Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm a big believer that a lot of people cheat themselves out of reading cool books because they get caught up in the myth that lit is all boring and 'pretentious' promoted by people who never got over high school. It's all about finding books relevant to your interests, then branching out from there once you've got the taste.

Cormac McCarthy is a goon favourite because a lot of his books deal with macho genre topics while also being thought-provoking and packed with fantastic prose. The Road (shortest) is post-apocalyptic, Blood Meridian (best) is a western, No Country for Old Men (most accessible) is a thriller. McCarthy's style is weird but beautiful, laden with symbols and philosophical excursions.

Moby Dick is a crazy whaling adventure packed with memorable characters that will teach you how whaling worked. It's akin to a seaborne Blood Meridian in that it mixes intense, (literally) visceral description of the business at hand with a fog of symbols, ruminations and memorable characters. It has some long infodumps about whales and ships but if you can read SF&F that shouldn't put you off.

Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose (mediaeval monastic mystery) and Foucault's Pendulum (hilarious adventure into fake Da Vinci Code-esque conspiracies) I haven't read recently enough to advertise in detail, but I really enjoyed both when I was a wee teen raised on Pratchett and Harry Potter.

Peel fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Also jfc I assumed that gurm quote someone had in their custom title was a parody.

I really can't get into poetry, it just bounces off, even though I like well-turned prose. I feel like this is a hole in my reading but I don't really know what I should do about it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Poutling posted:

LOL Cormac McCarthy!!! Seriously though he's good. But TBB should branch out and try new things, maybe some William Gay or late Joe R Lansdale (The Bottoms, The Thicket)

He's overegged in this forum but that's precisely because he's a good fit for our demographics. So I think it's still worth pointing to him.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

More people should read literary fiction but leading off with 'I did a literal university degree in this and I can't believe how low your power levels are???' is a bit daft.

Peel fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 11, 2014

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Speaking of, is there an accepted best translation of Don Quixote?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Smrtz posted:

Ahh, sorry. I just made my account earlier yesterday, so I guess I'm still learning...

I'll grab it on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!

You want the Terry Pratchett thread, or the general SFF thread.

Borges is a solid recommendation anyway though.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

CestMoi posted:

I would like to read the book about sexy Maori girls living in a desert, please.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What is The New Sincerity? Think of it as irony and sincerity combined like Voltron, to form a new movement of astonishing power.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper I was inspired by your posting in that thread to come here and ask after books by muslim authors, which I will now do: what are some good and/or cool books by muslim authors?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

you have to be a dork to spend weeks indoors typing novels, and gnosticism was a cool thing to be into before the internet made it easy to get into anime

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

my vague understanding is that modern ultra-derivative 'epic fantasy' got going in the late 70s with really deliberate tolkien knockoffs like shannara that appealed to a mass market that wanted familiarity more than strangeness. there was a profusion and that combined with everyone playing d&d produced the stultifying cliches western 'fantasy' still labours under.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

your daily reminder that genre is a distinction of marketing not of content

god bless

this is true but it's also the case that sam q. reader will, on seeking out more books in a genre that's marketed to him, confuse it for a self-subsisting thing and think that's how writing should be done when he starts writing books himself. the marketing produces the content.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Old Man and the Sea.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ok who jacked mel's account and is playing a cruel prank

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Capital: Critique of Political Economy

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what are some good books prominently featuring hypocrites and/or narcissists

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i dunno about novels but the cyberiad was real good

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

also thanks for the recs everyone, on this and the islam question from before

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

then you buy the book a second time? you wouldn't eat the same burger twice, that's disgusting.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

lol if you haven't read the extant linear a inscriptions

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

now to understand kant, the people you need to read are

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason is a shorter work I enjoyed that can introduce the philosophical angle and might be less dependent on Kant. You could also try a secondary introduction like The Philosophy of Schopenhauer by Magee before reading his philosophy itself or his SEP page. Or yeah just read his less high-philosophical essays.

I had studied Kant before I got to Schopenhauer at all so I can't say what it's like without that background.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i actually haven't read his other essays much at all myself and probably should sometime

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

On this topic I'm gonna be reading Heidegger soon, did he write anything short and good to put on the list besides Being and Time?

e: I'll note there's a dedicated philosophy thread for questions about these authors.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

sff author wins the nobel, what's the world coming to

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Harry Martinson

i was thinking doris lessing but this is a way deeper cut

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/profile-rupi-kaur-author-of-milk-and-honey.html solid profile

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it's a fair point, i don't think bad male-oriented/friendly stuff tends to be made a big public joke in the same way. like dan brown didn't get the treatment twilight/fifty shades did.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

you forgot the Bible (KJV)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Realtalk, he's a stereotypical goon-approaching-lit suggestion but the Road by Cormac McCarthy will expand your idea of how words can be used while also being a solid post-apocalypse story. If you like it, try Blood Meridian.

Besides that uhhh, what do you actually like to see in books, what do you want to get out of reading ~real literature~?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Don Quixote

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbf a good book cover is really nice

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

ulvir posted:

isn’t 1Q84 the one where the solution to some problem is to have psychic sex with a 14 year old

if so, well thread title on fleek

it's the one where murakami makes it very very clear that his buff author protagonist definitely does not want to have sex with the beautiful 17yo with huge knockers he's banging

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

cyberiad is real good

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

just read 'invisible cities' and i've realised: it's good

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

will do

found njal's saga in the charity bookshop for £2 though so going to read that first while the thread is still warm

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

just put the babyfucker thread in a dust jacket from crime and punishment or harry potter or something

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The RPO rewrite thread and a few other recent discussions around TBB have me curious: would anyone be interested in a thread about good prose vs. bad prose? Too many goons get up in arms or confused when a book's writing is criticized as "objectively bad". I thought it'd be nice if we had a place where everyone can argue about what makes prose good or bad.

I'd make the thread, but since it'd basically be this thread vs. everyone else, I thought I'd pitch it here first.

i like this and also

Solitair posted:

I would like to write better prose and I would appreciate an opportunity to learn how.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Both were correct.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

one for murakami and one for kanye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

in light of the other responses I would like to change my joke to 'they're going to give out more and more nobels every time until murakami dies still not having received one'