Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Martin Amis is one of my favorites and I've yet to see him mentioned. I recommend Money, London Fields, and Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offence. Time's Arrow is a fantastic read and could probably be considered sci-fi to some extent considering the narrator is traveling backwards through time.

Along with Amis I really enjoy Salman Rushdie, Ian McEwan, Saul Bellow, Nabokov, and Heller. With that knowledge, is someone able to suggest someone new for me? That'd be pretty god drat awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Iamblikhos posted:

Have you read anything by Italo Calvino?

No. His wiki looks interesting though. Have a tip on where to start?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Christoper Hitchens, James Fenton...

I was specifically thinking fiction so I didn't include Hitchens in my list, but in retrospect he should be in there. Letters to a Young Contrarian hosed my world up. I've been meaning to read Fenton for years now.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Doulos posted:

I've seen other people ask for recommendations in this thread, so hopefully I won't get my throat slit. I've wanted to try and read more good books for a long time, since I actually enjoyed some of the books I read in high school, but then I went to school for engineering and never took an English class again. I've read and really like Catch-22, Faust, Frankenstein (this book is so utterly unlike every single reference to it I have no idea how it happened) and Heart of Darkness, read some others that don't stick out (hated Bronte but probably because it was high school), and I'm really well read on plays at least. My wife's favorite book is 1984, but I didn't make much headway when I tried to read that a few months ago. I adore absurfist theatre and Catch 22 is probably my absolute favorite novel, do any suggestion in that vein would be great, but I'm also considering some detective stories because I listen to old detective radio shows all the time.

But seriously, Frankenstein's monster is yellow, speaks eloquent French and was extremely physically coordinated, how the Hell did we get the modern version of the monster?

Check out Money or London Fields by Martin Amis.