Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Did Gogol's The Portrait have any effect on Oscar Wilde and The Picture of Dorian Gray? Maybe it's just a superficial shared element, the creepy painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm struggling a little with Robin Buss's translation of The Count of Monte Cristo. His English is just too plain and modern for me, to the point of being somewhat difficult to pay attention to at times.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I read The Crying of Lot 49 today. It felt very fresh in its style despite its age. The plot summary of the stage play was a particular highlight.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I read Lolita. The second part went in many directions that I didn't all find compelling. I did appreciate the book as a glimpse of life in postwar America, though the author speaks of such reading as "childish" in the afterword. The dialogues from the school head master were incredibly hilarious, though they do feel a little out of place.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 26, 2021

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Originality in writing: does it exist?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is Hermanm Hesse good or just liked by pretentious people? I finished Narcissus and Goldmund and it turned out to be one of those books that would have completely rocked my world had I read it at a younger age, but as it stands is just good.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I cannot imagine being someone who wasn't highly aware of all the most major historical events from the age of 16 onwards.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

CestMoi posted:

by 16 i got really obsessed with the concept of most major historical events and tried to channel them constantly

I know you're joking but when I was growing up I was spending a lot of time being very upset and soul-searching over historical atrocities.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

James Joyce posted:

Every step brought him nearer to London, farther from his own sober inartistic life. A light began to tremble on the horizon of his mind. He was not so old—thirty-two. His temperament might be said to be just at the point of maturity. There were so many different moods and impressions that he wished to express in verse. He felt them within him. He tried to weigh his soul to see if it was a poet’s soul. Melancholy was the dominant note of his temperament, he thought, but it was a melancholy tempered by recurrences of faith and resignation and simple joy. If he could give expression to it in a book of poems perhaps men would listen. He would never be popular: he saw that. He could not sway the crowd but he might appeal to a little circle of kindred minds. The English critics, perhaps, would recognize him as one of the Celtic school by reason of the melancholy tone of his poems; besides that, he would put in allusions. He began to invent sentences and phrases from the notices which his book would get. Mr Chandler has the gift of easy and graceful verse…. A wistful sadness pervades these poems…. The Celtic note. It was a pity his name was not more Irish-looking. Perhaps it would be better to insert his mother’s name before the surname: Thomas Malone Chandler, or better still: T. Malone Chandler. He would speak to Gallaher about it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is anyone familiar with The Seven Basic Plots? I keep running into people who hype it up.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Briggs War and Peace isn't bad, but it's very, very liberal. I recommend the Oxford World Classics edition of the classic Maude translation, which was endorsed by Tolstoy himself; this version is judiciously revised by Amy Mandelker. Aside from that one, I also really like the Ann Dunnigan translation, published by Signet.

Politically, or in terms of textual faithfulness?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Read some Balzac, such as Père Goriot. You can see a line of descent to Dostoevsky in the monologues.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Rings of Saturn is marvellous. Is there anything else like it?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Seeing people bring up the lack of phones in movies, have any authors handled the invention of the smartphone artfully yet?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Philip Roth really caught my breath with Goodbye, Columbus. Makes me much more eager than I was earlier to read his later work. The lightbulb monologue in particular gives me a reason to go back and give Death of a Salesman another look. I'm reading the first short story in the volume and I bet they're all gonna be great.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
No, it’s my very first of his.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Wouldn't Dostoevsky have been taking that from his own life-changing brush with the bullet?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What’s the worst experience you’ve had with an award-winner? (Or just a general feeling that the book in no way deserved that prize) The Sellout won a Booker, started out strong, then stopped having anything funny or worthwhile to say a third of the way through. Managed to make a black guy keeping a slave boring.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren marks the first time I've read a piece of serious fiction longer than 500 pages in years. It did well to ease me into the literary groove, rich with allusion and contemplation. Warren seems both critical and affectionate towards the South, depicting it both as having deep wells of history, beauty and tradition and as being full of corrupt backwardness. It's described as a book about Huey Long's fictional counterpoint, but the protagonist Jack Burden is the heart of the story, far more so than Nick is in The Great Gatsby. The lengthy digression telling of the life of his 19th century ancestor on its own would make a tremendous short story. I was quite entertained in the end by the editor's note to the new edition, which is quite critical of Warren's original editor for being totally insensitive to theme and subtext.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
V. getting very detailed in recounting the process of nasal plastic surgery is truthfully the most grotesque I've seen a published novel get.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I regret to reveal that there is Pynchon filk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKgauv6CH0s

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finished Pynchon's V. after two weeks of reading. I don't have anything particularly intelligent to say about its ideas or themes, but it's a titanic book. Something about the mad nightmare of modern civilization. It did surprise me with how serious it managed to get, when Lot 49 and the first 270 pages of this trained me to think of Pynchon as a very silly writer. I can scarcely imagine what Gravity's Rainbow will be like, if it's considered to be an even greater achievement.

