Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you'll find he's quite based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

finished V, it was a really wild ride. that entire deal leading up to the actress' death was fascinating, the whole imagery of her and victoria performing under mirrors felt vivid, vivid like the plastic surgery scene but in a way where my eyes actually wanted to be on the paper hahaha. cool stuff Pynch i will check you out again another day.

that was such a monolith to read. i haven't ever that many pages, 540 or so, bound to a single
book. and i'll read em all again someday cuz V is definitely that kind of book. gonna be sticking to novellas for a bit now just to cool off from being with one work for so long. went through the first two chapters of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde and it's a light breeze, enjoying the mystery through Utterson's eyes. lol though this edition i grabbed off the street has three different intros and the third one is like thirty-five pages long. goddamn! why not an outro?

in conclusion, reading is cool

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

my god it's nearly twice the size. and my god against the day IS twice the size. that better be a good loving book

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mdemone posted:

Good news, it's actually a great loving book

better save it for last then, i know people here have middling thoughts on his other works like Vineland and such

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

now that i think about it i may as well read Pynchon in the order he wrote his works since i already started with V and plan on Crying of Lot 49 next

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

You'll need to dip into Slow Learner between books if you do that.

short stories style Pynchon sounds cool. i'm game

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

blue squares posted:

Maybe I’ll skip the rest of the book. Or just keep reading it one section after another for a couple years haha. I’ve read 49, GR, IV, and M&D. I wanna do a full read of his bibliography but I’m stuck on book 1 haha

if you skip it youre going to miss out on some ridiculously poignant sections. i came out the end very satisfied even though there's good chunks i didn't fully connect the dots on. that's okay, a lot of the fun is figuring out why all the characters in a room are particularly special and why, but also why there's not ever enough text to fully do that, which the book touches on quite coolly (and i would reference but just turned it back in)

did the profane sewer bit happen yet? if it did, you didnt think that was badass or what

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i just said this deal about novellas but the library didnt have his short stories or Crying, or any of the things i've been wanting or recommended to read... but they did have Franzen's The Corrections... :D

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i finished the short stories that came bundled with Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. robert wrote some hot trash to be sure while doing serials and its inclusion is funny cuz while they usually have cool ideas, they always sort of fall over limp in the end. but there's a couple of stories here real excellent, A Lodging for the Night and Markheim. they're both about lowlives and both culminate in philosophical moral debates, and stevenson really puts in the extra effort in the latter's prose to really sell the time dilation so unique to books as a medium. check this passage out:

quote:

From these fear-stricken rovings, Markheim's eyes returned to the body of his victim, where it lay both humped and sprawling, incredibly small and strangely meaner than in life. In these poor, miserly clothes, in that ungainly attitude, the dealer lay like so much sawdust. Markheim had feared to see it, and, lo! it was nothing. And yet, as he gazed, this bundle of old clothes and pool of blood began to find eloquent voices. There it must lie; there was none to work the cunning hinges or direct the miracle of locomotion - there it must lie till it was found. Found! ay, and then? Then would this dead flesh lift up a cry that would ring over England, and fill the world with the echoes of pursuit. Ay, dead or not, this was still the enemy. "Time was that when the brains were out," he thought; and the first word struck into his mind. Time, now that the deed was accomplished - time, which had closed for the victim, had become instant and momentous for the slayer.

i think it's cool stuff. imo these two short stories were just as good if not moreso than Dr Jekyll. and even in the poorer stories stevenson still offers cool ideas like young men with lost ways drawing cards to determine who would kill and who would die and the reader re-identifying reoccurring characters through new POVs, etc but they still run flat in the end. The Bodysnatcher was interesting. won't be commenting on Thrawn Janet.

o ya and this guy wrote Treasure Island

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

about halfway through The Corrections and this poo poo is hard to put down. i love and despise this family lmao

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

yea based on this thread i assumed i'd toss it early but naaaahhhh it's extremely good and very uncomfortable in a way that is also extremely good. prose feels precise but not immune to digressions which is my favorite poo poo lately (heavily enjoyed in V). the characters are vibrant and alive and filled with complexities that don't really drat anyone in particular. i cant speak for Franzen's other work nor the stupid mouth he loves to run, but The Corrections is drat fine

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mdemone posted:

a serious novel from a stupid man.

one of the books protagonists steals pounds of fish through his jacket that slide down and melt into his dick while he gets relentlessly chatted by the husband of his boss who's children draw crayons on lovely hollywood scripts of nothin but tits n rear end

Carthag Tuek posted:

:wrong: imo their complexities do drat them (possibly except as previously mentioned itt, the under-developed Denise, which i might misremember, but everyone else sucks a lot). when it came out, i hadnt read anything with such a wealth of unlikeable characters. i like the book for that

i'll have to get back to you on this once i've finished but so far the book's perspectives that really do drat a particular character are written from another character's view with reason for disdain. of course, i'm not trying to say i'm sitting here reading about the way these people are screwed up and thinking theyre still a nice family or anything. theyre all uniquely terrible in pretty identifiable, grounded ways that remind me of my own upbringing hahaha. i enjoy seeing them all peeled back, though i'll be upset if denise's layer isn't satisfying like you suggest

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

their actions are terrible--it's kinda fun in a sadistic way to see how al's parenting specifically turned out his three trouble kids. i found it especially poignant how much gary worried his mom hated his life the most: he, the one he realizes most mirrors hers

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i mean u laugh but that same character's whole deal is built around sucking off anti-capitalist theory, blowing his comfy gig up over nothing, mooching money off others, basically just life long gently caress-you-dadism. he's great

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

fridge corn posted:

I did generally like The Corrections when I read it and thought it was good, however I was unfortunately duped into reading other Franzen books which are just complete dogshit

which one were they? winning the national book award obviously broke his mind but surely his debut can't be too bad

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

funny you mention color, i like the flow of black -> blood (red) -> orange -> back to red -> yellow -> black again

that's pretty dope. he used color to good effect here

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

any 21st century lit heads gonna read botm? finished franzen so im wide open

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ok botm is really bad so i dont recommend it. anyway while at the library printing off proof im crazy i came home with two Borges. i intended on just Ficciones but didn't realize how thin it was so swiped The Aleph and Other Stories as well :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

speaking of nabokov i now understand why he couldnt bring himself to talk poo poo about borges. thats cause borges is a motherfucking master. even when rereading and discovering or making new connections do i realize the depths go so much deeper in his short fiction. Ficciones is so good. ive read up to Garden of Forking Paths and i'm blown away by not just each story's quality but the little connections they share, pyramids and mirrors and this idea of duplicity played out in different ways like The Circular Ruins guy not just creating but being created (and i liked him crawling and bleeding to his cozy stone womb too) or, my favorite one so far, Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote, tackling the idea in literature and lifestyle. this one in particular is so drat fascinating, i feel like i could walk around as long as i'd like thinking about it and still not run out of threads. it's interesting how duplicity is sort of described in dark light in the other stories but this one in particular reveres menard, makes him such an admirable and interesting author. but i suppose he too is a reflection

gonna return Aleph without reading for now cuz yea you guys weren't kidding, these books widths are deceiving. and i want to save Aleph for another time knowing i'll be set...