Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Bowsprit by Balmorhea was such a good choice for a theme song for this show. I'm so glad it's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Yudo posted:

I haven't seen the latest episode but I can't imagine how it could live up to season 1. The OP's claim that Rectify is the "best TV ever produced" is quite defensible and the show is, despite the lack of 'splosions and murdersex, something everyone should see if for only a new light on mass incarceration.

It absolutely does not miss a beat from season 1's conclusion.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
A lot of people have been drawing connections between Rectify and FNL recently. I can definitely see them, but I think I prefer Rectify's extremely weighty melodrama more.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Good episode last night. Though I agree with some of the AVClub reviews of late that talk about how the season feels a little more restrained, but it might be deliberate. Most of the character's lives are unraveling so fast that things are about to get really bad really fast.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bown posted:

We're definitely still in setup mode right now, but I'm finding it generally fascinating. I'm not really digging the Ted Jr. storyline, but his scene with Daniel this week was excellent. The thing with Amantha's boyfriend and the death row inmate he represents was excellent. And of course the Daniel stuff is as sublime as ever.

I think the main problem with the Ted Jr. storyline is that the further it moves outside of the orbit of Daniel, the more generic it comes across. I think with his constant disappointment and emasculation by Daniel's continued existence that it will bring him back into the fold a little.

What I'm saying is we really need Daniel/Tawney scenes again.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
"Hindsight."

"Really?"

That was the subtlest little joke there, Rectify.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
He's likely never at home because most of the scenes in the show take place during the day, and he's in high school going to class (see: the "blog" they have of Jared's as an ongoing feature on Sundance's Rectify page). During the weekends it seems like he's probably off skateboarding like we saw in season 1.

I have a feeling he'll have some role to play as we get further along in the season. We're only four eps in.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 13, 2014

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This season is really getting into the meat of its plot now and feels very justified. Last night was awesome. Aden Young really knocked it out of the park and next week looks explosive.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That last scene was fantastic. And just the right amount of teasing that this show does vis-a-vis the real events of 19 years ago.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'm glad they keep reusing the shot of that river under moonlight, because it's gorgeous.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Tonight was easily one of my favorite episodes of the show so far. poo poo is getting real.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

blue squares posted:

Finally. I have not enjoyed season 2 nearly as much, especially Lezlie, who I disliked.

Correlating when season 1 got really good (episodes 5 and 6), this is about the same, proportionately, for season 2 to get good. So it's basically intense stuff from here on out.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This season is firing on every cylinder, and we still have two episodes left. gently caress.

That ending montage left me in tears. The prison conversation was also really magnetic.

"We're not even *the same currency*."

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 8, 2014

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Some discussion over at The AV Club suggests that if a Season 3 is greenlit that it would be about the Re-trial of Daniel Holden. Assuming things don't go really, really dark in the next two episodes.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It'd be nice for the, "I want to get things right this time" line to be a foreshadowing of a better future for Daniel. This show gets really dark, but is ultimately a little hopeful -- well, not at the moment at least.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That Ted/Tawney scene was by far the darkest this show has gotten. Clayne Crawford gave me serious chills.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think the second season, while less artsy and quiet has deftly explored how Daniel's mere presence in the town is making everyone else's lives fall apart as Daniel tries to start his own again. That duality between his "resurrection" (and subsequent realization that he's a bad person, a way of atoning) and the downfall of his hometown has made for some really great television.

And he's only been free for less than two weeks or so.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Riled Shareef posted:

Someone pointed out that the existentialism has taken a step back since the first season in favor of exploring Daniel's guilt and fleshing out the other characters. The show is still god drat amazing but I kinda hope that the events of the murder are definitively explained by the end of this season. It could drag on a bit, right?

Do you folks think the show's getting renewed?

I hope so. There's no show on TV like this one, and I think Sundance likes the critical acclaim. Viewership probably isn't a big deal when the channel is already kinda obscure.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It was the very end of "Drip, Drip", Season 1 Episode 5.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That was likely more "it's okay to be curious about the truth of what happened", because he's the one constantly left out of the loop as far as big events with Daniel are concerned. This is why he had Hanna's tape for Daniel earlier in the season.

As for the "soap opera" critique, I thought that was one of the laziest criticisms I have ever seen leveled at the show, and that AVClub review was bullshit for it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

blue squares posted:

I also preferred season 1. I really liked the philosophical feel to it, and feel like this season it has just become yet another TV show, although still very good, but lost what made it really stand out in season 1.

That's kind of a harsh criticism. There's still plenty of philosophy and existentialism to Season 2, but it's spaced out a bit more evenly instead of minutes where Daniel is just laying out in the grass or what have you.

I love Season 1, but I don't think Season 2 has really pulled the show that far from its premise. I can understand where you're coming from, though. But I think this season has been more of a way for the writers to figure out and teach us what kind of show Rectify wants to be. It's still very much unlike most TV.

I'm all for a shorter Season 3, though. I would say my main criticism of Season 2 is the middle section being kind of meandering and slow(er than usual for this show).

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 19, 2014

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That finale absolutely destroyed me. Can't wait for Season 3 next year.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I don't think Teddy deserved the coffee grounds assault at all. No one does. But it's kind of a result of two opposite forces colliding -- a broken man who has spent decades being tortured emotionally and physically by inmates and his own past, and a man used to being the center of attention in the family losing grip on all of it. It was a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Maybe my favorite scene in the last season was (well, it was between two episodes) Daniel and Tammy in the motel room. From Tammy's questioning of God, Daniel slowly walking to her and dancing, and then the aftermath of Daniel telling her what he did to Teddy. The unfolding of emotion is really terrific, and even as the viewer, we want happiness for them and for them to be together, and the dancing is almost a fever dream, and then the next episode it's all, "oh right, Daniel can be kind of a monster." The nuance of Daniel's character is some drat good writing.

Her name is Tawney, and I agree. Great scene and a lot of great dialogue.

• Locked thread