Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best part about smoking cigarettes is always having a reason to step outside of an ongoing activity for about 10 minutes. These stupid loving children vape indoors. Where things are happening-- while they're happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Both these things can be (and are imo) true.

I should have phrased it as "there are disagreements on whether we should be encouraging or discouraging it"

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

jokes posted:

The best part about smoking cigarettes is always having a reason to step outside of an ongoing activity for about 10 minutes. These stupid loving children vape indoors. Where things are happening-- while they're happening.

i've faked plenty of phone calls to accomplish the same goal tho

ifttt has a p sweet script for this exact scenario - https://ifttt.com/applets/aS3UJNDQ-emergency-call-clgboy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

The silver lining to an impending ELE asteroid strike would be that I could start smoking again. I loved smoking and I didn't really get any of the benefits you're supposed to get, I didn't have more energy, food didn't taste better, all I got was less happy.

I like to bring my weekly cig with me for the halfway point of a long bike ride, especially at the top of a big hill. it's a reward for healthy activity!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Fools. All of them!!! Getting to chill outside for 10m is fantastic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ok so the Montrose library was supposed to be replaced 2 years ago, but construction hasn’t even begun on the new building. Despite the fact that the old building is falling apart and the elevator has been broken for months so the whole second floor is just inaccessible. Two weeks ago local news site Houston Landing does an article pointing all this out. The next day, HPL announces it’s just closing the current one permanently immediately. The next day, the mayor fires the head of HPL. Today the Montrose library reopens, still with the second floor completely inaccessible, and the mayor says he sees no reason that location should ever close even when the new one opens.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also they’re doing a reopening party today and you can get a free HPL-branded cheeseboard if you stop by.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How has no one mentioned that vaping is insanely cringe and makes you look dumb

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
HPL was massively mismanaged under Rhea Lawson and Turner, the Montrose library has been in weird limbo for the past 6 or so years as needing updates and changes but not having the money to do so.

It's a really sad state of affairs, and HPL is full of anyone below Librarian 3 trying their hardest to keep an underfunded system working while anyone L3 and over fucks around and tries to play politics, because of Lawson's influence.

I've been out for 4 years and remain annoyed as hell about it, and have bored more than one friend to death with HPL war stories.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
forgot which thread I was in and got increasingly confused reading that as Howard Philips Lovecraft

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

smoking is badass and they should invent a pill that makes it safe

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I can never tell how much irony is involved with smoking makes you look cool because it doesn't.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's only smoking weed that makes you look cool

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dameius posted:

I can never tell how much irony is involved with smoking makes you look cool because it doesn't.

zero irony. i havent smoked in 8 years but i still think it smells good and looks cool. rip to that time in my life i guess lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lobster shirt posted:

zero irony. i havent smoked in 8 years but i still think it smells good and looks cool. rip to that time in my life i guess lol.

I love smoking cigarettes and I think it makes me look cool but those are two totally independent things. The stimulants seem to interact with my ADHD in a way that relaxes me. I would never smoke a cigarette to look cool that's loving dumb but I love drugs and cigarettes were one of my first :unsmith:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

jokes posted:

I love smoking cigarettes and I think it makes me look cool but those are two totally independent things. The stimulants seem to interact with my ADHD in a way that relaxes me. I would never smoke a cigarette to look cool that's loving dumb but I love drugs and cigarettes were one of my first :unsmith:

Drugs are cool and make you feel like you look cool, or obliterate your sense of self so you no longer care. Cigs and booze are not included in this list.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jokes posted:

are you me, I was about to make this exact post word for word

edit:cigs and booze are drugs too, and cigs and booze also own, sorry dameius this is the rare place where we disagree.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

lobster shirt posted:

Cigarettes smell like poo poo and make everything around you smell like poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Cigarettes smell like poo poo and make everything around you smell like poo poo

That's your upper lip, friend

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

are you me, I was about to make this exact post word for word

edit:cigs and booze are drugs too, and cigs and booze also own, sorry dameius this is the rare place where we disagree.

They're mainstream and thus lame. But they are drugs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cigarettes (and vapes I guess) are babby's first drug especially nowadays since they have flavors that aren't "you will cough now", "maybe the alcohol will cover it up", and "cloves".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Do you remember how the cloves would kinda crackle when you smoked them?

Was cool as hell.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I mean if it's not harmful I don't give a poo poo if kids vape

A lot of the vaping is weed and other poo poo, not just weird flavored nicotine juices. I mean, kids have always smoked weed in school bathrooms, it's just easier to smuggle into schools these days with the vape format. Instead of the drug dealer bringing in a bunch of joints (and smelling like pot) they bring in vapes that can look like basically anything and don't typically emit a strong odor. The school I work in had an incident last year where a kid went comatose after, according to them, taking hits from a drug dealer's vape. School nurse administered narcan to revive the student, so presumably it was loaded with some kind of opioid. The old DARE scare tactic about your weed being laced with heroin may actually be true in this brave new world.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

It never smelled cool. One of the things I don't miss at all from bartending (pre-ban) is going home smelling like an ashtray. It only smells cool to other smokers, similar to how weed only smells cool to other people who smoke weed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yes everyone loves to say that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I smoke cigarettes, something that is 100% proven to gently caress up my health in every conceivable way and will inevitably cause me to choke to death and destroy the health of everyone around me as well, I give a poo poo about how I smell.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i rode my bike eight miles, smoked a cigarette, then rode my bike nine miles. some cute women looked my way so i know i must've looked cool. i had a bandana tho

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
swears is living the dream

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She was probably looking for where the terrible cigarette smell was coming from.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
just out of curiosity does anyone associate tobacco smell with stale popcorn

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No but coffee roast smells like burnt dog poo poo sometimes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Buy better coffee. Have you tried Java pura???

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I neither drink nor like coffee.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
strike 2

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Typical leftist in fighting.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ted Cruz is a former smoker, and misses the smell of cigarettes. Really makes you think.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

teds right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm gonna huck a pack of cowboy killers at his head. i just want to bring him back to flavor country

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Smoking makes a generic person look cool. Smoking does not make anyone in this thread look cool, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cael posted:

Smoking makes a generic person look cool. Smoking does not make anyone in this thread look cool, hth

I have bummed you so many cigarettes. :nsamad: