league just this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006

Nobody is saying that non-white people can't be racist or prejudiced or whatever, they're saying that they have so little opportunity or social influence that it basically doesn't matter.

If I ever apply for a job as, I dunno the New Black Panther Party's accountant(where the gently caress else would this happen?), and I get rejected because of the color of my skin I'll just apply ANYWHERE ELSE. No big deal.

• Locked thread