Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was sitting there wondering why it's been taking me so long to get through Terra Nostra and it finally hit me when I was reading the chapter with the astronomer and the priest talking. There are barely any conversations or actions in the novel. Ninety percent of the runtime is people monologuing to themselves, to others or to God/satan. It gives the book a glacial flow that repels my attempts to match onto its people or themes on an emotional level even when I understand it academically. That scene with the monks and the scene with La Senora and Guzman in the mistresses bedroom are my favorite scenes so far, and that is in large part because they're some of the few places where characters exist outside of their own heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Read some Baudelaire because a poem was mentioned in the crime mystery novel I was reading and I wanted the whole thing. :evilbuddy:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

le fleurs du mal was at several points surprisingly horny

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cumpantry posted:

my god it's nearly twice the size. and my god against the day IS twice the size. that better be a good loving book

Good news, it's actually a great loving book

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I preferred Paris Spleen over The Flower of Evil. Although both were quite good.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
I came across a sarcastic quote about the titles of poetry in The Arcades Project (Benjamin was evidently in the middle of writing about le fleurs du mal):

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mdemone posted:

Good news, it's actually a great loving book

better save it for last then, i know people here have middling thoughts on his other works like Vineland and such

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
now that i think about it i may as well read Pynchon in the order he wrote his works since i already started with V and plan on Crying of Lot 49 next

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cumpantry posted:

now that i think about it i may as well read Pynchon in the order he wrote his works since i already started with V and plan on Crying of Lot 49 next

You'll need to dip into Slow Learner between books if you do that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Vineland is perfectly fine. It fits in with his other "lesser works" and it's funny. I think I'm in the minority with that view, though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cassian of Imola posted:

I came across a sarcastic quote about the titles of poetry in The Arcades Project (Benjamin was evidently in the middle of writing about le fleurs du mal):

the parts on exhibitions and Baudelaire was great, and this reminds me that I really, really need to read the second volume of the arcades project soon.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
GR has some of the best stuff in any pynchon book but I think I like ATD even better as a whole.

I just finished Mason and Dixon, it's a hell of a thing to read as someone who's lost touch with the male gender and hasn't had any kind of male friendship for a long time. Kinda nostalgic.

Building a big line through the forest as a means to channel feng shui energy to unleash inconceivable destruction to the west and a new channel of power for the forces of empire is also reminiscent of the time I've spent in the bush doing sampling and surveying, but I'm living in the end days of the empire they helped create rather than the beginning. The helplessness of their position as observers to genocide and colonialism without even a single thought as to their own involvement in it, much less any kind of resistance, also feels a lot like where we are now. Feels weird to read post-2022 but maybe lots of stuff does now

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gaius Marius posted:

You'll need to dip into Slow Learner between books if you do that.

short stories style Pynchon sounds cool. i'm game

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cumpantry posted:

short stories style Pynchon sounds cool. i'm game

He hates them and thinks they are juvenile, which is interesting because they're still leagues better than his contemporaries' efforts

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Flournival Dixon posted:

I just finished Mason and Dixon, it's a hell of a thing to read as someone who's lost touch with the male gender and hasn't had any kind of male friendship for a long time. Kinda nostalgic.

swing by the Aubrey-Maturin thread

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Vineland is fine but it isn't going to blow you away like GR or AtD will

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Might as well read it before the film comes out anyways

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ve been reading V. very very slowly as I also read other things. I don’t really enjoy it, but I don’t hate it either. It just seems so pointless, like at any time it could end on the next page. I don’t think I really get it.

For the record I’m only on page 160

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

I’ve been reading V. very very slowly as I also read other things. I don’t really enjoy it, but I don’t hate it either. It just seems so pointless, like at any time it could end on the next page. I don’t think I really get it.

For the record I’m only on page 160

It's okay. I'm a huge Pynchon nut and V. is near the bottom of my list.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe I’ll skip the rest of the book. Or just keep reading it one section after another for a couple years haha. I’ve read 49, GR, IV, and M&D. I wanna do a full read of his bibliography but I’m stuck on book 1 haha

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It reads as though Pynchon has reached full power but doesn't yet have the control to make it hang together.

GR is when he figures it out. After that he's just flexing on everyone.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

blue squares posted:

Maybe I’ll skip the rest of the book. Or just keep reading it one section after another for a couple years haha. I’ve read 49, GR, IV, and M&D. I wanna do a full read of his bibliography but I’m stuck on book 1 haha

if you skip it youre going to miss out on some ridiculously poignant sections. i came out the end very satisfied even though there's good chunks i didn't fully connect the dots on. that's okay, a lot of the fun is figuring out why all the characters in a room are particularly special and why, but also why there's not ever enough text to fully do that, which the book touches on quite coolly (and i would reference but just turned it back in)

did the profane sewer bit happen yet? if it did, you didnt think that was badass or what

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i just said this deal about novellas but the library didnt have his short stories or Crying, or any of the things i've been wanting or recommended to read... but they did have Franzen's The Corrections... :D

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If you've not read GR (or even if you have), read the Weisenburger companion alongside it.

