Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Just caught up on this with Netflix after having it on my list for quite a while and it absolutely lives up to everything I'd heard about it. What a haunting, affecting series. It brings up intense, yearning, melancholic emotions in me I don't think I've ever felt while experiencing a media outside of maybe some my favourite songs or books of mine - a true accomplishment for a TV show, to me. The scene with Kerwin and the statue at the end of this season's first episode was an incredibly beautiful sequence. I hope we get to see more of Kerwin - the chemistry between the actors was so palpable.

I've seen a bit of the Friday Night Lights series but in tone I think the closest thing to the feel of Rectify are Terrence Malick movies, more specifically Tree of Life.

I find it a very brave and difficult choice for them to never actually show us the crime or Daniel's version of events from that night - or on a larger scale how frustrating Daniel is as a character. You, just like everybody close to him on the show, want to shake him and tell him to snap out of it, just talk like a normal person for a while. But he's not, never was, and certainly never will be anything like a normal person. He's more alive on the row facing death than he is outside those walls.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of the season but definitely glad to have Daniel back in the mix. It's a fantastic supporting cast but Aden Young really holds the show together for me. It will be interesting to see if they ever "solve" the crime during the series and allow it to continue on past that, or if a resolution of the murder is the endpoint. I hope it will be the former.

el oso fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Whose Christopher? Daniel mentions he was there when Hannah was raped/had sex.

Unknown, for now.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I think the best scene of the season (and the series so far) was Daniel and Kerwin in the field with the headless statue. One of the most incredible scenes I've ever seen on TV, really.

• Locked thread