Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

i say swears online posted:

ladies and gentlemen,

we got him

Until the Texas Supreme Court says otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ladies and gentlemen,

we got him

Ah, well. Nevertheless...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ladies and gentlemen,

we got him

:mad:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

kens going down

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

kens going down

No he isn't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's nothing in the state constitution that bars someone that wears a suit that says "Griftmaster 5000" on the back from becoming attorney general.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
He can still be the Attorney General, even if the famously woke cucks at the Texas State Bar Association disbar him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why shouldn't an ancient demon known only as "The devourer of children" be our secretary of education? He claims that his school lunch program for fattening up children will keep them off the streets and away from crime.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Why shouldn't an ancient demon known only as "The devourer of children" be our secretary of education? He claims that his school lunch program for fattening up children will keep them off the streets and away from crime.

yeah DeVos was pretty bad

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
At least that demon would actually support school lunch and breakfast programs.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

kens going down

On the contrary, he'll be our next Attorney General.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

If Paxton put on an “I am Kenough” shirt they’d drop all charges against him and he’d win governor by a landslide.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Pax Texana

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Scroll over the spoilers to see why I've never felt more pessimistic about the possibility of the Dallas-Houston train...

Janet Miranda for the Houston Chronicle posted:

Houston-Dallas bullet train could be built within the next decade, Amtrak says
The controversial railway project could begin construction by the early 2030s, according to an Amtrak executive.

The long-awaited Texas bullet train from Houston to Dallas could be built within ten years, according to an Amtrak executive.

During the Southwestern Regional Rail Conference, Amtrak's Senior Vice President, Andy Byford, reaffirmed that the national rail company is collaborating with its partner, Texas Central, to develop a high-speed train. Byford stated that the construction of this train could commence in the "early 2030s," KERA NEWS reported.

"This is very much a project that Amtrak is now leading," Byford said, as reported by KERA NEWS. "I have to make sure that in any recommendation I give to my CEO and my board, that is a project that is worthwhile pursuing. And right now, having looked at the revenue forecasts and done our due diligence to date, I still think that is the case. That again, though, does not mean that it's a done deal."

The Houston-to-Dallas bullet train requires land acquisition along its route, with only 30 percent of the land needed currently secured, Byford said. It will cost at least $30 billion and needs broad political support and a mix of private and public funding. Despite opposition from rural property owners along the route, Amtrak officials view it as one of the most viable high-speed railways in the U.S. due to the large populations of the two cities and the relatively flat topography between them.

The 240-mile high-speed railway announced a decade ago faced challenges securing land acquisitions and dealing with a lawsuit regarding eminent domain authority. However, the project has cleared many hurdles, securing federal approval for the proposed route and legal authority to acquire land through eminent domain after a Texas Supreme Court ruling in 2022.

Amtrak received $500,000 from the federal government last year to work on the early stages of work in connecting the two metro areas. But that money doesn't indicate a commitment for them to foot any more of the full cost of the project.

The project has recently been in the national spotlight, as part of President Joe Biden's and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida's talks during his visit last week.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think for most of the project's lifespan Amtrak wasn't in charge of it, but I guess now they've taken over it?

I also still think that if they really believed in the idea of a train between Dallas and Houston, they could just reopen the normal speed rail line in a couple months and see immediately how people deal with it, even though it'd sure be cool to have high speed rail and give a lot of people a weird sunk cost fallacy where now they HAVE to try to use the rail after a lot of money got spent on it.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
People aren't going to take a train between Houston and Dallas when it takes 2-3x longer than driving or a bus.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Elon should interfere and destroy the project.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Oil! posted:

People aren't going to take a train between Houston and Dallas when it takes 2-3x longer than driving or a bus.

Also, there was never a direct Houston-Dallas line. Even back in the day it was Houston -> Temple -> Fort Worth -> Dallas. So there's nothing to really "re-open". Also, even then all the rail lines are owned by freight companies and Amtrak has to be low-priority (pulling onto parallel tracks to let freight trains pass).

The big advantage of the new line, if it ever exists, is that they would be owned by the passenger rail lines and wouldn't have to deal with freight traffic. Even if they don't make it a high-speed train, having direct service that is the top priority of the rails on which it runs means that it would be faster than driving.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2024

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
gently caress this, i want high speed freight so that derailments leave craters where towns used to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Also, there was never a direct Houston-Dallas line. Even back in the day it was Houston -> Temple -> Fort Worth -> Dallas. So there's nothing to really "re-open". Also, even then all the rail lines are owned by freight companies and Amtrak has to be low-priority (pulling onto parallel tracks to let freight trains pass).

