Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Baka-nin posted:

There was a case where the Mughal Emperor Akbar, had a house filled with very young children and forbid anyone to speak in their presence or show them writing in order to discover humanities natural language. The results were not what he had hoped for.

What happened? I can't find any info through google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Suggestions for next month's BOTM?

Windeye by Brian Evenson

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Mel in The Vegetarian thread you showed some interest in Literary fantasy, I made a post in the fantasy thread about just that, ( I also got told off for very mildly suggesting that Terry Pratchett wasn't as a good as Jane Austen).

fez_machine posted:

If you want Literary fantasy here are a few suggestions (beyond this anything published by the Fantasy Masterworks imprint is a good starting point):

Anything by John Crowley, but especially Little, Big (one of Harold Bloom's faves) and Aegypt.

Most things by Lucius Shepard, but especially The Dragon Griaule (reflections on the creative process with a GIANT DRAGON).

The Vergil Magus, Pellegrine and Limekiller Series by Avram Davidson, dense and allusive fantasy.

People LOVE The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Virconium by M. John Harris is widely respected.

The Neveryon series by Samuel Delany, post-modernist/structuralist philosophy/the aids crisis filtered through a sword and sorcery setting.

Also read Bridge of Birds.

You might like "The Slovo Stove" by Avram Davidson if you want a Magical Realist emphasis.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has anyone else ever read Richard Powers? He is one of my favorite authors and its interesting because his writing is probably the closest I have ever seen to the big red line between sci fi and literature.

These look really interesting, I'm going to check them out.

I posted that list in here because no one should ever have to go back into The Vegetarian thread again.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Runaway Horses was a drat good book, and boy do I have no idea what books 3 and 4 could involve.

Also Magda Szabó is real good. Reading Katalin Street and it reminds me of To the Lighthouse a lot.

Hungary has some drat good authors. Laszlo K, Szabo, Esterházy, Szerb, Krúdy, Márai. Any others people recommend?

Jeno Rejto, or P. Howard, The Hungarian Wodehouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jen%C5%91_Rejt%C5%91

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

sing to me, o muse, of the man with the x-factor

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

derp posted:

I've been wanting to read some history lately, because I'm uneducated. Any subject other than American history. But I want stuff with top notch prose. Any standouts in the non-fiction / world history area that shouldn't be missed? The more focused and obscure the better.

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Gibbons is often wrong but it's got sick burns aplenty

Memoirs from Beyond The Grave is lovely

John Mchphee is great but it's American history

If you want obscure micro-histories Tim Robinson's Stones of Arran books are fantastic

Ian Sinclair if you want eliptical walking histories of London.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vogler posted:

What does this thread recommend re: horror? I think the genre got great potential but I'm always disappointed in what I read. The only exception in recent years is the terrific Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin.

Brian Evenson's work, particularly his short stories.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

OscarDiggs posted:

Can anyone recommend something good and interesting to read, but that is also fun? My last few Lit books have all been depressing and Russian and Id like to buck the trend.

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

cebrail posted:

What's some good Russian literature from the 20th century? I haven't read anything newer than Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

A new translation of Vasily Grossman's Stalingrad came out recently.

Maybe Nadezhda Mandelstam who I haven't read but have heard good things about.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

shirunei posted:

Hello, so I've only ever read web serials, science fiction, and fantasy. If I wanted to dip my tow into this real lit thing what would be considered the kiddies pool? I don't want to overload my mind right off the bat obvs

There's a few options you can follow for an easy path from SF/Fantasy to literature:

1. You can read literary work from within those genres. I made a bigass list here which might be a good start.

2. You can read works of literature that were meant to be accessible: Jane Austen, Victor Hugo, Irish Murdoch, Hemingway, Swift, Graham Greene, Dickens, Shakespeare, Rudyard Kipling, Charles Portis, Zola, most classical literature.

