Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Is Proust's In Search of Lost Time a worthy endeavor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

There seems to be a lot of contention around Borges English translations on Amazon, specifically Andrew Hurley's work on "Collected Fictions". Does anyone have a preference here?

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Just finished Stoner and loved it. Beautifully written, and there was a subtle feeling of dread underneath everything, for me. I couldn't put it down.

I think I'm going to start Spring Snow or Kokoro next. Someone push me towards one of those two.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Just finished reading Kobo Abe's The Woman in the Dunes, from a recommendation somewhere deep in this thread, and I'm kinda in awe. He did a magnificent job at portraying desperation. There are some lines in this book that I probably should've soaked in a bit more, because he drops these profound thoughts in the middle, or the end, of what might be a more economical paragraph. I loved it, so thanks to whoever brought it up.

I think next up is Ryu Murakami's In the Miso Soup.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Mostly been lurking this thread for nearly a decade, jfc, but I’m reading Yu Hua’s To Live right now and it is fantastic, so thanks to however many of you recommended it.

Finished reading a version of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight which had the Middle English side-by-side with the translation and it owned so hard. If anyone has seen the recent Green Knight movie, is it good? I usually love the bullshit A24 puts out, so I assume it’s decent.

Also CestMoi could post more and I wouldn’t be mad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who do are the same people who enjoy MST3K.

People who enjoy rad poo poo, yes. MST3K weren’t watching the Gravity’s Rainbow of movies.