The big advantage of the new line, if it ever exists, is that they would be owned by the passenger rail lines and wouldn't have to deal with freight traffic. Even if they don't make it a high-speed train, having direct service that is the top priority of the rails on which it runs means that it would be faster than driving.

Don't worry, they will find a way to get freight trains going 35mph on the high speed line.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
https://x.com/lmcgaughy/status/1782837308204494932

Great implications here - you can't even have basic human rights if you travel out of state because we're all Ken Paxton's property. He's like that abusive ex-boyfriend who threatens your boss at every job you get so you can't stay employed.

Also, in related news Idaho has started just hospital helicoptering women with serious pregnancy complications out of state. We have that lawsuit law on the books, so I assume Paxton will sue any hospitals, helicopter pilots, etc. who offer transport to an abortion.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 23, 2024

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

poemdexter posted:

gently caress this, i want high speed freight so that derailments leave craters where towns used to be.

The derailment only happen purely from neglect from the railroad companies cutting corners by having trains operated by only one (probably sleep-deprived) driver and AI "Conductor", not doing the required maintains on rails and trains because the FRA has no budget or teeth, and our railroads being overloaded by these trains running 100+ when all the infrastructure supports 50 on any given day.

E: And I'm now just realizing, due to my brain being mush and from lack of sleep, I've completely misread your post.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Derailment? Time to bring up that racist effort post about derailments.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so while we all agree that arkansas is the birthplace of queso, did y'all know oklahoma's got a great claim to brisket?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

https://x.com/lmcgaughy/status/1782837308204494932

Great implications here - you can't even have basic human rights if you travel out of state because we're all Ken Paxton's property. He's like that abusive ex-boyfriend who threatens your boss at every job you get so you can't stay employed.

Also, in related news Idaho has started just hospital helicoptering women with serious pregnancy complications out of state. We have that lawsuit law on the books, so I assume Paxton will sue any hospitals, helicopter pilots, etc. who offer transport to an abortion.

Paxton runs thunderdome

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Was Ridley Scott cited as precedent for just rolling over for that sack of poo poo?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

so while we all agree that arkansas is the birthplace of queso, did y'all know oklahoma's got a great claim to brisket?

I recognize this is bait, yet I’m triggered all the same. :v:

E: Oh wait, nvm, that’s just called being Texan.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 24, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RyanChandlerTV/status/1783197716769636798

This poo poo makes me so nervous. There's no reason to even have troopers there except Abbott wants to show how he's big and tough unlike those effete NYers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

This poo poo makes me so nervous. There's no reason to even have troopers there except Abbott wants to show how he's big and tough unlike those effete NYers.

Gotta look tough on unarmed kids on an election year. Hope the students are able to get their message across without getting beaten up by DPS Shock Troopers.

https://www.texasobserver.org/spacex-tpwd-park-land-musk/

The Texas Observer posted:

Whenever SpaceX rockets blast off from the sandy property that Elon Musk controls near Brownsville, the road to Boca Chica Beach—including Boca Chica State Park—closes by order of the county judge (as well as other days when the company deems it necessary). At times, rockets have exploded and showered down debris on public and private lands for miles around. Bits have been discovered in grassy coastal areas identified by officials from the nearby U.S. Fish and Wildlife refuge as the territory of the endangered piping plover, a small shorebird with a distinctive black-striped face.

But for Rio Grande Valley residents, this land is more than habitat for birds, nesting sea turtles, and other wildlife. It’s a longtime gathering spot for Brownville families and fishermen eager to avoid the tourists and towering resort hotels of South Padre Island to the north. It’s also a place that members of the Carrizo/Comecrudo tribe prize as their ancient camping and fishing grounds.

That’s why more than 2,300 public comments flooded in—the majority negative—when the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission recently debated a proposal to trade away 43 acres of Boca Chica State Park, west of the beach and adjacent to the existing launch site, to SpaceX. A contentious March 4 hearing attracted dozens of spectators, including three vanloads and more cars full of activists from the Valley who made the five-hour trip to Austin in order to speak for just three minutes each.

But Commission Jeffery D. Hildebrand, a billionaire businessman appointed by Governor Greg Abbott as chairman of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission, told opponents this hearing wasn’t about their SpaceX concerns but about what he considered a good deal.