3. You can read sub-literary works that while not all the way are still better than what you'll get in SF/Fantasy: Dumas, Patrick O'Brien, Poe, Greene's entertainments, John Le Carre, Dashiell Hammet, etc. etc. There's thousands of books to choose from here. A great way to find them is to read interviews of your favourite genre authors and note their faves and influences who don't write in the genre.

Just remember if you don't like something classified as literature that's a fair response, put it down, and find something else you do like. There's a challenge to this stuff but it shouldn't be like eating gruel.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 20, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

why isnt stanislaw lem on your big list though, thats the most obvious one

honestly? I haven't read enough Lem to remember him when I was making the list.

Coincidentally, his name did come up in an unrelated context just before I read this post and I was like yeah I should have put Lem in.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ulvir posted:

has anyone in the lit thread read anything of Antal Szerb? there’s a norwegian translation of Journey by moonlight out and it sounds intriguing

I've read it and liked it. Didn't consider my time wasted.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Most folks seem to know it from the musical, anyone here read Les Miserables? I don't mind the long expositions on history and stuff, it actually spurred me on to read more about modern French history and politics, but it's such a long book that I did wander off after a time. I'm thinking I'll try to finish it now. I'll have to start over, though. I read it years ago.

I'll always remember my first time starting it and being confused because the beginning is wholly centered on the Bishop and he's a very charismatic and interesting figure, and then he's gone and now it's Jean Valjean's story. I don't dislike Valjean or anything, it was just jarring at the time.

It's good! Skip the Waterloo section though, it's much less interesting than the history of Paris' sewers and you can always come back to it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CestMoi posted:

by 16 i got really obsessed with the concept of most major historical events and tried to channel them constantly

developing prodromal schizophrenia from exposure to the American education system

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Proust Malone posted:

very short ones that use the prose in a deliberate fashion to show the emotional condition of the characters.

derp posted:

lydia davis

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FPyat posted:

Is anyone familiar with The Seven Basic Plots? I keep running into people who hype it up.

You'll learn more about how to write from Exercises in Style

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
People fell in love with these books even with flawed translation so it doesn't matter to me too much.

The worst translations are those that render a great book unreadable and there's more than a few of those.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I read interviews from authors I like. Usually if I like what they write I'll like what they read and most interviews have a couple of recs tossed in here and there.

If a book you like was published by a small press they probably only have one editor making the decisions so you might share similar taste.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Gonna try and read more short stories this year, any recommendations for collections to read? I've already read Ficciones, all of Poe, Salinger, and a smattering of Tolstoy. I've just picked up Hawthorne, Gogol, and Maupassant to start.

Flannery O'Connor, The Moon in its Flight by Gilbert Sorrentino, James Purdy, O Henry (he's too influential ignore), similarly Saki.

Also Kipling and Twain if only to remind you they exist and are very good even if very obvious.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 3, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The only ocean novel more gay than Moby Dick is Billy Budd

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

This is the literature thread, please try to elevate your thinking beyond that of a middle school aged child who labels anything with two men in it "gay"

No, it's the literal century of queer literary criticism and identification with the novella that makes Billy Budd 'gay'

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Good reads rating

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I should read more Pynchon. Gave up on Gravity’s Rainbow pretty early, but I think I might dig other stuff.

Against The Day is very readable and while it takes awhile to get there is full of relatable generational family drama

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
started reading Vikram Seth's Golden Gate which I like and so decided to read the Charles Johnston translation of Eugene Onegin which served as Seth's model. It's pretty fun so far although apparently the Falen translation is a little better written (I've noticed some moments where Homer nods in Johnston).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
continuing to read verse novels

reading Robert Browning's The Ring and The Book (which is good and you can see why it revived his reputation). Prefigures a lot of true crime "look at this gnarly crime I discovered" stuff, including I went there and walked in the tracks of the victim.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

mdemone posted:

I have a Dalkey Archive copy with the voices in different colors like Faulkner always wanted. It's intimidating as hell.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Speaking of Mann, any opinions on Doctor Faustus? I picked up a copy of it and Death in Venice recently and trying to decide which to read first, I'm leaning towards Faustus purely for love of Goethe's work which I can compare and contrast while reading Mann's.

