Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Guy A. Person posted:

Guys I have been reading "The Master and Margarita and boy has it been great.

My biggest problem is that when I go sit down on the river walk outside of my building people always smoke by me and I hate the smell. How do I get them to stop doing that??

Get your giant cat to sic 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

drat, Kobe is a well-read dude. Who knew? His reviews are great too.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Any Ferrante fans here looking forward to final Neapolitan novel coming out next week? Kinda sad to see it end, but I know I'll devour in a couple days.

Absolutely. I tore through the first three in about a week each before realizing I'd have to wait for the final one to come out. Have it on preorder at the local book store, will be heading down there as soon as I get the chance. Really don't know what to expect from it apart from another brilliant book.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Fellwenner posted:

Yes! Wallace Stegner is probably my favorite American author. The settings of his books are western and he does generational novels really well, as so few authors seem to do. The prose isn't perfect, but his characters are.

I once found Angle of Repose at a bar and took it home. It sits on my bookshelf unread. Perhaps this will give me the motivation to try it out. Didnt realize he was an author with any sort of prestige.

On another note, has anyone made it through the new Ferrante novel? I'm about 2/3 in and it is utterly devastating. I've wanted to alternately scream and cry the entire way through. Here's hoping for some happy resolution (yeah right)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Flattened Spoon posted:

So I finished the Neapolitan series by Farrente. It makes Germinal seem tame in comparison and the revenge in The Count of Monte Cristo seem like child's play. There's so much Italian history and politics that I didn't know about, and it was well integrated in the story between Elena and Lila and a huge host of other characters. You really see the best and worst in almost all of them.

There is a lot of "telling" of what characters feel and do, but there's so much happening it doesn't really take away from the writing, and the books would be so much longer if she didn't write like that.

I've never really written a book review before and I don't really know what to say without giving anything away, but I loved the series.

I just finished it this morning too. This book broke me. I don't know what to think of anything or anyone. I really can't resign myself to anything, that this book is over, or anything. The series elides description, both its style and its content, but it was certainly brilliant and livelier and fuller than any book I remember reading. What a sadness to have it be over.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

ulvir posted:

It looks like she's mostly writing serialised fiction? unless I'm mistaken. any specific book you recommend?

Read the Neapolitan series, which starts with "My Brilliant Friend." Absolutely fantastic in every way.

Where do you get the impression she's writing serialised fiction? Unless it's from the intentionally pulpy covers of all of her books.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Name a book where that happens

In other news, Sunday Book Review decided to ask Knausgaard to review Houellebecq and the results are hilarious

Stoner, by John Williams.

Super depressing. Read it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Hey can anyone recommend some good poetry books not by white dudes? I just looked at my bookshelf and all my poetry books are by white dudes (plus one Sylvia Plath). Anything is fine, as long as it's good I'll take a look at it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

I just checked out City On Fire for my long book I'm going to read like a third of over winter break

Report back on how this is please.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

War All the Time and A Brief History of Seven Killings!

But I had like five more books on my amazon wishlist and no one got them for me :(

I got Brief History also, as well as Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb (anyone read this??). And also Gamelife by Michael Clune, which was a pretty cool read about video games and childhood, but was occasionally insufferable and disturbing. Clune is friends with Ben Lerner (:barf:) so that might explain something.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

blue squares posted:

I hated Underworld. White Noise is a terrible introduction to DeLillo because it fools you into thinking he is funny and writes madcap stories like the Airborne Toxic Event. Then you read any of his other books and they are humorless and annoying. I really dislike all the DeLillo I have read outside of White Noise, which I loved.

Mao II and End Zone were pretty good. Looking forward to reading Libra one day also.

I agree re: Underworld though, too much going on without any sort of coherence. Bo-ring.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Looking to read The Odyssey for the first time (probably The Iliad and the Aeneid too), what's a good poetic translation? I have the Rieu translation but it's in prose, so that's not exactly what I want.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

I've only read Blindness but it rules.

Has anyone read The Little Red Chairs yet? It sounds like extremely My poo poo but book 3 of My Struggle is staring at me

gently caress yes. The Little Red Chairs is so good. Picked it up the day it came out in NA and read it in about two. The book is fantastic. I don't really want to say anything else because I don't want to spoil it for you but post when you're done and I'll talk about it.

Also Saramago rules. Read Blindness last month and have Seeing on the pile. How does it stack up (ha ha)?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Reading Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o. Whoever said Kenyan lit was hype was right on. Just read a scene where African students at Cambridge organized a strike because the headmaster wanted them to bury his dead dog.. So great.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

david crosby posted:

Glad yo;u liked it.

Can anyone recommended some kool short story authors? I want to read lots of the big time short story writers over the next few years. recently I've read Borges (again) Chekhov, Nabokov, Flannery O'Connor & O Henry. Short stories are good because you can read them quick and keep your PPD count high.

Read Alvaro Enrigue's Hypothermia. Weird depraved Mexican author. Book features orgies, infidelity, being struck by lightning, and reality TV cooking show embarrassment. It's super cool.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

My barber (who recommended me Bolano and Ferrante before they were "cool") also told me about Alejandro Zambra, so I will check it out.

In other news, I'm reading Taipei by Tao Lin and I seriously can't tell if this is satire or in earnest. Please help. Also he is not as good of a writer as he thinks he is.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Good Lieutenant

Is this the sequel to The Good Soldier where he gets promoted?