He and other commissioners unanimously voted to swap the parkland for the possibility of acquiring another 477 acres that’s fully 10 miles away, across the Brownsville Ship Channel and west of Port Isabel, even though SpaceX doesn’t yet own that other property. (The company proposes to acquire the land and donate it later.) “​​Through this transaction, we are guaranteeing the conservation of 477 acres, which would otherwise potentially be developed into condominiums or strip centers,” Hildebrand said.

In April, only weeks after that meeting, the South Texas Environmental Justice Network, in partnership with the Carrizo/Comecrudo Tribe of Texas and Save RGV, sued the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and the commission for its land swap decision. The groups denounced TPWD for allowing what they called “a land grab of Boca Chica State Park land for a private space corporation that is clearly not in the public interest.”

But giving up or giving away Texas state property is nothing new for the state’s park commissioners. Over the last 25 years, commission members have agreed to swap, lease, give up, or give away thousands of acres of public lands, according to records and news accounts.

In some ways, though, this latest proposed land deal is different: It comes only months after Texas voters approved a billion-dollar endowment fund specifically for state park expansion. In other words, Texas state park commissioners are no longer so cash-strapped that they are forced by budgetary constraints to trade away land in order to grow. “It’s absolutely ridiculous,” Olive Hershey, a longtime environmental activist from Houston, said in an interview. “They don’t have to do this at all.”

Voters overwhelmingly approved the Centennial Parks Conservation Fund in November 2023 as a way to celebrate the state parks’ 100th anniversary. On top of that new billion-dollar endowment, Texas voters had previously approved a constitutional amendment that entitled the TPWD to receive 94 percent of the sporting goods sales tax—another fund that has grown to about $160 million a year.

Neither during their March meeting, nor in response to questions for this article did park leaders explain why they chose not to tap the endowment to acquire property instead of sacrificing parkland to SpaceX.

Hildebrand is an energy executive used to cutting deals with major corporations. (He is executive chairman and founder of Hilcorp Energy Company and previously worked for Exxon Company, U.S.A, among others.) Supposedly, the new land acquired via the SpaceX deal will be used to build another state park someday.

In response to questions about the deal from the Texas Observer, a TPWD spokesperson said via email: “The acres proposed for swap are noncontiguous tracts largely surrounded by private owners and encroached on by construction,” apparently referring to construction by SpaceX itself. “Given the breadth of opportunities to expand and enhance Texas state parkland using the Texas Centennial Parks Conservation Fund, this swap providing a ten-time return on acreage offers the most prudent use of public funds for expanding state park availability in Texas.”

lex Ortiz, an Austin-based lawyer and water resources expert who currently serves as the volunteer water resources chairman of the Sierra Club’s Lone Star Chapter, is one of many people who consider the swap a bad deal for local residents and wildlife —and bad policy for Texas parks in general. In his formal comment, he wrote: “Approving this action today could potentially risk irreparable harm to Texas’s coastline, endangered species, indigenous communities, and the whole Texas Parks system. Moreover, this decision risks setting a dangerous precedent that large for-profit entities with an appalling history of being a bad land steward and bad for public beach access, like SpaceX, have the ability to slowly chip away at beloved state parks in communities that do not want them to expand.”

TPWD staff have already been authorized to begin negotiations with SpaceX, which will likely involve months-long environmental assessments, though the lawsuit seeks to stop that process. The tracts the state proposes to relinquish are likely visited both by coastal waterbirds and sea turtles, Ortiz said. The larger property SpaceX will supposedly acquire, further inland along a lagoon, likely supports migratory birds and other wildlife. Comparing the ecological value of those two may prove difficult, but, to Ortiz, it all seems unnecessary. “You didn’t have to sacrifice 43 acres of Boca Chica State Park to do this,” Ortiz said in an interview. “This is just bad all around—a bad conservation practice.”

Over the years, TPWD officials, overseen by gubernatorial appointees, have repeatedly cut deals to enable development on current or former state park land. They’ve also traded away state park and recreation land to businesses and other government entities.

In 2019, Port Arthur LNG purchased and donated 1,280 acres near the state’s existing JD Murphree Wildlife Management Area in Port Arthur in exchange for 126 acres owned by the state. Though the math seems to favor Texas public lands, the state land was in an area known as Round Lake, which included sensitive coastal wetlands. A TPWD spokesman said that acreage was already “surrounded by land owned by Port Arthur LNG, which prevented TPWD from effectively managing the lake as it did not own or control the land around it. The company is now developing that parcel for a liquid natural gas port.”

