Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I read The Glass Bead Game and it was terrible. I now hate literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

it's pretty neat though?

The concept was pretty neat but it was written as if the objective was to be as unengaging and dry as possible, and it only accidentally slipped into storytelling in a few of the conversations. The three shorts at the end were the best part by far and almost redeemed the whole thing, but then it ended with IT WAS ALL A DREAM ! ! ! -- I mean, are you serious... I know it was written in the 40s but that had to be played out even by then, and even seeing it for the first time it's supremely unsatisfying unless maybe you're 12.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

the faux-academic style was deliberate, yes. and the dreaminess is a big part of the charm as well. it's definitely not a plot-driven novel though.

mind you, i read it twhen i was 16, but i remember it as my favourite of Hesse, and practically the only one where he doesn't go all Coelho on you.

Possibly I won't be a fan of his then :'(

I am not educated or experienced in the world of smart books and I judge everything by how entertaining it is. I felt offended that it seemed to go out of its way to be less entertaining than it could have been.

Good literature I've read this year:

Crime and Punishment: Amazing
Lolita: Amazing
The Trial: Okay
The Crimson Petal and the White: Amazing (literature? maybe not, but it should be cause it's amazing)

everything else is genre. i like genre. mmmm cheeseburgers

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Cyberiad as part of my Stanislaw Lem marathon and while I like the stories, it seems like something that really shouldn't be read in a single sitting.

Any recommendations for which book I should go for next? His Master's Voice maybe?

I'm listening to Peace on Earth right now and it's pretty neat

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
How are you enduring that lol

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Holding yourself to 52 books a year means gritting through the bad ones

Nice. I'm aiming for 25 this year but i think i will probably make it to around 35 if i stop picking 1300 page monsters like 1Q84

that book was a big waste of time btw

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

I was reading Kim S Robinson's Aurora, but I quit after 150 pages when there were 5 pages about moving Mars rocks around, all told in loving detail.

I wouldn't say a lot of these authors see characters as unfortunate obligations, but they often use them solely as tropes and tools for the plot, without much interest in what the characters are like as people, what makes them tick, etc. even the better ones seem to be more an attempt on the part of the author to create an 'interesting character', rather than letting them live, for the lack of a better word.

which is ok, I guess, because the plots are often created in a similar way to thrillers or crime books, i.e., like intricate puzzles that have lots of moving parts, which have to fit together perfectly and move the whole book towards a climax. whereas living characters make things go off the rails. plus, you need to devote quite a few pages to show what they're really like, and it's a waste of pages you could use to talk about a rad solution to a physics problem.

Has anyone talked about three body problem? Cause that trilogy is like the embodiment of this and I loved it. The characters are like, whatever--but the ideas. So many ideas. Like, the kind of idea where you think 'ah i could write a novel based around that idea!' but you get one every chapter, sometimes multiple per chapter. Its hit after hit of whatever chemical your brain spurts when you learn something new. Feels good man

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Read 'book of strange new things' if you want sci fi with good characterization.

Michel Faber is pretty much the best.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

i read 80 books last year and almost all of them were good

do you just spend all your free time reading or...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
just about finished with peace on earth-- way too much moon robots, not enough split brain.
up next is for whom the bell tolls, am i in for a good time?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lol @bookstores

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
For whom the bell tolls is pretty meh so far

is Hemmingway one of those writers everyone loves because he's so mediocre and everyman, or what?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lol

thou art an expletive

how bout my nobel prize now ty

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
1q84 could have been decent with about 500 pages of it cut. Marukami has a very weak willed editor I think. That and 'hard boiled wonderland' were my first and only two Marukami novels, both seemed pulled out of thin air and made no sense in the end and also featured lots of scenes describing cooking, and other mundane aspects of daily life. Did I pick bad choices or is that just his style, cause I feel no drive to try again.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Lot of people in here with the laughable perspective of 'people who dislike things I like should kill themselves so I can live in the homogeneous world of matching opinions i'm accustomed to.'

I do hope my first impression is wrong though cause otherwise I've got 15 more hours of war shenanigans to be bored over.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How the gently caress would it take you 15 hours to read a 500 page book

i'm listening to that one, narration takes a lot longer.

I'm currently reading the city in the city which is super great so far.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Books on tape ffs

you're a real crochety old fucker aren't you. What else am I supposed to do with the two hours i have to drive every weekday.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not listen to incomparable masterpieces of literature

well, sorry im not a 23 yo college student who is thunderstruck by the awesmitude of every single book i open.