Faustus depends on how much you enjoy music theory, but the core relationship is very powerful.

Death in Venice is my least favourite Mann. Feels like it was overvalued for depicting homosexual desire when that was hard to get. Never mind that desire being paedophilic.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I had someone get insanely tilted at me for saying the Da Vinci Code was bad in 2006, so it's always been around

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

McSpankWich posted:

This got lost in the middle of whatever that all just was and I didn't hear any response to it re: Russian Literary Masterworks. Has anyone read Pasternak that can compare it to the others?

Dr Zhivago's very positive reception is tied up with cold war politics. The earlier Russians are unbeatable.

Highly recommend Eugene Onegin as an accessible work of classical Russian lit that's stood the test of time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lobster Henry posted:

This is pretty woolly, but imo there is some basic warmth and humanism about The Big Lebowski that Pynchon for the most part lacks. Maybe it’s even just at the level of performances and production, but it is there.

It’s not that Pynchon isn’t capable of moments of human resonance. Off the top of my head I can think of the banana breakfast at the very start of GR, or the vision of people praying in church all over England, or various moments of down-and-out paranoid desolation. But the other stuff distracts from it too much. It’s just… games, at great length. Hundreds of pages of Slothrop dodging custard pies and having sex with interchangeable teen-boy-fantasy women with hilarious names and, like, that poo poo is tedious to me.

Anyway! I’m midway through Augustus and so far it’s a very enjoyable political thriller and examination of how power corrupts (have you heard?). I like Shakespeare’s Roman plays and I like high-level backstabbing so this is my sort of thing. It’s also fascinatingly different in style and subject matter from Butcher’s Crossing. I’d never have guessed it was the same writer.

If you want basic warmth and humanism from pynchon, then it's there in mason and dixon and against the day.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its consumption without sustenance.

A spiritual diet of dirt and rot

Rabbit Starvation

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Don Quixote or the original hikikomori

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
ahh Moby Dick, the first Kaiju

drrockso20 posted:

It's funny when you think about it that Moby Dick(which The Whale God is sort of an adaptation of) is one of the prototypes for the Kaiju genre and that doesn't really get talked about as often as you'd think(compared to say how Frankenstein gets brought up all the time as the first piece of science fiction)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closet_drama

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Against the day is far less disorientating up front

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ulvir posted:

i started with Stoner today, its decent enough. realism is a good change of pace after a whole bunch of Fosse, Bolaño etc the last few months

change of pace?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ras Het posted:

I always thought Stoner was a Cormac McCarthy style blood and guts book by the people who talk about it.

I just finished the 1100 page Fernando Pessoa biography which was insanely good

You're thinking of one of John Williams's other books, Butcher's Crossing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's important to note that Wolfe has a pretty steep decline in his late period (and as an ageing conservative Catholic gets pretty Fox News poisoned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

When I was growing up and reading Greek literature, I used to always hear "well, Greek Heroes aren't exactly what we'd call heroes." And, indeed, maybe they aren't what we'd call heroes, but that's only because the values we prize are so different from Ancient Greece's. These were heroes to the Greeks, as deserving of admiration as our heroes are. Although there were multiple currents running through Greece even back then. I suppose my understanding has been largely shaped by Nietzsche's idea that all the Greek values were ruined by Socrates and Christianity.

But yeah, as I go through the works of Sophocles, I have a few books analyzing Sophocles that I've really enjoyed reading for the light they shed on how differently Greeks thought of heroism than we do.

https://archive.org/details/sophoclesstudyof0000whit

It's just so interesting to me because the dichotomy here between Ajaz and Odysseus would be reversed in any modern story. Odysseus with his reasonableness and pity, would always be the superior hero to a prideful mdman like Ajax.

I mean Odysseus survived in popular memory way longer than Ajax. He had plenty of fans in the classical period. The Aenid isn't based on the legends of Ajax.