Other records show that the park officials were cozying up to Port Arthur LNG, even as others were fighting that same project in court as potentially hugely damaging to the already fast-subsiding and often-flooded stretch of Texas Gulf Coast. Around the same time, the project developers, Sempra LNG, a San Diego-based energy company with more than $66 billion in assets, received a 2019 environmental stewardship award from TPWD for its employees’ participation in cleanups at nearby Sea Rim State Park. In March 2023, the company announced a multibillion-dollar deal related to its expansion, which was praised by Abbott. (A Sempra spokesperson did not provide comment by publication time.)

But the financial motivation for trading away other state park or recreational land seemed to evaporate in November 2023, when voters approved the billion-dollar endowment. State parks leaders—who oversee 89 parks, natural areas, and historic sites—immediately pledged to begin a new era of expansion.

The 2023 vote came only a few months after TPWD leaders had been publicly embarrassed after being forced to abandon a popular state park on wooded lakefront acreage that they’d leased for decades from a power company. The property, the former home of 1,460-acre Fairfield State Park, was sold to a private developer after state leaders failed to act on an opportunity to buy. They were given 120 days to vacate after the sale went through. Though state officials belatedly tried to recover the land through eminent domain, they quietly abandoned those efforts in December 2023, losing any chance to recoup trails, picnic grounds, and other amenities built with taxpayer money. Much of that public investment will now benefit new owners: the private subdivision’s developer and its future residents.

The avoidable loss of an attractive park and lake so near the fast-growing Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex attracted plenty of adverse publicity. But Texas park leaders have a long tradition of quietly wheeling and dealing away parkland and wilderness tract.

In 1999, the Legislature amended the Parks and Wildlife code to authorize the transfer of state real estate to local governments because TPWD leaders were complaining that they lacked funds even to address a huge backlog of needed repairs and upgrades in the popular state park system. (Those shortfalls had been created mainly by the Legislature’s failure to allocate enough of the sales tax created in 1994 on sporting goods to adequately support parks.) A series of state land giveaways ensued.

In 2004, state leaders transferred the hugely popular 517-acre Kerrville Schreiner State Park , originally developed by the federal Civilian Conservation Corps between 1935 and 1937, to the city of Kerrville. Lubbock Lake Landmark State Historical Park, a 336-acre site with archeological ruins, went to Texas Tech University and three other state properties were traded away too in the early 2000s.

The Boca Chica State Park property was acquired in 1994, but for decades, much of that land was leased back to the federal government to add to the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge. That lease ended in December, only a few months before the land swap vote.

Texas already ranks low in park acreage per capita—it’s 28th in the nation based on the percentage of land covered by state parks. And even that dismal ranking is artificially higher than it should be: It’s skewed by the size of Texas’ largest (and most remote) state park, Big Bend Ranch, which sprawls across 311,000 acres along the meandering Rio Grande in a Far West Texas stretch of desert that spans Brewster and Presidio counties.

Texas owns very little parkland along its 350-mile Gulf of Mexico coastline. But this is not the first time part (or all) of a beachfront state park has been threatened with closure or given away. Most of Bryan Beach State Park, 862 acres of beachfront near the mouth of the Brazos River, in Brazoria County, was transferred to the city of Freeport in 2019 (and the rest went to the Texas Department of Transportation for a dredging operation).

f the 2024 vote holds, SpaceX will soon claim acreage that belonged to one of Texas’ four remaining state coastal parks. Boca Chica State Park, Galveston Island State Park, Mustang Island State Park and Sea Rim State Park. All four have been adversely affected by flooding and hurricanes, but Boca Chica is the only one where public beach access is regularly blocked by private commercial activity. SpaceX did not respond to an emailed request for comment.

The Boca Chica swap won’t happen right away, partly because the land SpaceX proposes to trade is still owned by an Austin-based company called Bahia Grande Holdings, the Houston Chronicle reported. (The owners could not immediately be reached by the Observer).

A TPWD spokesman said, “This disposition process could take up to 18 months and would include an environmental assessment and opportunities for public comment and federal environmental compliance consultations through the National Historic Preservation Act and Endangered Species Act, and with local tribes.”

The recently filed lawsuit may further delay action. But even some opponents worry there’s limited chances left to stop SpaceX’s Boca Chica expansion.

