Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
1Q84 should have ended with book 2. That would have been a :black101: ending, but book 3 ruined it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Kafka on the Shore posted:

“The pure present is an ungraspable advance of the past devouring the future. In truth, all sensation is already memory.”

Hoshino looked up, mouth half open, and gazed at her face. “What’s that?”

“Henri Bergson,” she replied, licking the semen from the tip of his penis.
"Mame mo memelay. "

"I'm sorry? "

"Matter and Memory. You ever read it? "

[...]

“I can’t think of anything special, but could you quote some more of that philosophy stuff? I don’t know why, but it might keep me from coming so quick. Otherwise I’ll lose it pretty fast.”

Say what you will about Murakami, you can always count on him to write some seriously weird sex scenes.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 7, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do think the Murakami hate on these forums is overblown. The perverted stuff is a pretty small part of his work, and his books basically being quirky Wes Anderson movies in prose form is actually pretty cool. Wes Anderson is good! I've enjoyed all the Murakami I've read, except the third book of 1Q84, which was garbage.

I mean that breasts quote is weird, but it's also a single paragraph in a massive 1000-page trilogy. It's not like people are constantly monologuing about weird sex. Muarakami is overrated, not terrible.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed The Secret History but think it could have been improved with a few minor changes:

One: Judy Poovey needs to be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.
Two: Whenever Poovey's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Poovey?"

Seriously, the side characters steal the show.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851808

There is a poetry thread, which could use some more activity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030264

The Chinese poetry thread in TSBF is also great.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

There's a really nice mural of part of Alfabet near me, painted by artist & wrier Dea Trier Mørch

Wonder what it's like in English

Alphabet posted:

apricot trees exist, apricot trees exist

bracken exists; and blackberries, blackberries;
bromine exists; and hydrogen, hydrogen

cicadas exist; chicory, chromium,
citrus trees; cicadas exist;
cicadas, cedars, cypresses, the cerebellum

doves exist, dreamers, and dolls;
killers exist, and doves, and doves;
haze, dioxin, and days; days
exist, days and death; and poems
exist; poems, days, death

early fall exists; aftertaste, afterthought;
seclusion and angels exist;
widows and elk exist; every
detail exists; memory, memory’s light;
afterglow exists; oaks, elms,
junipers, sameness, loneliness exist;
eider ducks, spiders, and vinegar
exist, and the future, the future

https://www.amazon.com/alphabet-Inger-Christensen-ebook/dp/B079MTJYT4

It's available as an e-book with a free sample.

Inger Christensen belonged to a Danish poetic movement called Systemic Poetry, in which entire collections of poems are organized according to strict formal demands. Alphabet uses both alphabetical ordering and the Fibonacci sequence.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 10, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A fun part of reading it as a an adult was recognizing how many of those classic Danish songs I liked in school were actually sequences from it set to music. Like this absolutely bitching sequence from ACTION - transitivities I still hum from time to time:

it posted:

So they cultivate grain on an altar in Chile
and use an old cannon to keep milk on ice
and then they make kindling of poison-tipped arrows
and use a lost bastion for growing their rice

And then they play ball games with innocent bombshells
And hide-and-go-seek in a closed parliament
And then they play chess with the minuscule pieces
Of what at one time was a great president

So they cultivate grapes in the stony old Mafia
And slaughter their sheep and goats inside the banks
And then they drive Rolls-Royces all around Sofia
And they burn rubles and dollars and francs

And then they sing songs of the joy of the people
And songs of the grief of the people as well
And then they blow off all the parties and topple
The last paper tiger from his citadel

The translation does a remarkable job of preserving the rhyme and meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2J8o9joFeY

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/161271-the-pure-present-is-an-ungraspable-advance-of-the-past

I've always felt like this is the quintessential Murakami quote. If you like it, you will love Murakami. NSFW.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Svend Åge Madsen! See if you can track down a copy of Virtue & Vice in the Middle Time, the only work of his that has been translated to English and one of my favorite books ever. It's basically the Count of Monte Christo, but set in 1970's magical realist Denmark as imagined by a fictitious author writing a thousand years in the future, where the 20th century has become this ill-defined age of wonders known as The Middle Time. Unfortunately, the hardcover is out of print, and there is no e-book edition.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

You at least need some Murakami to grasp how far the art has fallen off since.

Evergreen:

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Haruki Murakami: "Transparency Goat Hotel Story"- when middle aged writer Maruki Hurakami's cat gets lost inside a description of what al dente pasta means, it's up to some women who curiously want to have sex with him, as well as a sexy lolita who he is just friends with, no big deal, to solve the case of which band from the 70s stole all the Cutty Sark off a secret truck from another dimension. (Nominated for the 2015 Nobel Prize in literature)