Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Goddamn I want to be a professional agitator. How do you get in on that work?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AKMcGlinchy/status/1783937321592672555

Oh yeah, that's tenable. Good loving lord.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

how could the university possibly justify that???

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They can't, and they will be sued massively.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I expect a complete reversal on that within 24 hours. Calvinball poo poo.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I didn't remember Jay Hartzell being the UT president when I was there, but I couldn't remember who it was. Then I saw what happened with Emory University, and turns out their president was UT's until 2020. Greg Fenves. Cops at Emory roughed up and arrested at least two tenured old white lady professors who were taking issue with cops putting their knees on students' necks and pushing faces into pavement.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I still remember Fenves so much more fondly because after the Charleston church shooting he was not only prompt about moving Confederate statues off the main lawn but very eloquent about explaining his reasoning to the community. Then he and his wife was the first COVID cases in Austin and he seemed to just bounce after that.

Hartzell has routinely failed at communicating anything thoughtful through the Eyes of Texas conflict, the recent DEI purge, and now this. He's an embarrassment

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://x.com/tplohetski/status/1783971195454451915?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Oh word? You talked to your lawyers huh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cops just get doughier and redder every year huh

Like to recruit new cops they just sprinkle a bunch of rotten apple cores and stale donuts on the ground and grab the piggiest looking republicans, give them a badge, and then send them towards a college campus

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
In England, the gammons become politicians, over here they become cops.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn I want to be a professional agitator. How do you get in on that work?

Just keep posting.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Got a screenshot?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SithDrummer posted:

Got a screenshot?

UT was banning from campus all the arrested protestors. This included students in the middle of finals. They've already walked it back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SithDrummer posted:

Got a screenshot?

I think it was a tweet saying that the students who were part of the protest were banned from campus. Meaning that they wouldn't be allowed to take their finals, and then wouldn't be able to go to graduation if they were graduating. The school then backtracked and decided that the students can go to campus to go to class and can ask permission to use campus services or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was a tweet saying that the students who were part of the protest were banned from campus. Meaning that they wouldn't be allowed to take their finals, and then wouldn't be able to go to graduation if they were graduating. The school then backtracked and decided that the students can go to campus to go to class and can ask permission to use campus services or something.

The first time they try to deny someone permission, they'll have to back down on that too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yep. This whole thing has been a debacle

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And here I thought people who used troopers against college students were smart and in control

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I look forward to UT not doing anything for some pro-israeli settlement, pro-bombing gaza rally that gets way more aggressive.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Ah, okay. Thanks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jiro posted:

I look forward to UT not doing anything for some pro-israeli settlement, pro-bombing gaza rally that gets way more aggressive.

it'll have to come from outside because the counterprotest I saw on wednesday was anemic as hell

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

it'll have to come from outside because the counterprotest I saw on wednesday was anemic as hell

Abbott will bus them in.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

lobster shirt posted:

starting to think texas is a bad state after all...

I'm literally game planning my move out.
First step is selling the house.
I'm done with this shithole.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Bananana posted:

I'm literally game planning my move out.
First step is selling the house.
I'm done with this shithole.

Just got my CDL, and I work for Amazon which means I won't even have to switch employer. I'm gonna hold on until after the election but then I'm almost certainly gonna start looking into getting the gently caress out of this stupid state. Just gotta figure out where I'd want to go besides "Not here" and "Also Not Florida"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is there at least rental insurance in FL?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1784356053607387246

He's not wrong

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

chucks right

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Fuckin :lol:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Is there at least rental insurance in FL?

Insurance rates are crazy in Florida right now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

chucks right

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
ah, but he has heard of us

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this is more houpol than texpol but god drat john whitmire sucks as mayor

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It really was a no win scenario between him and SJL. And since Whitmire is competent (while being absolutely dogshit) we’re probably stuck with him for more terms.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I mean Turner was a tough act to follow, but Whitmire dug deep and found ways to be dumber and worse. It's really something.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so what's he doing

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

budget cuts, raising water rates, talking about raising all other kinds of city fees. oh and also he is trying to halt and reverse a ton of improvements the previous mayor made to houston's pedestrian and bike infrastructure. like the city is so much better in that regard than it used to be even ten years ago, and this fuckin rear end in a top hat wants to go back -- and this costs money! it is expensive to remove infrastructure that is already built.

this is insanely idiotic in particular: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/shepherd-durham-whitmire-bike-safety-federal-funds-19425059.php foregoing federal funds to a major improvement. its especially stupid too because parts of it have already been rebuilt, he just wants to redesign basically the middle third of this street project to retain the original four lanes instead of the three on the rest of it. so basically a major thoroughfare is going to be three lanes when you get off the highway, then widen to four, then narrow back to three. like there's no way that doesn't create much worse traffic than just keeping the number of lanes consistent. and of course without the separate bike path for part of it going north-south is going to be much more difficult and dangerous. hate him!!!! at least he can't serve longer than six years...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Whitemire is the mayoral version of Ogg.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
we really were a stuck with a south park-esque giant douche vs. turd sandwich slate of mayoral candidates

i still think whitmire was the "less bad" option comared to sjl, and i'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's only been in the job for. however it sure as poo poo ain't looking good so far. (see: all the reasons listed above.)

Jake Gittes fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 29, 2024

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
shout-out to sheila btw: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/26/thirsty-media-hungry-congress-awards-00153213

quote:

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), for her career-long record of always hogging the aisle seat at the State of the Union to shake the hand of the president — a refreshingly old-school way of getting media coverage, given the social-media antics of many on this list. When asked about it, she has said it’s helpful for securing support for the causes that are important to her, and not just about getting good photos. We’re doubtful. But she also won the award this year for losing the mayoral election in Houston and then, days later, filing to run for the House once again. That aisle seat isn’t going to fill itself.

not just hogging an aisle seat, but being sure to wear the loudest outfit in the chamber to make sure she can be seen on tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jake Gittes posted:

we really were a stuck with a south park-esque giant douche vs. turd sandwich slate of mayoral candidates

i still think whitmire was the "less bad" option comared to sjl, and i'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's only been in the job for. however it sure as poo poo ain't looking good so far. (see: all the reasons listed above.)

I'm thinking that a do-nothing SJL constantly media hogging but policy blocked by the many people who don't like her would be better as a seat warmer than the amount of damage Whitmire is going to cause before he is done.