Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Stravinsky posted:

Yes please do. If the discussion isnt going on then start it. Even if you feel like your hanging out in the wind you at least brought attention to whatever your talking about. Hence why I never shut up about the blind owl.

Because of your thread on that Iranian guy I bought Three Drops of Blood and should be reading it in the next couple of weeks. So, not for nothing at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Count Chocula posted:

I'm an English major, studied Joyce and Dante. It's hard for people here to even talk about that. I thought the Airport Fiction and formulaic sci-fi threads were mocking bad books, but they're serious.

I like fantasy - Lord Dunsany, Moorcock - when it's weird and surreal and strange. Most 'fantasy' post-Tolkien is masturbatory material for spreadsheet math nerds. People in those threads ironically praise 'consistent magic systems' like it's important. Anything fantastic like Flann O'Brian would break their brains.

Same with sci-fi. It's discussions of boring space opera and not New Wave weirdness.

Fine literature is great and enjoyable, but sometimes you just want a hotdog instead of a steak.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Shibawanko posted:

Good science fiction exists: Stanislaw Lem.

Alfred Bester.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

JackKnight posted:

I agree, but lately I have just wanted to zone out. Reading books such as those mentioned isn't a relaxing experience (for me) because it takes a lot of conscious focus to follow the language constructs and terminologies I never use in real life. Were I to read Shakespeare now, I would miss half of the wit the first time around, so I would have to read it twice or more to fully understand it. I agree I should know these books, but I am a truck driver. If I started quoting shakespeare all the sudden, people would look at me funny. :-)

What I like to do is to read multiple books at the same time, so you could read one which requires more focus to understand and appreciate the text and another for turning your brain off.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Lawrence Durrell wrote a quartet of novels of which I've read the first. Its plot and storyline are slowly unfolded by the narrator through, as a GR friend put it, the hazy fog of memory. It's wonderful and highly recommended. I bring it up because Durrell had a fantastic vocabulary and you'd certainly find quite a lot of what you're looking for in that regard from him.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Smoking Crow posted:

drat we just got trolled

Made for an interesting couple of pages, though.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

JackKnight posted:

T'was not my intent to troll.

I'm not upset, it's been entertaining. These arguments you've been making in the midst of a bunch of snobs in a thread dedicated to bemoaning the quality of the books that most of TBB appear to read, though ....

JackKnight posted:

I use the term liberally for the lack of a better way to describe "monointelligence" which is a word I just made up.
I am not acting above them. Not in all my posts have I said I was above such a person. In fact I have explicitly stated that I was a blue collar moron. And that I wanted to rise up out of that quagmire of mental stagnation.

Perhaps I haven't set the right mental picture here. I grew up on a foothill in SC down the road from a whole group of redneck hillbillies. By redneck hillbillies I mean blue collar loving idiot morons who don't know up from down. My mother poisoned and/or shot their dogs, and we had an ongoing dispute with them about nearly everything else. Those people I am above. Same with the idiot fuckwits who claim to be car mechanics, and can't even describe a part properly, or any of thousands of other people I have met who are just loving morons.

That said, I am still a monointelligent (moronic imbecile) person, because I have allowed my mind to become lazy. I am only currently good at one thing, and that is driving my semi truck. :-)

Your having explicitly stated that you're above blue collar morons is obviated by the fact that you claim to be one while using a decidedly high level of vocabulary. So maybe in not so many words, but you've definitely cast yourself above them.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Flattened Spoon posted:

Any fans of Wallace Stegner? Just read an interesting article about him and now I'm looking to pick up Angle of Repose...haven't seen him mentioned though.

Yes! Wallace Stegner is probably my favorite American author. The settings of his books are western and he does generational novels really well, as so few authors seem to do. The prose isn't perfect, but his characters are.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Quandary posted:

Does Steinbeck count for this thread because I just finished East of Eden and drat that was a beautiful book

You are not wrong. That book had some of the best characters I've read in literature.