Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Peel posted:

I'm a big believer that a lot of people cheat themselves out of reading cool books because they get caught up in the myth that lit is all boring and 'pretentious' promoted by people who never got over high school. It's all about finding books relevant to your interests, then branching out from there once you've got the taste.

To be fair, demanding genre fic readers 'stop being loving children' and telling them to go back to their bad book threads :smug: doesn't help that.

I also don't think much of the modern literary fiction genre helps. What's the goonsensus on it?

Because of it, I think 'literature' to a lot of people is associated with navel gazing by privileged inter-war Europeans, or po-faced reflections on oh-so-topical issues. Not to mention the deluge of totally non autobiographical novels about western ~writers~ with conveniently crazy sex lives. You'd think the artistic relevance of troubled bourgeois academics, or writers writing about writers writing about writing, would be mined out by now. For all the precisely trained prose, a lot of literature-as-a-genre is all craft and no art. This stuff won't be remembered, but there's enough of it to perpetuate the myth and put people off.

(Yes, I know most genre stuff is no craft and no art)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Poutling posted:

From that one statement I can tell you haven't read much 'modern literary fiction'.

The last two lit-fic books I read were The Accursed (which I talked about further up the thread) and A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain which is about the BC Highway of Tears and unsolved murder of hundreds of First Nations women.

Smoking Crow posted:

What about The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach? That's a great literary novel that's about college baseball players. What about White Teeth by Zadie Smith? That's about regular people in London. You can't paint literature in one stroke.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming all or even most lit fic is bad. I'm saying that a lot of trash also gets published and marketed as 'literary' and that it can start putting people off - I admit, myself included - before we get to any real literature .