Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Oxxidation posted:

I have recommended Salman Rushdie to everyone I know, including strangers, cats, plants, and dead people.

I might make a thread on him one of these days, probably not because effort

I'm debating on starting Midnight's Children soon...I haven't read Rushdie yet but I picked up a copy. I have a couple other books lined up first, but is that a decent place to start with his work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Midnight's Children is sort of Rushdie's work writ large - lots of historical fiction, identity crises, magical realism, etc, etc - but it's also one of his densest, and I've chewed through pretty much his whole bibliography. If you're in the mood for a loving battleship of a novel then full speed ahead, but if you'd rather start with something lighter then Fury or The Enchantress of Florence might be better, even though the prose of the former isn't as impressive and the latter's completely historical fiction instead of a timeline-jumper like a lot of his other books.

Pretty much all of Rushdie's books deal in part with Indian expats angsting their way through British society, so if you haven't educated yourself on that particular social complex then you sure as poo poo will have been by the time you finish a few of his novels. Midnight's Children is literally the entire history of India as a nation personified in the life of a single man, so you'll be running into that identity commentary a lot.

Thank you! This has been very insightful and I'll keep the information in mind when I read it. Your description of it as a "loving battleship" actually makes me want to go to it more than anything.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Anyone read Nostromo by Conrad? I've had it on my shelf for a while (so many unread books on my shelf).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

computer parts posted:

For Whom the Bell Tolls had about a third of it written in Spanish.

And it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's all about getting in step with an author's rhythm. I'd guess there might be a lot of Kerouac haters out there, but On the Road was all rhythm for me. It took three or four false starts before I really got into it. If you can latch onto a particular style, even dense or "difficult" books can read smoothly and easily.