Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lmao imagine readng a book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's more fun to talk about the bad.

I remember literature classes in high school (a looooong time ago) and hating dissecting every loving word. No, Mr. Jones, I don't know what the author meant by the scene with the three-legged dog and, frankly, I don't give a gently caress.

Hello Mister Kingdom, you can read good literature and simply enjoy the words as they are presented to you on the page for being well constructed and beautiful and not even think about any meaning to yourself/the human peoples of the world. However, the very best books of all just cause you to think about them even when you are not reading them and you spontaneously engage in your own analysis and think about whether you believe the Don Quixote of Pierre Menard is the same as the Don QUixote of Miquel de Cervantes or if you think a man running across Europe trying to stop a bomb being launched by black Nazi commandos might bear some relevance to your own life. You don't need to sit and analyse every aspect but you will catch yourself thinking about the book on a level above "I hope Arya dies next".

Please read good books the Book Barn I recommend to you Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavic it is very enjoyable, has some really great words, is interestingly written and is largely an analogy for modern Serbia but you don't even need to think about that if you don't want to (I didn't)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Whalley posted:

If you read genre fiction you're a child and only non genre stuff is allowed to have deeper meanings. Alif the Unseen may have seemed like an exploration of the balance between tradition and technology over the backdrop of a criticism of Western concepts of intellectual freedom but that's only because you're a child reading books about genies by comic book authors go suck a diaper you nerd

I must have missed the discussion on this one while looking at the 1 000 000 000 page Harry Potter thread

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Poutling posted:

Honestly, the biggest issue I find with TBB is that everyone reads and talks about the same books, all the drat time. It doesn't matter if it's in a 'no genre' thread or in a thread like cosmic horror, there's like 50 books that TBB reads and talks about ad nauseam. If you look at the Cosmic Horror thread, 90% of the talk in there is about Laird Barron and Thomas Ligotti. Also, Cormac McCarthy!!!! Constantly. Right now, everyone talks about Dictionary of the Khazars. Yes, I read it. Yes, it was good. Yes, I've also read Cormac McCarthy. I wish we could talk about some new books. Also some female authors would be nice.

I just finished reading The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates and it was so bizarre and interesting. I would love to talk about it but I'm not sure where to post it and if there's anyone who would actually discuss it with me. Also, I like reading new fiction that's come out because I read a lot of classics when I was in my twenties and now, I just like to read new stuff. Doesn't mean I don't like to throw in a 'classic' here and there but that's just my preference now. It's even harder to get people to discuss new 'literary fiction' because it's even less likely anyone's read it.

I think in general it's hard when you have a forum that doesn't really have a specific designation other than 'BOOKS!' Because there's so many books and people just end up talking 'at' each other rather than any real discussion happening since we aren't all reading the same things. The only books that get discussed are the ones that are so big, or so popular with this specific subset on the internet, that they get discussed constantly and forever. Unfortunately, that just happens to be mostly genre fiction.

You can all feel free to flame me into oblivion now.

Lmao I think the only person being all Dictionary of Khazars!! is me I haven't seen anyone else say anything about it.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't think anyone is saying read books you don't enjoy reading just that if you read books that you enjoy reading and make you think thoughts you may end up having a richer experience in this great game we call life.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Pessimisten posted:

My god, the irony of this loving thread. You'd think people talking about the virtues of lit discussions and analysis would be a bit more open to actually reading posts and discussing them. Who the gently caress really has a prosecution complex in here? I don't identify with TBB or so called "genre fiction" and i could give a rats rear end about anyones opinion in either. I simply wanted to point out how this thread proclaims to serve some kind of purpose of broadening this forum while doing the exact opposite and alienating anyone who identified with the things you state so clearly to be bad and childish.

