Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Texas roads are already bad now, nothing else could be done that is worse. Fix the roads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Nonsense posted:

Texas roads are already bad now, nothing else could be done that is worse. Fix the roads

*Monkeys Paw closes*

Roads are fixed, but are now all toll roads by default.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i voted for sjl and am feeling very vindicated in doing so

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

also houston needs to get rid of its revenue cap, absolutely insane idea

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MickJagger/status/1784642186358694293

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

love that burger king

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mick Jagger eats there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is he wearing a belt on his waist, above his pants?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

tecnocrat posted:

*Monkeys Paw closes*

Roads are fixed, but are now all toll roads by default.

Im down for all roads being toll roads. Charge the people that are using it the most to pay for the road's upkeep, make people consider the cost of their drives on the environment, help fund public transit. All good things, meaning Texas will never do it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The tolls will only be used to build more toll roads, not maintain current ones. When I drove on sh 130 several years ago, it was so bumpy it was like they were trying to simulate riding a horse. I can't imagine how much worse it has gotten.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jesus III posted:

Im down for all roads being toll roads. Charge the people that are using it the most to pay for the road's upkeep, make people consider the cost of their drives on the environment, help fund public transit. All good things, meaning Texas will never do it.

Road tolls do not go towards a road's upkeep, they get sold off for short-term gain and collected in perpetuity by some third party while the state is still on the hook for maintenance.

Also the way that road tolls are generally designed, they make sure to put the tolls on the roads that were otherwise there to take pressure off congestion. It costs more to avoid inner city traffic, funnelling cars into the densest places.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every entrance to the austin city limits is $60, leaving is free

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

i say swears online posted:

every entrance to the austin city limits is $60, leaving is free

I believe that's the system for New York City.

Philadelphia also has a lot of tolls, which creates the situation where you have to pay to get out of New Jersey.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Doesn't some french company own pretty much all the toll roads in Houston? The money doesn't even go into some rich AMERICAN fat cat!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spanish, and DFW.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Road tolls do not go towards a road's upkeep, they get sold off for short-term gain and collected in perpetuity by some third party while the state is still on the hook for maintenance.

Also the way that road tolls are generally designed, they make sure to put the tolls on the roads that were otherwise there to take pressure off congestion. It costs more to avoid inner city traffic, funnelling cars into the densest places.

They currently don't. I was talking about what I want, not what is currently happening.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Won’t someone please think of the drivers :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Won’t someone please think of the drivers :(

Shouldn’t you be complaining to Brandon about the CTA

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh I am

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

on sunday evenings I go to the parking garage and let my car run for a few minutes so the battery doesn't die

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.texastribune.org/2024/04/25/crystal-mason-illegal-voting-texas-tarrant-county/

Texas is still Texasing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1785031364234117623

Strategically placed rocks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's soup for my family.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

You don't need a permit for that concealed rock in Texas

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bullets are just concealed rocks

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Rocks are just concealed bullets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Blades" of grass!?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

murdering a cop with my razor-sharp wit

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I know Abbott just wants to sew chaos and destroy UT-Austin's reputation and student well-being, but like...how did UT-Austin leadership experience what happened Wednesday, see nearly a week of peaceful protests, then decide that the most reasonable thing to do was do the exact same thing over again?

I'm not dismissing protesters as rich kids, but UT has a lot of students with nosy rich parents and some of those students have to be in the protest getting beat up. How are those parents not screaming at the administration right now? They threw flash bombs and pepperspray at a bunch of college students who hadn't seen any aggressive acts before or after the police showed up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they don't care about making sense or being right, op

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume the office of the governor or some of the regents called up Hartzell and told him what time it was.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
University of Texas System Board of Regents are Abbott toadies. Leadership is doing exactly what they intended to do.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Dameius posted:

University of Texas System Board of Regents are Abbott toadies. Leadership is doing exactly what they intended to do.

That suuuucks. Why do we have to have so many people in power whose whole purpose is to just make everything bad? Why do we live like this?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

That suuuucks. Why do we have to have so many people in power whose whole purpose is to just make everything bad? Why do we live like this?

Because we live in a democratic system and your neighbors, friends, and family voted for things to be bad

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

litany of gulps posted:

Because we live in a democratic system and your neighbors, friends, and family voted for things to be bad

They actually voted for things that are gonna make their political opponents upset. They don’t even care if things are good or bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Texas is one of many places that have the more urbanized areas counterbalanced by huge tracts of nothing in rural areas that the current political leadership relies on to maintain power. The Republican party as a whole developed a heavy "oppose everything always regardless of whether it makes sense and never bother trying to figure out how to please people or actually function as a government" philosophy in the 80s-90s between Ronald Reagan's charismatic minarchism bullshit and Bill Clinton's fairly tame policies that Newt Gingrich swore a blood oath against. Under W the party had a rocky time riding off of both Reagan bullshit and the 9/11 surge of jingoism to maintain power, but when Obama came along, the party could switch back to the comfort of opposition and also tapped into the reawakened insecurity of bigots afraid of what a black man in power could mean, and the Republican party has gone further and further on that trying to ferret out more hate and resentment and more enemies to rile up the base, and when the base is sufficiently riled, they try to win points by hurting the people they hate.

