Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Jake Gittes posted:

maybe my internal timeline is all messed up but i remember being in pre-school in 1988 or 89 and being legit freaked out by KILLER BEES. like that is a core fear memory from my early childhood.

it makes me wonder what I'm inadvertently freaking out my kids w/ today.

Talking to my 9 year old, I'm well aware that they have a growing incessant terror of climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

No, what hive are you really from

omg y'all my results said i'm 1% africanized! how exotic!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
European bees do their honey dance like this but africanized bees do their honey dance like this.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Xeni Jardin Homie What Set you From tweet but about hives

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/1778852619349274806

Whoa, county judge says it was a guy who was denied a CDL the previous day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Three people were life-flighted? How rural was this DMV for people to need airlifting over to the hospital?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SlothfulCobra posted:

Three people were life-flighted? How rural was this DMV for people to need airlifting over to the hospital?

Brenham is roughly halfway between Houston and Austin. That could easily have been a 90 minute haul by ambulance in either direction, probably longer with any sort of traffic.

I have no idea what the local facilities are like, or how crowded/staffed they were at that time.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the blue bell factory ain't known for its ability to SAVE lives

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's pretty common in that part of Texas, especially with all the rural hospital closures.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Kunabomber posted:

Talking to my 9 year old, I'm well aware that they have a growing incessant terror of climate change

god drat it now I gotta talk to my 6 year old about this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

Oh good I'm not the only one, since specifically my creeping terror is drinkable water scarcity.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
i'm legit not worried at all about climate change.

this may be a hot take, but while I agree it's a man-made phenomena and is loving our poo poo up worse and worse every day: i remain confident the problem is going to solve itself the nanosecond someone figures out a way to reliably profit off of solving the issue.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
In the current trajectory, much of the global north will have a measurable decrease in quality of life but the overall total systems of life might still remain recognizable. If this happens, it'll come at the massive expenditure of human suffering and life from the global south. So basically white liberal blinders have a solid chance of not being ripped off.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dameius posted:

In the current trajectory, much of the global north will have a measurable decrease in quality of life but the overall total systems of life might still remain recognizable. If this happens, it'll come at the massive expenditure of human suffering and life from the global south. So basically white liberal blinders have a solid chance of not being ripped off.

i'll just liquidate some stocks and move to NuDenver behind the big glass bubble

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Jake Gittes posted:

this may be a hot take, but while I agree it's a man-made phenomena and is loving our poo poo up worse and worse every day: i remain confident the problem is going to solve itself the nanosecond someone figures out a way to reliably profit off of solving the issue.

Yeah it'll be incredibly profitable to develop an exit plan for rich people

Edit: I did not say the exit plan would have to work, you just gotta convince them it'll work

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Jiro posted:

Oh good I'm not the only one, since specifically my creeping terror is drinkable water scarcity.

DFW already has plans to flood all of east Texas with reservoirs, don't you worry about that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah it'll be incredibly profitable to develop an exit plan for rich people

Edit: I did not say the exit plan would have to work, you just gotta convince them it'll work

Like an underground setup for shelter and storage. You could call it Vault-Tec.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jake Gittes posted:

I think it's been pretty obvious for a while that whenever there's a solution to solve anything and it makes a shitload of money, lower income people rarely see the benefit, and those that already have a gently caress load of money just ending up making more and eventually sequester themselves in enclaves to ride out any and all hardships.

poo poo, Zuckerberg is building an underground compound on Kauai and a ranch with all the land he grifted to get to shelter himself and his friends when the need arises.

https://www.wired.com/story/mark-zuckerberg-inside-hawaii-compound/

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Like an underground setup for shelter and storage. You could call it Vault-Tec.

“How do I maintain authority over my security force after the Event?”

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Brenham is roughly halfway between Houston and Austin. That could easily have been a 90 minute haul by ambulance in either direction, probably longer with any sort of traffic.

I have no idea what the local facilities are like, or how crowded/staffed they were at that time.

It is about 30 miles to Bryan/College Station where the regional hospitals are, and 40 miles or so to Cypress. Quick search shows they have a small 25 bed hospital in Brenham otherwise.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 12, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Crazy what results you can get when cherry picking polls.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Crazy what results you can get when cherry picking polls.

that nine-point lead seems completely expected

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

It is about 30 miles to Bryan/College Station where the regional hospitals are, and 40 miles or so to Cypress. Quick search shows they have a small 25 bed hospital in Brenham otherwise.
I used to provide blood to Brenham Hospital back about 10 years ago and basically we kept them stocked with enough O- to dump into a patient until life flight arrived

It was definitely a triage station for when A&M students returning to campus from Houston the median and had a head on with someone going 85 the opposite direction

Speaking of which I think it's Chilifest this weekend so they'll probably be busy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well that's an unpleasant combination of words

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epiphyte posted:

I used to provide blood to Brenham Hospital back about 10 years ago and basically we kept them stocked with enough O- to dump into a patient until life flight arrived

It was definitely a triage station for when A&M students returning to campus from Houston the median and had a head on with someone going 85 the opposite direction

Speaking of which I think it's Chilifest this weekend so they'll probably be busy

I... hm.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*dropping off the o-negative at the brenham hospital, passing a cauldron of chili*

sooooooo...kidney beans?

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I mean, Brenham is probably one of the better local hospitals in that area to get taken to in a trauma situation

I had to fail the Cameron hospital during an audit because I found the MLT keeping his lunch in the lab fridge, on the shelf underneath the blood and God knows whatever patient samples.

Once you get off 6 or 290 that area of TX gets wild quick...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Epiphyte posted:

I mean, Brenham is probably one of the better local hospitals in that area to get taken to in a trauma situation

I had to fail the Cameron hospital during an audit because I found the MLT keeping his lunch in the lab fridge, on the shelf underneath the blood and God knows whatever patient samples.

oh hell yes we have a health inspector goon

how much are you willing to type up? i'm sure our valley posters would read and appreciate every word. please go wild on any subject

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheres he supposed to put his gd lunch

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i say swears online posted:

oh hell yes we have a health inspector goon

how much are you willing to type up? i'm sure our valley posters would read and appreciate every word. please go wild on any subject

also when you said "i used to provide o negative blood" i misinterpreted at first and assumed you and a couple friends just rolled out there twice a month to get needles stuck in your arms

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 13, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Wheres he supposed to put his gd lunch

better below the samples than above, right?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’d rather not have my blood smell like fish

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blood bags forever yellow because they had a dang curry in there one time

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Epiphyte posted:

Probably the first time my hometown has been mentioned on these forums.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the stinky town that killed some people with ice cream got some news here

chglcu
May 17, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the stinky town that killed some people with ice cream got some news here

Mine was the other town mentioned in that post.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chglcu posted:

Mine was the other town mentioned in that post.

my bad, my first thought was Cameron County

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I assumed the town due to proximity, but really could also just be some hospital with that name. I think there’s something named after the guy in most places in this state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah, the town of Cameron. Things have hopefully improved since, the whole hospital was shut down for a while because the owner was prosecuted for Medicare fraud, so I think S&W may have taken it over

Also, sorry no good stories about the Valley, I only inspected hospitals that my blood bank serviced, farthest south we got was Lake Jackson. We rotated blood around to ensure it gets used so we inspect the hospitals yearly to ensure they are storing the units properly. After those O- sit on the shelf for 2-3 weeks in central TX we rotate them out and send them to the Med Center to ensure they aren't wasted.