Grow up and stop hiding behind lovely excuses. This thread was started on a bad premise, whether or not you still find value in it and you enjoy talking about classic literature has nothing to do with it. And by all means, keep it going for as long as you please. Noone's here to ruin your fun. But you can't be behaving high and mighty one second and then going "Chill bro, we just be hangin, talkin books an poo poo in here! why ya'll gotta beef?". Before i just felt like making fun of such a childish thread proclaiming others to be juvenile, but this is seriously infuriating 5th grade bullshit. Try for a second, not to act like this is some silly flame war where you can win by going "pfft, whateva scrub!"

Excuse my profanity and bad language... But poo poo, would you act like adults.

This Noone guy sounds pretty scary :D hahahaha I'm just kidding man you have a good day

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

As Camus teaches us it is not the quality but the quantity of experiences that matters.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

I had to struggle to come up with well-written, non-genre, female-author literature that have come out in the last twenty or so years and found it fairly embarrassing that the only one that came to mind is the one I've recommended. Similarly, in keeping up with this thread, I'm also looking for contemporaneous (give or take 20 years), well-written, non-genre works by female authors if such recommendations are to be had.

Lydia Davis is good here's one of her short stories picked at semi random:

Mother's Reaction to My Travel Plans

Gainesville! It's too bad your cousin is dead!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I honestly think the bolding of the names of books is worse than the fact no one reads.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

It's good for scanning threads to find mention of books you've read/want to discuss.

It's bad.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lmao if you somehow can't see that bolding the titles of books in posts is a blight on the world IMO.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Thats exactly my point, we revere those authors whose works still hold meaning to us generations after their publication. This is what makes them classics of literature, not their genre.

If you are writing expressly with the purpose of "wouldn't it be sick if rthere were dinosaurs in Chicago" then you work is less likely to endure the ages than someone who is writing to cpnvey a brutal image of the human condition IMO

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

Shakespeare was common trash and the only reason he's remembered now is that the common people actually liked his plays.

Actually shakespeare is remembered on account of him being one of the greatest writers ever, IMHO.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

At least 19th Century poets tried, modern poets are basically just trolls who wanted to be writers but failed, so they decided to start writing random poo poo.

Actually a lot of modern poetry is exceedingly beautiful and conveys things that would not be suited to prosaical form, IMHO.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Individul author threads wouldn't work because since I posted it in February or something the not genre fic thread has got 6 pages and in that time the old dresden files thread has been closed and a new one has been opened and it has 30 pages of posts.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

All Nines posted:

How modern are we talking? If there are any living poets who are actually good I haven't encountered them yet, so recommendations would be great.

Seamus Heaney is quite good and so are others.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Holy moly I just found out Seamus Heaney died last year

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hello I actually am pretentious and don't enjoy any of the books I say I do I just read and reread The Man Who Was Thurdsday.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Rime posted:

I thought this was the thread where we all wore black turtlenecks and caps whilst telling everyone else that their genre of reading material was lovely, and then pulling out our own lovely choices as an alternative. :allears:

Smoking Crow is objectively pretentious, I challenge you to write an essay of not less than 500 words examining his pretension from the point of view of an aging literary critic; who has just realized he wasted his entire life spouting pretentious bullshit about pretentious bullshit.

Agreed.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

tonytheshoes posted:

It surprises me that Jorge Luis Borges hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I picked up Collected Fictions a while back and it continues to blow my mind. His stories are like literary brain-teasers, with plenty of things to decipher, piece together and puzzle out for yourself.

If you're looking for a good place to start, I'd recommend the story The Garden of Forking Paths. Ostensibly, it's about a spy, but don't read anything else about it ahead of time, just jump in and discover the trippy mind-fuckery for yourself.

Borges' essays are all really well informed investigtions of interesting topics and occasionally he just makes up funny references to prove a point http://www.alamut.com/subj/artiface/language/johnWilkins.html

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The idea that you have to read bad stuff before you can read good stuff is so dumb.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think it would be possible to read The Trial and experience a lot of thoughts and emotions even if you hadn't read The Da Vinci Code

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

When I was a baby I read Redwall but now I am a grown man I don't have to grind out levsls on The Dresden Files.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

There are no good books that are easy to read.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Which is my entire point. You don't just start out reading Joyce. People read a lot of genre crap, and eventually some will move on to higher-grade crap.