One thing to note is that there are two sieges in the novel, which put me in the mind of Victorian siege fiction. I occasionally see vague references to such a genre's existence, but have been unable to find any hard substantiation or evidence, with the most famous clear cut example of such a story, The Siege of Khrishnapur, having been written long after V. itself. I wonder if such books were written about the international settlement in Peking during the Boxer Rebellion?

FPyat fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 30, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The dumber conversations I see on this site are still rather elevated compared to what I find in the wider world of social media and in-person literary dialogue.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
My mother's a teacher of English translation, so I grew up with all kinds of classics and 20th century American lit on the shelves. She's a bit clueless when it comes to any intellectual subject that isn't literature, poetry, or language, which I guess created a gap in my ability to talk about what I read with her. I do hope I get to share my thoughts on Middlemarch with her, though.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I just associate Raffles with the founder of Singapore, so it wouldn't stand out as a name for me.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I saw that CineD argument you had. Genius luminary thought compared to the kinds of ideas about art people have confronted me with on other sites.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
This morning I got into a tussle with people who think the main character needs to be a moral person in order to be able to engage the audience's sympathy. I wish that thinking artifice and difficulty are not desirable traits was the worst opinion on fiction I ran into.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I’ve seen some tremendous bursts of fury when I suggested to people that they could benefit from expanding the pool of books they read from outside flavor of the month bestsellers. “You can’t go around telling people they’re wrong to do what they enjoy. What is wrong with you?”

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I am somewhat intrigued by the argument that the novel as a form is inimical to tragedy, though I hesitate to wholly embrace it.

Terry Eagleton posted:

A tragic theatre bound up with the despotic absolutism, courtly intrigue, traditional feuds, rigid laws of kinship, codes of honour, cosmic-world-views and faith in destiny gives way to the more rational, hopeful, realist, pragmatic ideologies of the middle class. What rules now is less fate than human agency … The public realm of tragedy, with its high-pitched rhetoric and fateful economy, is abandoned for the privately consumed, more expansive, ironic, everyday language of prose fiction. And this … is certainly a loss: some critics, as Henri Peyre suggests, blame the death of tragedy on the novel, which “captured the essentials of tragic emotion, while diluting and often cheapening it.”

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's from his book Sweet Violence, which I am now interested in reading after seeing it quoted. I did indeed find the quote within a post by Adam Roberts built around
the thought that a novel might have to craft an entire society in decline and fall to express the tragic mode. https://medium.com/adams-notebook/some-dystopian-thoughts-454fa9665cb3

FPyat fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 21, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
When I hear the word entertainment, I reach for my gun.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It appears that Coatzee’s new novella The Pole is about a man from Eastern Europe, not an upright cylinder.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't go in for P&V myself, but a Russian Dostoevsky-lover did tell me about this video where they're evaluated favorably compared to Barnett and Hogarth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6thCyertFQ

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
How’s The Gambler? People seem to deem it a lesser novel of his.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I need help understanding what is meant when an artwork is critiqued as being "sentimental." I'll see a work that affected me strongly be praised for not being burdened with sentimentality, so it doesn't seem to mean being an emotionless vulcan. On the other hand, it doesn't quite appear to be criticizing schmaltzy or cheap emotionality, but some deeper and more serious disagreement about the nature of feeling.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I see Primo Levi's Auschwitz memoir being praised as containing not a hint of sentimentality. Which I guess is the case where it makes the most sense to me, where honestly depicting life in the camp will express far more than waxing lyrical about pain and misery possibly could.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

ThePopeOfFun posted:

James Baldwin gave the best definition of sentimentality in his essay (click the link to the .pdf) Everybody's Protest Novel. Like all Baldwin's work, the essay hits just as hard today because we have the same problems and movies like The Green Book routinely take home Oscars. It's a genius essay.

That’s great, thanks.

I guess a big tension point I see in sentimentalism is whether Dickens was its exemplar.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was not expecting the adenoid attack to come this early in the book. I assume it's a tribute to 1958's The Blob, with a few other B-movies mixed in.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I genuinely prefer Calvino’s Cosmicomics to Borges, though they’re a mite bit less cerebral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Sometimes people freak out when I tell them that there are authors who don’t use quotation marks. A few of them become outright angry.

quote:

Yeah, 'art' authors tend to get famous for a while. Bit of a flash in the pan though. And most of us poor folk don't really care about them. They're for rich people, and their books sit unread in libraries. Books that it's more important to own than actual read.

Meanwhile pulp fiction is what gets actually read, and authors like K. A. Applegate and J.K Rowling influenced generations.

I didn't stutter. If an author is writing without quotations marks, either it's a lovely translation from another language that does not natively use quotation marks... or it's a bad book. Probably some sort of 'anti-genra'. Avente-guard and deliberately incomprehensible. Written for rich people and people with degrees in English Lit.

And there's nothing wrong with people with degrees in English Lit, but most of them don't exactly have plebeian tastes, and if you're tastes aren't plebeian, I'm really not only not interested, but vaguely suspicious that they they were chosen specifically to be contrarian and anti-popular.

I read plebeian novels about the dramatic struggles of unreal people in unreal worlds. Mysteries, adventures, dramas.