Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rest his guts posted:

It turns out Pentti Linkola is fairly loving chill

Well that's one way to look at it.

(He was right about the Green League - now usually called just the Greens - though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

derp posted:

I did find it very frustrating to read because Offred didn't do anything. She didn't even try and fail to do something. That doesn't make for a very good character imo.

I don't think you've followed the thread title's advice much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

surf rock posted:

Are people still big on Hemingway?

Not having read anything of his before, I picked up A Moveable Feast. About 20 pages in and... I thought his whole thing was being economical with his writing? There's so much setting description, ugh.

Maybe there's a reason he didn't have it published?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: oh nevermind

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He left out the best story, i.e. To Have and Have Not :arghfist::butt:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just don't read them lmao.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like Poopee Augh

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 26, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rupi Kaur is the Dan Nainan (millennial comedian) of poetry.

e: OK I actually read some of Kaur's poems and their main malfunction seems to be lack of an editor, as some of them are OK poems* but for every one of those there's ten that are piss.

*) My standard is "does it make me grimace?"

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 26, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: Why are we talking about poetry in a thread that should be about REAL literature :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WatermelonGun posted:

you’ve only posted about rupi kaur and hemingway

You've posted about gently caress-all because I have you on ignore :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quit being a loving child and read some horny literature.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's wrong with McSweeney's Mc's Sweeney?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh no that must be horrible!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nut posted:

I have tried to read a lot of McSweeney's books in the past and even their monthly releases and there is a good thing here and there but it's so infrequent.

Sounds like literally every publisher ever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress I was trying to look through my bookcase but nothing noteworthy of history is in English. :D

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't like it, but I think you would.

More like Unfunite Pest.

e: I checked if I'd read anything from this year and the newest books I've read are from 2018, and one of them is an A.A. Fair reprint :negative:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 18, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there any real (modern) literature with wizards in it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Once and Future King?

Thinking about Le Morte d'Arthur was why I put in modern. But you're cheating!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The North Tower posted:

I forgot about chivalric romances for good fantasy. Roland killing 10k moors with a single blow, dynasty warriors-style.

Should've concentrated on the Basques though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Melquíades in One Hundred Years of Solitude might qualify as a wizard?

You know I read that a few years ago and I can't say I remember basically anything about the actual story, other than the fact that 75% of the characters had the same name. Now that you mentioned Melquíades I remember there was a guy but drat if I can remember if he did any magicking.

I tend to forget most of the content of books I didn't like. (I liked La mala hora though.)

thehoodie posted:

Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin? About a time travelling healer.

I'll have to check that one out :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What I get from this is only Anglophone white men count as white men.

Anyway I got nine, five of which I inherited from my great aunt. AMA.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nut posted:

how horrible of a boyfriend was ur great aunt

She was great :shrug:

Also a member of the book club.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That list of books makes no goddamn sense

I know; if I were an edgy Anglo writing something like that, I'd include Wodehouse.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The North Tower posted:

This reminds me of the movie Mystic Pizza, where Julia Roberts’ PORTUGUESE heritage is too much for the WASP family of her boyfriend.

Edit: lit content. I’m almost done with The Blind Assassin. Did this deserve a Booker prize? There’s definitely a good 350 page book in this 520 page thing.

quote:

an advisory committee, which includes a writer, two publishers, a literary agent, a bookseller, a librarian, and a chairperson

Somehow I don't think it's at all about literary merit :thunk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its really weird that a woman who is an absolute stereotype took the time to write an article about stereotypical white men

It's weird that people ITT are talking about her.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A human heart posted:

World literature forum is ok iirc although it's an older crowd so they don't really get how irony and posting works.

Does that mean it's not 99,99% people who only read anime and harry potter and complain about people who don't, like, uhh, some other place`?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if anyone wants to ever to talk books I am on twitter as Mel_Mudkiper now if you excuse me I want to watch everything burn lol

Ah yes Twitter, the web site with the OK owner cum operator.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I make no moral justifications to where it post just people seem to wondering where to discuss books

Well fortunately this was never the place anyway :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everyone register on BCG-Box.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm currently in two book clubs; one is reading Infinite Jest, the other is reading Twilight. The dualities of man.

What even are book clubs? I have like the faintest notion.

(Apart from the kind of book club where they send you a John Grisham novel every month and you - get this - pay them lmao. Do those still exist?)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I found the copy of Senor el Presidente by Asturias that I'd started and read some last night. Today I was amazed by how far I'd gotten, judging by where the bookmark was. Turns out it's not got a lot of pages, just really thick ones so it looks much longer than it is. I guess it's because of capitalism? :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sophocles is is good, yeah. Also reminds me of when I spent like ten minutes figuring out whether Nick Smith should go under S or U and figured on the former so Sophocles ended up in good company:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never read computer video game novelizations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sci-fi is a sub-genre of fantasy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of authors are dead. Most, possibly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

derp posted:

all the ones i read are, anyway

edit: out of the 40 books i read this year 3 were by living authors. lol

I'm slowly getting to where most of the books I read have a long ISBN. But they might still be dead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read all of the book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"Lore" is an absolutely infuriating word for trivia.

It's useful because then you know it's trivia about the fiction and thus can and should be skipped altogether, as opposed to actually interesting trivia about the book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

You must always keep an eye out for fart jokes

You develop a nose for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was really enjoying Borges until he switched to second gear and I tried to keep up for a bit, looking things up in other books, but then I just made like Atlas and read through without understanding almost anything.

e: And I'm still not sure if he was just making it all up as he went

Carthag Tuek posted:

One thing I really dislike in genre fiction is when they put dramatis personae and vocabularies and all kinds of extraneous worldbuilding poo poo in the front or back matter.

It's for speed-runners.