Those who don't? Well, criticizing them over their choice of reading material isn't going to change that. And at least they're reading something.

Reductio ad absurdum is a valuable contribution to any discussion and is the mark of a well thought out position.

Err werll that's just a Strawman, and errr Occam's Razor says that you just begged the question checkmate motherfucker.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

inktvis posted:

Wouldn't be a bad idea for people to go back and take a look at the context of this post.

I actually truly believe it and wanted to express my opinion and just happened to do it at a time that makes it look like I was being sarcastic.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

You should constantly be struggling and striving to read, and if you actually enjoy the time you spend it is worthless.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

I genuinely don't get this snobbish attitude that most of this thread reeks of. Who cares if people read silly pulp for their own enjoyment? Are you that insecure about your own intelligence and taste in book? Its like the people who get off on these literary circle-jerks are the closeted republicans of the written word.

I am.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Every one of your posts in TBB is worthless.

I am sorry you feel that way, and I preferred your old avatar if you were the guy with the asparagus wearing sunglasses.IF not, I am merely sorry.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Name of the Rose is detective/mystery y and really good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The outisder and the plague by Albert Camus are basically the first absurdist novels and they are good. Generally you and everyone else should read MOscow to the end of the line (also called Moscow-Petushki) by Venedikt Erofeev because it is a prose poem about a man getting drunk on the train and it is really good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I just read INVISIBLE CITIES by ITALO CALVINO and it's very good but the fact everyone describes it as Marco Polo describing cities to Kublai Khan but actually he's talking about Venice the whole time makes it sound a lot dumber and worse than it is and also entirely misses the point.

Good book

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

lol at any online poll pretending to have any validity as those ballot boxes are entirely stuffable.

This post is insanely OOC.

Please don't typecast me. I also make boring white noise posts in this thread that make the asparagus av guy angry.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Read short things that are good. If you want vivid pictures then you should read Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino which doesn't really have a plot but is basically just beautiful descriptions of fantastical cities used to make philosophical points on the nature of knowledge and language and that sort of thing. Also try Fictions by Borges, a collection of short stories all loosely based around the nature of storytelling. Again, they tend not to have plots and are more explorations of concepts.

If you want something with a little more story going on the you should read THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY, A NIGHTMARE, by G. K. CHESTERTON it's short and good and while you can definitely enjoy it without necessarily thinking about what the point of it was, you can also think about that too.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

If you want something longer read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov I can guarantee you won't realise you've heard the plot somewhere else and the writing is all about establishing lovely vivid pictures in your brain.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

But it's not simple as that with him... He also planted seeds for existentialism with Notes from Underground, and I'm especially thinking about Brothers Karamazov which explores both 'sides' pretty well.

Existentialism and being really religious aren't mutually exclusive just look at Kierkegaard

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I bought What We Talk About When We Talk About Love because of people saying it was good earlier in the thread, and it's good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Astrofig posted:

ARE there versions that don't have those? That's good to know. I'll look for one of those then.

Couldn't you just not read the annotations in the annotated copy you have?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Do you mean like the 100% classics in just literature or for every subject like philosophy, history etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Earwicker posted:

While reading the Bible isn't what I'd call "fun" it is in fact incredibly helpful in understanding a lot of western literature and art in general given the constant references to Biblical characters and stories that have dominated said art for centuries.

But I do agree with you though that reading the entire western canon is kind of ridiculous. Not only due to length but due to what it leaves out. The bulk of it was created by a very narrow and elitist segment of the western societies from which the books come. That said, if that's how you want to spend your time here is Harold Bloom's western canon which is probably the stuffiest and most western take on it you can get.

I was going to say this seemed surprisingly concise for a Western canon then realised it's part 1