Books are supposed to be entertaining. if not that, then very beautifully written. So far 'for whom the bell tolls' is neither.

anyway thanks for doing your part to keep up the stereotype of people who read 'literature'

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
pr much true

i thought 'hey book thread where people talk about books'

not 'hey book thread maybe i can go there and have people call me dumb for enjoying things slightly less/more than they do'

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Well I am good at shitposting, so maybe if i work hard I can fit in after all

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

fridge corn posted:

you won't understand the lit thread until you finally read aquarium just to shut mel up

well i live near seattle so maybe i will just for that reason but otherwise it sounds like just the opposite of whatever im interested in.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The Belgian posted:

Do not fall for the Aquarium meme.

i will listen to this guy based solely on his avatar

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Corby Haas posted:

The Sun Also Rises is one of my very favorite books, and perhaps the only book I've ever read twice. I read For Whom the Bell Tolls because of my love for TSAR and found it to be sort of whatever.

I do very recommend TSAR. It's very short, very beautiful, and very Hemingway i.e. short direct sentences about beautifully sad drunk people.

cool, i will give this hemmmingway fellow a second chance then.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
finished the city and the city. it was pretty good for a crime novel, creative, interesting. sort of lost steam at the end though and fell into the trap of 'lets have a huge conversation with the villain about everything that wasn't clear yet while we point guns at eachother'

opened up Ulysses and read two pages and it was terrible and now I distrust all literary critics. started brothers karamozov instead. its good

bell tolling is growing on me. this scene where they are flogging fascists and throwing them off a cliff is pretty intense and is getting to me badly. good stuff. but the dialogue is still weird and idg who these people are supposed to be, most of them dont talk like normal humans but like they are from a couple centuries ago or something.

thats my book updates thanks for listening.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ulvir posted:

ulysses is actually insanely good and funny so your opinion is wrong

maybe i will read another 2 pages one of these days then. it annoys me when people do dumb things with dialogue to try and be unique, like cormac mccarthy and hemmmmingway too, apparently

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

james joyce in the year 1917: i'm going to write dialogue in this way to appear unique

--did everyone really write dialogue like this in 1917, derp asked intelligently

if so it must have been a fad that lasted like 2 years cause none of the other old books ive read or opened the first page of and gave up on have done that.i took it to be some dipshit trying to be avant garde

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

Like, I can understand not enjoying Joyce, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but this is an almost impressively bad opinion.

...Are you Nicholas Sparks?!?

i did write a novel that was tacitly about love

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
okay i will try it again that sounds like my jam

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

this member of the avant garde is writing in an avant garde manner! why my luck so bad

sorry i dont do extensive research on books before i open them, especially when they are 99c on kindle. if the first couple pages don't grab me i move on to the next one cause there are literally millions of books out there did you know? no reason to force yourself through one particular one

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
:moonrio:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Powaqoatse posted:

Starting lines of dialogue with a dash is super common :confused: unless it's the sentence continuing afterwards that's freaking you out?

Herman Bang wrote like that too:

–Satan, Satan, said Lange every minute in increasingly passionate tones; he had pinched Berg's arm both yellow and green.

–Satan, Satan....

good to know ty

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
alright, i say we move this conversation onto serious writing and literature. lets talk about mangas

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Burning Rain posted:

lol if im reading a book with thous and doests in it

Not a hemmmmmingway fan i take it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
im too busy reading the first letter of beloved classics then throwing them in the trash cause i dont like the font

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Quit being a loving child and read some real shitposting

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
fascism is the hip new thing these days if you didn't notice

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
gave up on karamazov after 20 pages, poo poo's as boring as the bible, going on and on about all these family members. started the peregrine instead and holy wow is that good. such deliciously beautiful words, and also i love birds. i wonder how he can keep this up for a whole novel but am excited to find out.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i will give it a second try then after i finish this bird book and also after i give ulysses a second try. I already gave karamazov ten times as many pages as i usually do because c&p was so good, but I will give it more on your recomendation!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

Hey there Lit thread, I only have one third of a brain (missing Brodman areas 24 thru 41 inclusive) and was wondering if any of you have good book recommendations, thank you, lovingly CestMoi

what kind of books do you like. maybe if you are missing brain parts you would enjoy name of the wind by patrick rothfuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hello. I would never not finish crime and punishment. how can you ever put it down after porfiry shows up especially