Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Smoking Crow posted:

read some loving real works of art.

What is "art"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Smoking Crow posted:

Look inside yourself.

What if I'm filled with misery?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Read Sylvia plath

Stephen King is miserable. Can I read him instead?

And how does the OP know we aren't reading "real" literature?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Smoking Crow posted:

I've read the Book Barn

That doesn't really answer my question. Maybe some of the BB crowd does read real literature, but just doesn't feel like talking about it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Smoking Crow posted:

That makes no sense because that would mean that you read both good and bad and only choose to talk about the bad. That would be like drinking champagne from France and Milwaukee's Best and only choosing to talk about Milwaukee's Best.

It's more fun to talk about the bad.

I remember literature classes in high school (a looooong time ago) and hating dissecting every loving word. No, Mr. Jones, I don't know what the author meant by the scene with the three-legged dog and, frankly, I don't give a gently caress.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Stravinsky posted:

You could uh, not do that instead talk about the insanely sick poo poo that is a Faust making deals with demons and read Pynchon or somethings instead of dumb poo poo.

To each his own, I suppose.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

The anime is drinking piss as well WTF?!?!

I would love to know the subtext for that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Smoking Crow posted:

It's olive oil. Someone in GBS made it for me because I opened an olive oil appreciation thread and my old avatar was Katyusha.

But what does it really mean?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Smoking Crow posted:

Click it and find out! :)

Ha! That's exactly what I figured.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Srice posted:

Especially for the people that think that in order to read non-genre stuff you *have* to analyze themes and subtexts and other things they tell you about in high school lit class.

But if I do read those types of books and I don't "get" the subtext, then I'm judged as some kind of imbecile.

I guess we can expect similar threads in the other sub-forums telling us what kind of music we should be listening to, or what TV shows and movies we should be watching.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Srice posted:

You seem to have a hangup about that stuff, I suggest following the advice in the things I quoted!

Surface-level enjoyment of that stuff is fine, nobody in here is saying you're a monster for not going past that when reading non-genre stuff. Don't make up some strawmen, tia.

If the story interests me, I'll give it a shot, if not, I won't.

If nothing else I've learned after 20+ years of posting on internet message boards is that everything you like is horrible and everything you hate is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

computer parts posted:

Part of the issue is that there's a natural language drift (even with 50s Sci-fi or whatever it's pretty clear that people don't talk like that any more), it makes it kind of hard to follow.

I think that's the biggest turn off for Shakespeare. You're constantly looking at the footnotes to know what's being said. Then you have to figure out what he means.