Already, SpaceX has adversely affected Boca Chica State Park and the surrounding area, activists say. Cameron County commissioners have issued a standing order, with permission of the state General Land Office, that allows the county judge to temporarily close off access to public State Highway 4 and the public Boca Chica Beach to allow SpaceX activity.

According to real-time text alerts sent by SpaceX, the road to Boca Chica was closed on March 3 (the day before the land swap hearing), March 7, March 11, March 14, March 25, March 27, and April 5.

For Alex Ortiz, that practice poses yet another troubling question: “There’s a constitutional right to beach access in Texas. So it feels different if there’s repeated closures to a beach in a state park.” (The late René Oliveira, then a Brownsville state representative, passed a bill a decade ago allowing SpaceX to effectively undermine the state’s six-decades-old Open Beaches Act.)

To Valley activist Emma Guevara, a Sierra Club local community organizer, it already seems like “SpaceX is in charge.” She says many local residents are deterred from visiting the public beach at all, because SpaceX has so many “crazy beach and road closures.”

“You have to sign up for alerts and the system is not always accurate,” she said. “Our whole argument is … the more land they get, the more control they’ll have over that area until they have complete control. They pretty much do now because the county supports them.”

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

It's hard not to feel like we're headed for another Kent State, and fast. :sigh:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 24, 2024

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Can we just tell DPS there's a mass shooter in the crowd so they immediately abandon those young people and Abbott never speaks about it again?

I know of one of the trans activists who got knocked down by DPS and arrested. They ended up leaving the state and are still pretty traumatized. No danger, legislature just wanted a fancy show of force against them queers.
I think this summer with the protests will keep getting ugly with the police force, but I sort of wouldn't be surprised if DPS beats the poo poo out of a few teenagers in a committee hearing or something.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 24, 2024

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sardonik posted:

It's hard not to feel like we're headed for another Kent State, and fast. :sigh:

the majority of this country is not only fine with Kent State they'd be more than happy to see another over this

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mxmimosa/status/1783201990278869414

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The general development of riot police with specialized equipment over the last 50 years has generally been to prevent some random jackass from making another Kent State happen even when they want to crack down hard on a protest. I'm sure if Abbot could call in the national guard to take potshots at random college studients, he would've done it three years ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the majority of this country is not only fine with Kent State they'd be more than happy to see another over this

The majority of Americans are not on board with Israel’s actions. It switched to a majority want at least a cease fire a few weeks ago, and the numbers have only gotten worse for Israel since. College students getting shot for protesting the genocide would not be a popular move.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The majority of Americans are not on board with Israel’s actions. It switched to a majority want at least a cease fire a few weeks ago, and the numbers have only gotten worse for Israel since. College students getting shot for protesting the genocide would not be a popular move.

It was never a popular move when college students were shot and nevertheless...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dameius posted:

It was never a popular move when college students were shot and nevertheless...

it was quite popular actually lol

quote:

In the immediate aftermath and for years afterward, some held the idea that the students at Kent State got what they deserved. According to Rick Perlstein's Nixonland, a Gallup poll found that 58 percent of respondents blamed the students for the incident; just 11 percent blamed the guardsmen. In Kent State: What Happened and Why, author James Michener recounts the litany of rage-filled letters to local newspapers. “The National Guard made only one mistake,” one said. “They should have fired sooner and longer.” Why would the university want to venerate the victims?

“Middle America was not ready to accept the idea that American soldiers turned their guns on American citizens without having a good reason to do so,” Chic Canfora says.

Rhodes used a common deflection of the time, blaming external agents, comparing protesters to Brownshirts and communist agitators. (It’s worth noting that all 13 people killed or wounded in the shootings were Kent State students.)

Thomas Grace was a student at Kent State and friends with Alan Canfora. They were standing about 20 feet apart when the guardsmen opened fire.

“There was a sense at the time that everyone who was at a college campus in the 1970s was a pampered, spoiled kid,” says Grace, who was injured in the shootings and is now an assistant professor at Erie Community College near Buffalo. Grace notes that at the time, about 10 percent of students at Kent were military veterans, many using GI Bill benefits to attend what was then the second-largest college in Ohio.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/fifty-years-ago-kent-state-massacre-changed-university-forever-180974787/

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mea culpa, I was thinking of phrasing to capture more recent things like Virginia Tech but nevertheless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Not sure about the country, but TX state Dems called for a ceasefire and county Dem parties are doing the same.