Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Davelord Cheeto posted:

Two words if you loving HATE bullshit like Catcher in the Rie but are looking for some serious lit: Chunk Motherfucking Paulunick.

Joke post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

I honestly think the bolding of the names of books is worse than the fact no one reads.

It's good for scanning threads to find mention of books you've read/want to discuss.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When I see twenty posts about DragonLance: the Reckoning I want to be able to skip to the next actual good book more easily.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You were actually being mocked.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thomas Pynchon for sure

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd participate. I finished GR recently and it was one the most amazing books I've ever read. Plus, I don't understand enough of it to spoiler anyone! I'd keep up with a thread and post my own stuff while closely monitoring everything to avoid giving anything away. I did start a Postmodern Lit thread, but it has pretty much died. Probably because I suck at OPs. Anyway, maybe you're better at it, so post away and I'll see you there!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why is it so expensive?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

I have both of the McElroy books from my library on an indefinite checkout. One day I might actually read them.

Indefinite checkout? What?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Every one of your posts in TBB is worthless.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rand Fan 420 posted:

I've read 'white noise' and enjoyed it, then attempted 'underworld' and for whatever reason found it absolutely impenetrable,

That was me, too. Not necessarily impenetrable, but very boring. After White Noise's excellent comedy, Underworld was so depressing. I don't remember a single moment of levity, and it just seemed so pointless and rambling. I finally stopped at page 550.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

I still consider Libra to be Delillo's best work, for whatever it's worth.

I'm starting that as soon as I finish the last 200 pages of Mason & Dixon. I'm really excited.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished Mason & Dixon a couple days ago and started in on the Name of the Rose, but after 142 pages, I'm a little bored. I'm having a very hard time deciding whether I should read that, The Recognitions, or Libra. Or all three?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pynchon is my #2, David Foster Wallace being a close #1 favorite. Third is DeLillo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is Mason & Dixon supposed to be hard? It's written strangely (funnily, IMO), but it was really clear what was going on almost all the time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I actually went and bought Inherent Vice and have been reading that, haha. Though I've been slowly dipping into Libra a bit at a time and will knock it out as soon as I finish IV. As for the Recognitions... well, school is about to start and that one may end up having to wait until next summer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Nathaniel Hawthorne?

gently caress OFF

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've actually never read him since Scarlet Letter in whatever grade, in which I was far too young to appreciate anything at all about it, and have since developed a tourettes-like response to seeing his name.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

poisonpill posted:

The greatest living American writer, Cormac McCarthy,

BOOO.

Pynchon is so much better

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Having read a lot of both, they are nothing alike in style or tone or (mostly) content. Pynchon is also vastly funnier.

Plus, Pynchon is pre-Delillo anyway!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm reading Moby Dick right now, and I'm really surprised by how good it is. It's super good. I'm blown away.

Hey, me too, and I feel the same way! I'm at the embarkation of the Pequod

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That modern library list has been an embarrassment for years. I don't know why they haven't taken it down

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Are you guys talking about the Jeremy Benthem/John Stuart Mill utilitarianism? Because I don't see how brave new world? It's been a decade since I read the book but I don't see how that applies.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, I see. I'd forgotten a lot of it. Thanks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I primarily read stuff that is intellectually pleasing, like DFWallace, Pynchon, DeLillo, etc. I'd like to look at something that is beautifully written (i love language) and emotionally centered. Something that will make me want to keep turning pages because I love the characters. I've never read Hemingway, for one, though I'm not sure how much I'm interested in reading something so minimalist.

edit: modern is good, too.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 24, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually I just realized that the last book I've read that fits that description is Freedom by Jonothan Franzen. What are some good family dramas like that? I've heard of the Wapshot Chronicle by Cheever. But I would prefer something written somewhat recently.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually I bought Middlesex just now so I hope it's good!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boatswain posted:

It is not, it is completely average with annoying characters.

I'm on page 75 and I love it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've just started Junot Diaz's The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and it's the first book in a while that has grabbed me from page one. I keep getting into books and just not caring, but I think this one is going to be special.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The sad fact is that most philosophers are terrible writers. I'm reading Heidegger this semester and fuuuuck

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

The two good ones are Camus and Nietzsche give them a try
The Fall is pretty good. The Stranger was a little overrated in my opinion. I've read about 10% of Nietzsche's work and he can be pretty great, agreed. l like when he writes angry letters to his sister about her anti-semitism.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

All language is invented language.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here's a sentence from an article in an academic journal I read:
"As a spatio-temporal user orientation that emerges through particular material-rhetorical arrangements that produce the conditions for routinized embodied practices, the material chronotope functions somewhat like linguistic commonplaces."

This sentence makes perfect sense to me because I'm reading the article and its all explained, but out of context it'd look like a bunch of nonsense to most people.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

But infinite jest isn't postmodern. At the core, it's the opposite..It's about being a real, living, feeling individual

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what the gently caress does this mean

It means being sincere and self reflective. Which postmodern lit says is impossible. Postmodernism says we're all just cogs in the machine and lack true agency

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 17, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I hated 2666. That's the most overrated book I"ve ever read

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really enjoyed the first section and thought the characterization was done quite well. Everything after that just bored the poo poo out of me. This review says everything I think but much better. http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/december-2008-the-evidence-of-absence/

Honestly, the critical acclaim for this book just baffles me. I don't understand it at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Also taking what you said into account, the review seems a bit lost in its own argument, since the first part blatantly isn't about death, and if the last part isn't either, then... I mean, I like death, so I don't really have to disagree here.

It's been a while since I read the review, but I found everything after The Part About the Critics to be dull and poorly written. The book as a whole seemed like a first draft, which from what I read it was

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

its a bad book

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

End Of Worlds posted:

cmon man don't make everyone google it

If I read that junk randomly in a book store I'd put the book back on the shelf and shake my head

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Terra Nostra has my favorite opening line in all of fiction.

You and I have completely different tastes in literature. Not surprised that you're a Steelers fan. You are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Maybe you should just stay outta Latin American fiction if you cannot handle Fuentes and Bolano

I'd never heard of Fuentes, and I'd still like to read Savage Detectives to see if I'd like THAT Bolaņo, and guess what I'll read it in THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE, PUTO