Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Come to this thread for book recommendations of books that have pictures in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Absolutely, it's loving useless for anything else.

[edit] I did get a few other recommendations too, I'm hoping "All the Birds, Singing", "Man Tiger" and "A Girl is a Half-formed Thing" also have pictures.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 30, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Come to this thread for book recommendations of books that have pictures in them

I loving love picture books

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

blue squares posted:

The sigla in Finnegans Wake count don't they

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

everyone here should read Tibet: Through the Red Box by Peter Sis

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Smoking Crow posted:

sure I'll get right on that

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

If you are reading something with pictures in it that isn't Playboy or WG Sebald book you're wasting your time though

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

mallamp posted:

If you are reading something with pictures in it that isn't Playboy or WG Sebald book you're wasting your time though

Playboy doesn't have nudity or cartoons or party jokes anymore so rip to that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Voynich Manuscript is top tier literature and it's got tons of pics.
No, I'm not going to tell you how to decipher it, figuring it out is essential to the art of it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

my chronological read-through of all of hamsun's novels has shuddered to a halt with growth of the soil

the book he wrote after that one is .so.underwhelming.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

V. Illych L. posted:

my chronological read-through of all of hamsun's novels has shuddered to a halt with growth of the soil

the book he wrote after that one is .so.underwhelming.

He's a tough knut to crack

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Vonnegut still holds up, and his books have plenty of naughty pics

real pro tier would be learning german and reading Marianne Fritz's Die Festung: http://www.asymptotejournal.com/special-feature/adrian-west-on-marianne-fritz/ here's a sample page:

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 1, 2016

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I like it when authors add their own hand-drawn scribblings as inclusions in their books

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He's a tough knut to crack

Didn't you already make that joke

Is the repetition another joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

WatermelonGun posted:

Didn't you already make that joke

Is the repetition another joke

Canknut help myself

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Knut Hamsun feels like old mens literature, I've never been able to handle it, Hunger was ok I guess

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Old men are win

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

try some of his earlier stuff, like Pan or Mysteries. a whole 'nother feel to them than Growth of the Soil, for example

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Haven't posted here in a while but Voices from Chernobyl is amazing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

try some of his earlier stuff, like Pan or Mysteries. a whole 'nother feel to them than Growth of the Soil, for example

read everything up to and including growth of the soil

women at the waterpost or w/e it's called in english has just stopped me dead though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yall best get on that Mishima train when it rolls up into book club station

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Finished Aquarium last night and while I enjoyed the pictures of fish, I found the pre-teen lesbians much more satisfying.

Seriously, though, really enjoyed the book and it was very well written.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Finished Aquarium last night and while I enjoyed the pictures of fish, I found the pre-teen lesbians much more satisfying.

Seriously, though, really enjoyed the book and it was very well written.

The David Vann Coalition grows

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Childhood me can confirm that it's extremely good. Wish I knew where it went but I've been thinking of picking up another copy.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

started reading voices from chernobyl last night, and so far it seems pretty good. the way it's written makes it so that what you read makes a that much bigger impression on you. kind of like how ta-nehisi coates wrote BTWAM if you see what I'm getting at. she uses the strength of fiction to retell a factual story, which makes you have that much more empathy with the subject "speaking" through the text, than if you just read an objective description about the same events.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 3, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

started reading voices from chernobyl last night, and so far it seems pretty good. the way it's written makes it so that what you read makes a that much bigger impression on you. kind of like how ta-nehisi coates wrote BTWAM if you see what I'm getting at. she uses the strength of fiction to retell a factual story, which makes you have that much more empathy with the subject "speaking" through the text, than if you just read an objective description about the same events.

I ended up much preferring Zinky Boys to be honest. Voices never again seems to reach the same incredible pathos of that first story.

quitequaintquotes
Jan 19, 2016

I started reading Richard Ford on one of my English professor's recommendation, beginning with one of his collections, Women With Men. The title emphasizes that each of the three stories really are about the women with the men, but everything is filtered through the men's perspective -- and they're each some combination of callow, callous, oblivious and self-absorbed. It's (rightfully) cutting, and the language is sharp and lean. Worth reading.

I'm wondering whether I want to keep going. Slow-paced Americana isn't something I find particularly appealing, but if he's anywhere near this consistently incisive in the rest of his books, I definitely will.

I'm also wondering to go to next who deals with the subject or subjects similar. I haven't read Men Without Women, mostly out of a vague distaste for The Old Man and the Sea -- should I?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
just popping in to say that zero k isn't very good.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
gently caress

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Needs more K.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Needs more K.

Or zero of every other letter ( as in it shouldn't have been written )

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

just popping in to say that zero k isn't very good.

I went into Chapters to buy The North Water and didn't realize Zero K. was out until I saw it on the shelf. It was 36$ and I feel terrible for anyone who bought it at that price.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
ppl on goodreads should check out and join mookse & gripes forum: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/186163-the-mookse-and-the-gripes. it used to be one of the better lit forums on the web, but it was hosted on terrible freewebs poo poo or something, so I never joined. it's got a focus on recent translations and international prizes, but the general author chat and book chat sections all the way down to the bottom are cool, and it seems to be much more lively than worldliteratureforum.com

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 9, 2016

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Reading Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o. Whoever said Kenyan lit was hype was right on. Just read a scene where African students at Cambridge organized a strike because the headmaster wanted them to bury his dead dog.. So great.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

ppl on goodreads should check out and join mookse & gripes forum: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/186163-the-mookse-and-the-gripes. it used to be one of the better lit forums on the web, but it was hosted on terrible freewebs poo poo or something, so I never joined. it's got a focus on recent translations and international prizes, but the general author chat and book chat sections all the way down to the bottom are cool, and it seems to be much more lively than worldliteratureforum.com

ur period is fuckin up your link

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
^^ cheers m8 ^^

thehoodie posted:

Reading Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o. Whoever said Kenyan lit was hype was right on. Just read a scene where African students at Cambridge organized a strike because the headmaster wanted them to bury his dead dog.. So great.

Yeah, Ngũgĩ is good, all should read A Grain of Wheat, and I should finally get to Weep Not, Child that I have on my shelf.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thehoodie posted:

There's a good part in that where a guy talks about how capitalism is a horrifying monster and that in former colonies like Kenya white capitalism was simply replaced with black capitalism when they got independence.

Ceighk
May 27, 2013

No Hospital Gang, boy
You know that shit a case close
Want him dead, bust his head
All I do is say, "Go"
Drop a opp, drop a thot
Eeny-meeny-miny-mo

Burning Rain posted:

^^ cheers m8 ^^

Yeah, Ngũgĩ is good, all should read A Grain of Wheat, and I should finally get to Weep Not, Child that I have on my shelf.

Yeah A Grain of Wheat is stellar, I might order another of his books now actually.

thomas pynchon
May 11, 2016
Man, I came in here to talk about ZERO K and then I realized everybody hates ZERO K.

Last really great novel I read was WOLF IN WHITE VAN by John Darnielle, but I'm an obsessive Mountain Goats fan, so I'm kind of predisposed.

Hopeful for ZERO K. DeLillo's my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thomas pynchon posted:

Man, I came in here to talk about ZERO K and then I realized everybody hates ZERO K.

Last really great novel I read was WOLF IN WHITE VAN by John Darnielle, but I'm an obsessive Mountain Goats fan, so I'm kind of predisposed.

Hopeful for ZERO K. DeLillo's my dude.

YOU GET THE HELL OUT AND DONT COME BACK UNTIL YOU SENT A DRAFT TO THE PUBLISHER