Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Any suggestions OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Smoking Crow posted:

I recommend my favorite book, Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson. It's a beautiful look at the types of hosed up people that choose to live in small Midwestern towns. It's wonderful and dripping with subtext. Make sure to read every chapter twice to get the full meaning!

Effectronica posted:

Sun and Steel, Yukio Mishima
Outlaws of the Marsh/Water Margin/All Men Are Brothers, attributed to Shi Naian
Divina Commedia, Dante Aligheri, translated by John Ciardi
Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco
Revenge, Yoko Ogawa
The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce
Catch-22, Joseph Heller
The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
The Long Goodbye, Raymond Chandler
Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak
Roadside Picnic, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
At Swim-Two-Birds, Flann O'Brien
Go Down, Moses, William Faulkner
The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson

Thank you OP

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

ZombieLenin posted:

To read literature correctly, you cannot rely on translations. Therefore, I call shenanigans on all recommendations in this thread for literature not originally written in the English language. Unless, of course, you are recommending things written in non-English languages to people who already speak (or can at least read) them.

If we are going to do pretentious academic douchebaggary we have to do it right.

What

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Also I'm reading Catch-22 and it's good and cool. Bye

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

This thread is the best thing to happen to TBB in years.

Some Suggestions For Litteral Babies:

"I feel a deep-seated anxiety at the prospect of picking up a booke that isn't a trade paperback"

Read Elmore Leonard. Pitch-perfect, naturalistic tales of lowlifes, thugs, skip-chasers and mobsters engaging in heists, scams, cons, double-triple-crosses and the occasional murder. One of America's great novelists, incredibly fun to read. Start with Swag, Get Shorty, Skip, Tishomingo Blues, or LaBrava

"Gotta have spacemen and pew-pew lazzers"

Gene Wolfe writes recursive, Nabakovian weirdo-SF that is Actually Good Literature. Gorgeous prose, fascinating mindfuck narrative structures, displays of tremendous erudition, actual thought put into worldbuilding. Start with Book of the New Sun.

"books longer than a comic book are scary and bad"

Crying of Lot 49, Man Who Was Thursday, Night Train, Child of God, I dunno, grow up and read a big boy book goddammit.

"Im a badass who gets laid a lot and is generally a cool & popular dude *dons sunglasses*"

Gravity's Rainbow

Swag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Pessimisten posted:

You people don't see how the whole premise of "mine is better the yours" is pretentious? Starting any discussion that way is loving stupid and childish. "Watching sports is for brain dead jocks, stop it immediately or you're classified a stupid man child... now let me present you with this selection of fine classic movies that I'm sure you're willing to welcome with an open mind after i insulted your tastes"

I don't really care to reread this thread (because frankly this thread is pretty poo poo) just to count the amount of times wizard jokes or the like were thrown out there just to make fun of "genre books" and the people who read them.

I'm just going to say this. I wont claim to have read many classics. In fact i read next to nothing at all until a few years back as reading didn't really engage me. But the ones i have, quite frankly didn't impress me a whole lot. That is not to be taken as a blanket statement of "classic literature sucks". It's just that, seeing how what I've read wasn't all that, in that it was neither very cleaver nor engaging i haven't really made an effort to seek out more. I found some books entertaining, don't get me wrong. I found Steinbeck to be read worthy, can't really say why. But the subtleties in most we're not very subtle and even when they we're they were not very enlightening or meaningful. Classic literature kind of comes across to me like poetry: I see what you're going for but i just don't care and the way you wrote it wasn't as impressive as you think.

Your so called genre books on the other hand i do seek out. Because i don't read those to be enlightened or more sophisticated. They can be stupid, silly and juvenile. I read them as a fun pass time or simple escapism, a word i know people like to toss around as bad in several classic literature discussions. Let's just leave it at the fact that i don't share that view and find escapism something of worth. That said, i get bored of them sometimes and wouldn't mind trying something different just to get a bit of variety.

You don't get to make a snap judgement about my intellect or maturity just because you find my tastes different from yours. Your metrics have no objectivity to them. Reading classic literature in an of itself hold no real value. The value lies with what the reader takes from it. I take very little that i don't find in bigger supply elsewhere. If you on the other hand do, then that's great and i will gladly have your favorite books recommended to me when they aren't presented as "my poo poo smells better then yours, therefor i am now a better person" Your fragrance isn't as fine as you think and and in the end were both standing there smelling different kinds of poop, whether or not you're willing to admit to that.

I'm sure my imperfect English will come across in this post too.

Pessimisten posted:

My god, the irony of this loving thread. You'd think people talking about the virtues of lit discussions and analysis would be a bit more open to actually reading posts and discussing them. Who the gently caress really has a prosecution complex in here? I don't identify with TBB or so called "genre fiction" and i could give a rats rear end about anyones opinion in either. I simply wanted to point out how this thread proclaims to serve some kind of purpose of broadening this forum while doing the exact opposite and alienating anyone who identified with the things you state so clearly to be bad and childish.

Grow up and stop hiding behind lovely excuses. This thread was started on a bad premise, whether or not you still find value in it and you enjoy talking about classic literature has nothing to do with it. And by all means, keep it going for as long as you please. Noone's here to ruin your fun. But you can't be behaving high and mighty one second and then going "Chill bro, we just be hangin, talkin books an poo poo in here! why ya'll gotta beef?". Before i just felt like making fun of such a childish thread proclaiming others to be juvenile, but this is seriously infuriating 5th grade bullshit. Try for a second, not to act like this is some silly flame war where you can win by going "pfft, whateva scrub!"

Excuse my profanity and bad language... But poo poo, would you act like adults.