Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

blue squares posted:

Watching you guys make fun of fantasy is like listening to the band kids make fun of the anime club

Must have been harsh times for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

i was a band kid

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Heath posted:

The one fantasy author I really enjoy is Steven Brust, who uses a lot of the fantasy tropes (like "calling a rabbit a smreep" or whatever, which he is super super guilty of.) He has an elaborate "magic system," but he uses it in service of the narrative in a way that I think most fantasy authors wish they could. In his world there are two(ish) schools of magic, sorcery and witchcraft. Sorcery is available to everyone who lives in this particular region and powers everything from day to day things like lighting and personal security to lobbing fireballs at some rear end in a top hat that is attacking you. Witchcraft is generally seen as vulgar, time intensive and is associated specifically with a reviled group of people, so in the scope of the story it has personal identity associations for the main character as well as being an excuse to counterbalance the practical sorcery with the mystical witchery, since there are some things sorcery can't do or that witchcraft is better suited for. It works pretty well in that context, in my opinion, and I generally hate fantasy novels. He works what basically amounts to a video game class system into his world in a way that feels natural. It helps too that Brust is good at writing dialog and giving his main character an entertaining inner monologue.

This post in no way constitutes a recommendation that anyone read a fantasy novel. Consult your doctor prior to use.

jesus christ smh

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I read Aquarium. It was cute. That middle bit was difficult to read tho.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

my favourite anime is bobs burgers

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think gg&s invites a lot of criticism on itself for being overly simplistic and perhaps making a few too many assumptions however Ian Morris wrote a book called Why the West Rules for Now largely about the same topic and is much more academically grounded and a lot of his findings are congruent with diamonds arguments so whatev

In other news I just finished A Grain of Wheat which was cool and good imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ive just started a Neil gaiman book :ohdear:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

blue squares posted:

pls Mr. Squishy I have no real friends

I'll be your friend

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I should probably read more hemmingway

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I never read the same author back to back i get tired really easily of the same style and voice and never really give the second book a chance. I burned out on hemmingway hard that way and why I haven't read anything of his in like 10 years 😪

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

This Neil gaiman book is not very good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Are you often in a bad moon? 🌚

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

finished American Gods and thank god, I'll not be reading any more of gaiman

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

the only thing interesting about it was how clearly gaiman was writing out comic book scenes in prose.

Yeah this is exactly what I felt execpt for the finding it interesting part

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bandiet posted:

Why are we talking about Neil Gaiman in the lit thread anyway, a man who exclusively writes Fantasy?

Because I was recommended him earnestly by someone I trust and now i am hurt and betrayed and needed somewhere to bitch

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I enjoyed Wolf in White Van for the most part but there was something missing for me but idk what it was exactly

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper I have a question pertaining to Aquarium and am curious for your opinion (or anyone's for that matter)

I question the reliability of the narrator. Do you believe this is intentional?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Eh I see no reason to be suspicious of her accuracy. The events she describes are extreme, but that is kind of the point.

I agree for the most part, but still find it strange to frame the narration as such when it doesn't seem to add anything to the story when taken at face value. Equally extraordinary are the actions of the main character in the face of the extreme events as described, surely beyond the capabilities of most 12 year olds to act with such singular determination that perhaps things have been embellished somewhat. I dont think it adds much to think of the narration as unreliable but still it was something I found slightly distracting and had stuck in my mind since reading it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Beyond sane knolls posted:

While reading, did you question the mother's narrative of her own childhood?

Yeah, of course

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

At Swim-Two-Birds is probably the maddest thing I've read in a long time

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Pls post in this thread when you read the last page about how it's the best last page in the history of literature tia

Easily my best book of the year so far

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

blue squares posted:

the year 1939?

It was a good year

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

aquarium is rly good im trying to get the gf to read it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pale fire is pretty fwiggen wacky

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I didn't particularly like On the Road. I felt perhaps it's poignancy has faded with age and doesn't survive well purely on literary merit but what do I know

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I thoroughly enjoyed the Brothers K although I can't really tell you why. When it ended I felt like it was just getting started

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Just started Mason & Dixon and gently caress me it's a bit dense. Im having fun reading Dixon's dialogue in his geordie accent though 😯

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

That and V are the only ones I have left from Pynchon. I was planning on reading it last because I have heard good things about it and want to savor what may be the last new material by him I will read.

This is my first foray into the wonderful world of Pynchon 😌

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mason & Dixon is cool although not much happens. The language is excellent and its pretty funny too. Im about 25% through it atm

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

uh... who are you talking to?

wrong account blue squares

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Schmischmenjamin posted:

might as well have skipped the quote and addressed this toward all participants in this thread

im very sufferable thank you very much

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Wtf is the canon

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Im still reading Mason & Dixon and still nothing has happened

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think i want to read infinite jest even less now

Hell that not reading article was spot on!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Abalieno posted:

I've read about 100 pages of The Recognitions before shelving it. It's good and with a nice sense of humor, but a bit dull. I'll return to it at some point.

IJ is built as a multitude of small stories that manage to find some unifying vision. It's something exclusive of DFW, and you could take the book and deconstruct it in many smaller, autonomous chunks. But it's only when they are unified that they build something else entirely that is far more than the just sum of the parts. And that's exactly what failed with The Pale King: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/much-little-history-david-foster-wallaces-pale-king/#!

I also absolutely love The Broom of the System, even if it's not big, and I consider some of the best Wallace the first 100 pages of his book on the mathematical infinite. I absolutely worship Wallace in all forms, short and long. My favorite writer by far, and that was before Infinite jest was even published.

Should I really say again that I don't like length for length sake? There's something that is exclusive of big books that I enjoy, it's not something you find in EVERY big book. I've listed big books that legitimately caught my attention: Infinite Jest, The Dying Grass, Bottom's Dream, Parallel Stores, The Man Without Qualities, The Tunnel, 2666, 1Q84, or Neal Stephenson stuff. But that's pretty much it (outside of genre fiction). I certainly don't have in my reading queue Clarissa or Vanity Fair or A Little Life. There is something that links those book that isn't "length", all those big books I've listed are widely considered masterpieces, because the publishing industry and the market itself encourage shorter, accessible stuff, and that means that when a big book comes out chances are it deserved being the exception. You don't get a 1000 pages book published unless you convince someone it's really, really good. Nor a writer writes 500k words without truly committing himself as a form of earnest passion. That dedication has my sincere respect, and it earns my attention. Effort doesn't equal quality, but it certainly improves the chance of it. You need an unnatural drive in order to achieve certain things, and when I pick up a book, knowing there are millions of other books out there, I crave for exceptionality, for something not common. When I buy (and eventually read) a book I can afford looking not just at narrow but deep, or wide but shallow. I can have wide AND deep. Because in the history of literature there are such things. There are complete madmen as Arno Schmidt or David Foster Wallace who threw their lives at literature, and they deserve to be read because they happen very rarely, and going forward there are going to be less and less of them.

I did buy this, though.

I still haven't read it, but it's another big, playful book I eventually expect to enjoy.

Your posts, like the books you read, could probably be a lot shorter without suffering content

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I finally finished Mason & Dixon

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I read Aquarium and agree that it is a very good book. Im trying to get my gf to read it but I'm afraid it might break her 😌

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Good on ya Bobby D

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Im glad bob Dylan won the Nobel prize and im even gladder they'res ppl mad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Is cormac mccarthy even Nobel worthy? I've read the road and it was a bit meh