Although if you look at things more broadly, the current love/hate basis for the party divide might not have been established if LBJ dragged his heels on civil rights, which prompted the majority of the South to switch parties since the democrats would no longer be the party of continuing the old Southron order. Although if Republicans had stuck to their roots as the anti-slavery party and gone on to maintain support for civil rights after the civil war, they wouldn't have been in a position to take up the banner of racism after the Democratic party dropped it. A major step of the Republicans abandoning blacks was after many of them became uncomfortable about letting blacks rise in the party after a black man from Galveston became Texas party chairman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily-white_movement

And if you go back further, Texas got all that extra rural land as sort of a reward for making absurd border claims that the US used as a casus belli to fight a war of conquest on Mexico because Manifest Destiny was a great distraction from the political issue of slavery which many people had intense opinions on that paralyzed a lot of federal politics.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
It was a rhetorical question...we could know that answer in every which way and still not fully comprehend the why, oh god, why of Texas politics.

litany of gulps posted:

My family definitely did, but in another state. I'm in Austin and everywhere I've lived here most people are Democrats. They just voted for liberal NIMBY stuff, at the worst

I met some folks from the east coast recently and they expressed worry about being in a deeply conservative place. But like...it was downtown Austin, so not the conservative they were worried about.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I know Abbott just wants to sew chaos and destroy UT-Austin's reputation and student well-being, but like...how did UT-Austin leadership experience what happened Wednesday, see nearly a week of peaceful protests, then decide that the most reasonable thing to do was do the exact same thing over again?

From reading over the Daily Texan’s reporting on it, they saw a tent, and by god this noble Republic will not abide a tent

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.tpr.org/environment/2024-04-30/ercot-cautions-of-a-potential-power-emergency-this-week

IT BEGINS!! :sickos:

Texas Public Radio posted:

ERCOT late last week warned of a potential power emergency starting Monday evening through Wednesday. The electrical grid operator said there may be a shortfall of power reserves, and that it was adjusting planned power plant outages to shore up supply for the anticipated shortage.

Energy analyst Matt Smith spoke with the Standard about what prompted the warning, and what we can expect from the energy market heading into the summer months. Listen to the interview above or read the transcript below.

This transcript has been edited for clarity:

Texas Standard : So this ERCOT warning’s not a huge surprise, although it does seem to be coming rather early here. We’re not even out of April yet. They warned of possible deficient power reserves from today through May 1. What seems to have prompted this? Seems like it’s rather unusual to be hearing about a power shortage in spring, no?

Matt Smith: It is, but there’s no need to panic.

So what it is, is the initial kernel of strong demand starting to come through because of hotter temperatures. So warmer conditions coming through. But this is happening at a time when you’ve got supply sources that have been scheduled for maintenance. So they’re kind of taking a breather to get all geared up to meet the peak of summer demand. And so it’s a combination of this slight increase in demand and the weakness on the supply side.

You tend to see this maintenance on these supply sources during the “shoulder months” – in spring and in fall – to be ready for stronger demand in summer and winter. But as you can see on ERCOT’s website, demand is set to hover well below available capacity, so there shouldn’t be any issue.

One thing though, just additionally here, is that you have forward power prices so you can bet on these prices into the future. And forward Texas power prices for August are already surging. So some are pricing in or speculating on the power grid being potentially under threat as we hit the peak of summer demand. So starting to ramp up from here.

Texas Standard : I was just going to ask about the longer term. I mean, you have some investors obviously betting that we’re going to see price spikes by August. What about ERCOT? Have you heard anything about their projections for rising demand through the summer?

Smith: Well, obviously they’re expecting strong demand to be coming through. We’re likely hitting records again.

The bigger picture, though, is that even sort of by 2030, grid demand for ERCOT is expected to have to double from 2020 levels to meet rising demand across the state. And so while you have the population increase coming through, demand growth in Texas is expected to come from a whole plethora of different sources.

So including artificial intelligence, data centers, industrial demand, the oil and gas sector, a burgeoning hydrogen economy, electric vehicles… you name it is going to be adding to demand. So, that’s a longer term challenge for ERCOT.

Texas Standard : Yeah. Well, absolutely. And something else to consider: I don’t know how this factors in, but I know we’ve been hearing a lot about hurricane season and that it’s shaping up to be a doozy, apparently. Do you think that’s going to have an impact?

Smith: So, I don’t want to scaremonger, but you’ve had the University of Pennsylvania that has come out and is predicting a record number of storms, and they’ve described this hurricane season as hyper active, which isn’t kind of the adjective you want to hear about the hurricane season.

So they’re predicting between 27 to 39 named tropical storms. That’s the most in their 15 year history. And to put that in context, that’s double the number of typical storms that we see. We normally see an average of 14 named storms with about half of those developing to hurricanes.

The other concern is the University of Pennsylvania is not predicting this in isolation. You have Colorado State University, well renowned for their projections, calling for a rough hurricane season as well. They’re not calling for as high as the University of Pennsylvania, but they’re calling for 23. So again, that’s a significantly higher number than the usual 14.

So all in all, not looking great.

Texas Standard : How does hurricane season affect power supply and demand?

Smith: Oh, gosh. Well, it really depends on where the hurricane will hit.

So we’ll have activity ramping up in late August to peak around September 10, when we’re almost guaranteed to have a named storm in the Atlantic. And then it typically drops after that.

But, in terms how we see these storms impacting the power, demand and supply side of things, it really depends on where it hits. It can knock out the refineries, which means lower demand, but it can hit power stations, etc.

And so the the big takeaway is it causes a huge amount of unknowns. And so that’s just a big concern going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005