Just absolutely magical construction on large and small scales. The kind of book a writer reads and thinks "how am I supposed to compete with this"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I find the scenes describing them going out partying and bar hopping to be disorienting and grating…

But yes hunting cocodrillos was fun :)

mdemone posted:

If you've not read GR (or even if you have), read the Weisenburger companion alongside it.

Just absolutely magical construction on large and small scales. The kind of book a writer reads and thinks "how am I supposed to compete with this"

I’ve read it twice… I need to make the third reread with the companion

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't read guides with the novels you're reading. You're robbing yourself of the discovery and allowing others to warp your ideas of a work before you've even cast your own opinions and hypotheses.

Save that poo poo for the ReRead.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't read guides with the novels you're reading. You're robbing yourself of the discovery and allowing others to warp your ideas of a work before you've even cast your own opinions and hypotheses.

Save that poo poo for the ReRead.

Okay I will agree with that. I got a little too excited there because the Weisenburger is so good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't read guides with the novels you're reading.

People who do are the same people who enjoy MST3K.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I guess a lot of things referenced and discussed in the book that are very familiar to me as a WW2 geek in recovery are mysterious and surprising to many readers. I did like Walther Rathenau's spirit waxing lyrical about the significance of the synthesis of mauve, an event I learned about in a children's science book when I was about 7.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I was sitting there wondering why it's been taking me so long to get through Terra Nostra and it finally hit me when I was reading the chapter with the astronomer and the priest talking. There are barely any conversations or actions in the novel. Ninety percent of the runtime is people monologuing to themselves, to others or to God/satan. It gives the book a glacial flow that repels my attempts to match onto its people or themes on an emotional level even when I understand it academically. That scene with the monks and the scene with La Senora and Guzman in the mistresses bedroom are my favorite scenes so far, and that is in large part because they're some of the few places where characters exist outside of their own heads.

Good luck with this tome! I'd honestly say all the muck and mire is mostly worth it, despite Fuentes retreading a lot of the same abjection.

The second book in the New World has a lot happening, then then the third goes full just misery, but the ending and the debauchery and the weirdness of it all leave it stuck in my head despite its length and faults.

No doubt one of the oddest books for its attempt to do a through-line between Catholicism, monarchy, colonialism and modern fascism even as it climbs up its own rear end a lot of the time

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who enjoy rad poo poo, yes. MST3K weren’t watching the Gravity’s Rainbow of movies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

we gun fight

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Did u know there's a YouTube channel that streams mst3k episodes 24 hours a day. I put it on often

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've seen a lotta bad takes on these forums thru the years, but wow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

derp posted:

Did u know there's a YouTube channel that streams mst3k episodes 24 hours a day. I put it on often

you got your leg up on something?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Finished Le Guin's The Farthest Shore and Powers's Bewilderment today.

The Farthest Shore rules. I think Tombs of Atuan is still my favorite of the three Earthsea books I've read so far, and I think its ending was more poignant than Farthest Shore's. But The Farthest Shore manages to capture the pure, distilled joy of a fantasy adventure without compromising its moral-ethical vision. I'll probably wait a bit before reading Tehanu, to give the original 3 Earthsea books a chance to breathe. I'm really curious to read Le Guin's Searoad.

Bewilderment is... a tricky book. Robin's character strains belief, and the commentary on current events and barely-concealed real-life people is a little clumsy. The father in the story is very clearly an unreliable narrator, and the novel's psychological depth comes largely from how his perspective tints the entire book. But the very elements that risk clumsiness and preciousness also facilitate the book in genuinely grappling with the question of how not to fall into despair over the state of the world. The question of what one person can do--what is one person responsible for doing?--when an entire system is broken and killing so many things, is such a painful question to examine closely. I have gratitude toward Powers for writing a book that was able to touch those raw feelings of grief and anger out of a desire for kinship. I'll probably work backwards with Powers, and read The Overstory next, before checking out The Echo Maker and The Goldbug Variations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Finally read Achebe's Things Fall Apart and it is obviously a masterpiece. The prose is so sharp and so clear and it sits like a weight in you.

Achebe shows us a clear-eyed mournfulness, despite its faults and injustices like any culture's, for a way of life that will disappear and be supplanted by another violence.

This book could be in pictures it is so solid and so evocative. You can smell the foods and hear the music and drums, the hymns of the mercenaries and the clucks of the chickens. You can feel the passage of time and peoples on your skin.

I need to finish this trilogy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
well poo poo guess I have to read the Sot Weed Factor now

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well poo poo guess I have to read the Sot Weed Factor now

u gotta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

got myself the latest Vila-Matas and Pamuk books today