Realtalk: I'm reading Boy Snow Bird by Helen Oyeyemi right now but I am tempted to reread Infinite Jest again cause I was a baby when I read it the first time. Also I have Hypothermia by Alvaro Enrigue on the stack right now. Too many books!

thehoodie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 3, 2016

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Cloks posted:

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me

Yeah this book is real cool. The author, Richard Farina was Thomas Pynchon's best friend in college and died in a motorcycle accident like a week before/after (I forget) after this book was published. Pretty awesome.

Cool poo poo in the book too.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

I'm reading a book called Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrique. It's about a tennis match between the painter Caravaggio and the poet Quevedo to settle a duel over a drunken argument neither of them remember, played with a tennis ball made out of the hair of Anne Boleyn. It's pretty cool.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

I'm going to the bookstore today. I can afford one book. What should I get?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

I'm reading The Golden Notebook. It's rad. Anyone else read it?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

blue squares posted:

I'm learning Spanish and it's coming along quite quickly (I have four semesters of college Spanish, and can have a decent conversation, but my still limited vocab is the #1 problem... but anyway). I want to start reading primarily latin american lit. The only truly well known book I've read is One Hundred Years of Solitude. What would be the best way to go about exploring latin american literture? I want to stay pretty recent. Should I pick a country and read a few books from there or should I bounce around? Is there a good list out there I can follow?

Oh, and I'll be reading in translation for now.
Thanks

I recommend Zambra and Bolano and Fuentes and Alvaro Enrigue, but I would also like to know some more good Latin America authors because all those guys are rad. Since they're all guys, maybe some women Latin American authors??

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

blue squares posted:

Congratulations for not wasting any more time on it

Get out. That book is amazing

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Anyone here read Gyula Krudy? He's a Hungarian writer and pretty weird. For instance, I am reading The Adventures of Sinbad and in the second story Sinbad has a dream he is a King, wakes up and goes to find an ex-lover who turned out to have been watching him since they were apart, then he dies and becomes a piece of mistletoe hanging in the room of another ex-lover.

Anyway, it's pretty rad.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Ugh I just started reading Aquarium and I got to the part where the police confront the old man in the aquarium and it turns out to be Caitlin's grandfather and I am broken. This book is breaking me and I'm not even halfway through. But I can't stop reading!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh buddy you are at like 10%

I just spent the rest of the day so far reading and finishing it, and boy you are not kidding here. I think I need to spend the weekend curled up on my couch.

Definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So what are thoughts about the guy claiming to have unmasked Ferrante?

Frankly I think its vaguely misogynistic and pointless as an endeavor and an insult to literature as an art form

As someone somewhere (I think my FB) said, attempts to reveal the identity of someone who said they'll stop writing if their identity revealed seem like nothing other than attempts to get them to stop writing.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Just started reading At Swim-Two-Birds. This poo poo is hilarious and I have no idea what is happening.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Fun fact: Bob Dylan and Thomas Pynchon probably hung out once or twice in college.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Bob Dylan barely stayed in college for a year and in Minnesota? How would he hang out with Pynchon in Cornell in the 50's if he didn't even go to New York until the early 60's, when Pynchon was working for Boeing in Seattle?

Sorry it was after college. Blame Farina.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

What do you call a Nobel Laureate made of corn?

Cob Dylan

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Finished At Swim-Two-Birds. What a rad book.

Probably gonna read Paul Beatty's White Boy Shuffle, or Andrey Kurkov's Death and the Penguin next. Anyone read either of those and have opinions?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, a somewhat obscure writer I like, Steven Sherrill, has a new book out.

The Minotaur takes his Own Sweet Time, which is a sequel to The Minotaur takes a Cigarette Break. I have always liked his writing so I am excited to check it out.

I loved this book and am very glad it has a sequel. Hopefully it's good. Please report back if you read it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

J_RBG posted:

The Sellout has won the Booker if anyone's interested

e: bloody Yanks

Nice! I'm reading Beatty's first book The White Boy Shuffle, right now and its pretty good. I'll have to check out this book, will be interesting to see how he's developed.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

i really couldn't get into all that man is but i only read the first chapter with the two dorks reading henry james and ~living on the edge~, does it get better?

Yeah I think so, I think that first chapter is like making fun of pretentious youth who think that kind of poo poo. But I found the book kind of frustrating because all the stories are about (presumably, though I guess it isn't explicitly stated) the struggle of white men, which is like all of literature ever, but it's really well written so I read it anyway.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

ulvir posted:

this year will be the year that I read krasznahorkai

He is good. I read Seiobo, There Below which is about depressed middle aged men who have no solace apart from art. Also each story is told without periods which is very enrapturing. I am going to read War & War here sometime soon, after I finish Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin (has anyone here read that? it's about a Russian doctor except way better than Zhivago (which is also good)).

On another note, I am embarking upon a journey to read a book by an author from every country in the world. Anyone have any recommendations for authors from some of the smaller countries like Tuvalu and Nauru?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

fridge corn posted:

that guy thinks American Gods was really good and clever

I think it's a lady.

But anyway, I already found that website, just wondering if goons have any particular recommendations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

A human heart posted:

there's a lot of affluent american authors from new york with names like dave, jonathan, garth, and bombo, and they're all extremely stupid

Don't forget Ben

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

I read the Vann book and it was Not Good.

I read this post and it was Not Good.

For content: I just read Wittgenstein's Mistress which is about a woman who thinks she is the only person in the world and makes a bunch of allusions to authors and artists she hung out with, like the time when her cat sat on William Gaddis's lap. It was weird but also I think I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Holy ugh, this article makes me mad.

The Rising Tide of Educated Aliteracy.

I don't even want to post any part of it. Summary: "educated" and "intelligent" people glorifying not reading.