Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Coming within 1000 MW of grid disaster? Not great, not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Books about slavery in our historic plantation gift shops?

The Texas Historical Commission Removed Books on Slavery From Plantation Gift Shops
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/texas-historical-commission-book-removal/

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
With all the poo poo going down in this state, how come you don't hear more about organized, active resistance? Stuff like the following:

Move away if you can, or help those at higher risk (women, LGBT, immigrants, etc.) to move.
General strikes, work slowdowns.
Don't pay your (state) taxes, or delay as much as possible.
Don't pay state fees (permits, fishing licenses, hunting licenses, etc.)
Don't make major purchases in state.
Don't do business with companies that are donors to state officials.
Boycott companies with major investments in TX.
Urge out-of-state companies and organizations to not hold major events in TX or travel to TX.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 10, 2023

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Putting politics aside for a moment, Austin is hot, crowded, expensive (by Texas standards), difficult to get around in, and except for a few particular spots, mostly devoid of natural beauty or historic architecture. Whenever I come back to Austin after a vacation to some other part of the country (which for me is usually in the summer), I'm immediately depressed by how flat, hot, and brown it is. As far as transportation improvements, we've been talking about light rail for 20+ years but it never seems to come. As far as culture, I guess we still have quite a bit of live music if that's your thing, and we have SXSW and F1 and other stuff that really seems to be meant (and priced) for people who don't actually live here.

When it comes to politics, for a long time there was enough of a local liberal flavor in place here to provide some feeling of a buffer against the awful statewide politics. But in recent years, the statewide government has made it very much a point to a) be as awful, unhelpful, and cruel as humanly possible; and, b) gently caress with anything good that larger municipalities like Austin or Houston might try to do to make life better for regular people.

I would still say, if you can afford the housing, Austin might be the least bad place in Texas to live, with possible exception of San Antonio.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
For the Travis County area, below are a few informational resources:

Austin Chronicle Endorsements
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2024-02-16/march-2024-primary-election-endorsements/

Primary information from the AAS:
https://www.statesman.com/story/new...es/72587751007/

Austin League of Women Voters Guide (which doesn't make endorsements, but has interviews with a lot of candidates).
https://lwvaustin.org/Voters-Guide#gsc.tab=0

Early voting ends Friday, regular election day is next Tuesday.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Over/under on when we have state-operated minefields and machine gun turrets up and down the Rio Grande? I say 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

IT BURNS posted:

Oh my loving GOD, didn't HEB save the state after Harvey, the Freeze, Covid, and countless other crises?

The official Republican line on the freeze (and mostly for Covid, too) was that every person/family should be prepared to fend for themselves, and if you died or got sick then you are just a weak beta undeserving of help anyway. HEB actually doing things that help people interferes with the execution of that philosophy.

Edit: I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been a right wing movement to prohibit HEB and other non-medical businesses from administering vaccines.