Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I think mods are just generally getting tired of BoTL and their shtick of "I am taste god, make everyone else miserable" so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
A couple months ago someone in this thread suggested Ann Petry’s “The Street” as an example of underrated African-African literature and I want to thank them because I bought it and read it in like a day and a half and it was one of my most enjoyable reads in some time. Just effortlessly wonderful writing. Devastating. Can’t recommend it enough for those who haven’t read it.
Think I’m gonna do 2666 next lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just finished the first part of 2666. I was certainly fascinated at first, mainly because Bolańo’s text was a pleasure to read, but I certainly didn’t expect it to become an existential horror story. I loved that it did, though.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Famethrowa posted:

it's become my little treat to myself to read 20 pages or so a night so I can savor the prose. I'm just now getting to the horror, and it's a pretty nice twist after the academic's love triangle.

It really is such a creeping dread too, deployed perfectly. There’s a banality and silliness to the critic’s lives and interminglings - that they’re taking all of this SO seriously - and then all of a sudden I realize I’m fairly freaked out by what I’m reading. Something is just incredibly “off” but I can’t quite explain why. After I finished the section I had to sort of just lay down and decompress. Hit me good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Awesome, that vibe is definitely my poo poo. I can already tell I’m going to want to read more of his stuff after this. I’ve always been fascinated by him, and “Godzilla in Mexico” has been one of my favorite poems since I first came across it in school.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Genuinely very funny in the 3rd part of 2666 when the old man is giving the lecture at the church and he keeps going off script and detailing recipes for healthy dinners.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Thank you, I picked this up after another mentioned it as well in here, haven't gotten to it yet though.

Also going to say I read Ann Petry's The Street after it was recommended here and it was a great book.

I installed a little-free-library outside my house a year ago and have found it to be a fun experience. Someone in this neighborhood likes Haruki Murakami a lot. Lots of kids books and pseudo-spiritual self help books of course, though I pulled out Three Farmers On Their Way To A Dance the other day.

The Street was SO good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m knee deep in Book 4 of 2666 rn. It’s...certainly taken a while to read. Sometimes I just have to put it down for a couple days because the horrors detailed in that section can be draining! Which is what he’s going for! It’s beautiful and terrible.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Guess I’ll sneak in here since yall are talking about him, but this thread finally got me to read Mishima. I read Life For Sale last week which felt like a solid entry point. Sort of reminded me of one of those aimless LA mystery novels/movies like The Long Goodbye or Big Lebowski where the protagonist is just wildly over his head and doesn’t even realize it, and there’s these weird factions working against him in the background that he’s barely aware of,
Started Forbidden Colors last night and the language and writing are immediately much more challenging. In a good way! I like challenge. I’m about a fifth of the way in and probably my favorite part so far was Yuchan in the park in the early morning with all the other gay dudes.
I also have the Schrader movie to watch, just wanted to read a couple of his actual books before I watched it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

PeterWeller posted:

It strikes me that writing a book titled Life For Sale for a paycheck is itself a statement.

lol absolutely

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just read these good Mishima lines five minutes ago

“Internal existence is life, objective existence is nothing but death…”

“The artistic work…was a kind of refined death. It had a peculiar power to permit life to touch and experience death in advance.”

I literally got Forbidden Colors in my hand as I post ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Mel sucks, I hate his posting, but has good taste in books. Them’s the breaks.
I enjoyed him more when he didn’t post for like two years