Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

TXDoT's prime/only solution to increasing traffic problems throughout the state seem to be "build more roads" even though this doesn't work. For comparison's sake, noted progressive utopia Moscow -- the Russian one -- is attempting to solve it's horrendous traffic issue by massively expanding the metro, the bus system, and commuter rail, while plans for congestion pricing and other means of discouraging car travel are on the table. Good job Texas!

Great, know that Dan Patrick knows Moscow is doing it, Texas is going to not do it even harder. Thanks a lot, guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Happy Juneteenth, y'all! I would say expect some racist things from the various GOP lights in our great state, but most people probably don't even know today is special. :smith:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Elotana posted:

Resentment of the top 10% qualifiers from majority-minority schools because dadgummit my 40th percentile son could run rings around Those People, where's his scholarship! (Not that any of them actually volunteer to live in those neighborhoods and attend those schools to test this theory, mind you.)

Working for UT admissions, I heard this all the goddamn time from people who either sent their kids to private schools that didn't rank (St. Mary's Hall in San Antonio, St. Andrew's in Austin, etc) or kids who went to Memorial High School in Houston. They all had resumes with lots of mission trips and studying abroad and all that poo poo. I hated having to admit them when normal kids who just did band and some AP classes at their public school might have to miss out.

Don't send this post to Wallace Hall, TIA.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

So noted Big Aggie Jerk Rick Perry seems to have finally gotten his way on the UT Austin President's job and Powers will step down in June 2015. If you haven't been following this, Perry has always hated Powers, but a few years back when Perry tried to force some so-called "Seven Breakthrough Solutions" crafted by an old buddy of his (if you're curious they're just bog-standard conservative reform principles intended to businessify public education like ranking teachers on "cost-effectiveness" (salary and grant awards divided by students taught) and using MOOCs for everything) Powers has been standing up to him and put himself on Perry's poo poo list. The UT Board of Regents, who has firing authority, is 100% Perry appointees and as I expect most of you know have been digging like crazy to find something offensive to their sensibilities in admissions decisions that they could use an excuse to fire him. Apparently about a week ago something changed, and the Chancellor told Powers to submit his resignation or he'd be canned.

June 2015 is after Perry leaves office, but it still means his appointees and Abbott will get the chance to gently caress up the school.

Also hilarious is that Hutchison (whose new job is apparently head of the UT alumni association) spoke up a few days ago saying Powers needed to stay. Still some bad blood there.

Here are some more links:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/UT-s-Powers-to-stay-on-until-2015-5609518.php
http://chronicle.com/article/Texas-Makes-an-Appalling-Mess/147561/

As a UT alum I'm required to say that Austin is in fact the best Texas city, but SA is leagues ahead of everywhere else. Go Spurs.

Also I feel like I should add that Powers leaving in 2015 is seen as a win for the university, since the Regents were planning on firing him tomorrow, but the alumni org and pretty much everyone who isn't a Regent threw a poo poo fit when we heard about it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lote posted:

I tutored his kid when he was around 8. What's the whole deal with him and the UT admissions?

He's been putting in huge records requests to try and find anything wrong that he can pin on Powers and use to get him fired.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Do you know why they suddenly moved to fire him last week? It seemed like the "resign or be fired" ultimatum came out of nowhere. Did Hall finally find something bad that happened at one point in the last decade?

I imagine it has something to do with the investigation Cigarroa opened up into admissions across the UT System last week or something. Kids who have state reps write recommendation letters were generally getting into law school at a higher rate. What Powers has to do with this I'm not really sure, but they just want him out.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I work downtown so it's mostly for selfish, traffic related reasons that I wish he'd gently caress off.

I worked downtown for a year, and as soon as SXSW rolled around I decided that poo poo was for suckers. All I heard was how much people from other places just hated Austin and how lovely everything was. Well, gently caress off back home if it's so terrible! Maybe that way I can actually commute to work.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cercadelmar posted:

Seriously? That's pretty scary to hear about, ever since those militia killed that one family a few years back I'm really antsy about that sort of thing. Also, what's up fellow RGV and McAllen goons?

Rick Perry and Hannity recently went on a trip down the Rio Grande where they posed with a machine gun. Thanks for helping, guys!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Get another cable provider!

You know how long it took TWC to carry the Longhorn Network in Austin? Like a year and a half.

To be fair it always seemed to me like the Longhorn Network was a dumb idea, but I didn't follow it that closely.

Also Powers himself isn't the best guy in the world, mainly because of the Shared Services stuff he's been trying to push (http://kxan.com/2014/04/24/university-of-texas-shared-service-is-not-outsourcing/). I get why he's doing it, but it's hard to go along with cutting 500 jobs from UT, especially when the kind of people they're cutting were so helpful during my time at UT. But I'm happy to stand up for him against the Regents. Is there any news on the articles of impeachment for Hall?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

UT was the only place I applied since I was top 10% and didn't really care about going anywhere else. I think living in Austin cost more than the tuition.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Admiral William H. McRaven will be the new chancellor of the UT System, replacing Cigarroa. Story here. You might know him from Osama bin Laden being dead. We will see if he takes similar measures with the other regents.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Perry's been indicted by a grand jury for abuse of power over his veto for Public Integrity Unit funding :getin:

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/08/15/grand-jury-indicts-perry-abuse-authority/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

i guess we know why he didn't run again.

Well he's going to run for president so I don't think this is why.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

Was just about to post this! Will this have any reaching effects to the whole debacle with the UT Board of Regents vs Bill Powers? Crazy to see this on the heels of all that Gov. Goodhair press that had been going on for the last few months.

That's over, for now. The investigation committee decided to simply "censure" Hall instead of impeaching him, though they maintain they could do this later (they won't). Powers is gone next year by mutual agreement, and I'm afraid his replacement will be awful.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I'd be surprised if he gets convicted but adios mofo to his Presidential chances.

Really? I think this kind of stuff is perfect for playing the victim to the left-wing witch hunt out to get him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Xarthor posted:

Between the recent Perry news and a recent Reuters poll showing Wendy 8 points behind Abbott any of you starting to think her win is completely out of the realm of possibility?

Yes.

Is Perry's case going to turn on whether he vetoed the funding because he was trying to achieve some political goal as opposed to vetoing to try and preserve the integrity of the DA's office?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do they not spend out of the RDF simply because Spending Bad, or are they trying to do something else with it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Where is our Texan Gingrich to propose a series of Lincoln-Douglas debates with a moderator but no timer (or was it a timer but no moderator)?

I can't say I'm terribly broken up by there not being a debate, it would have been uninformative and Davis still wouldn't win unless Abbott started eating a baby on stage. Does anyone remember the Patrick/Castro debate about immigration? What a shitshow.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It always blows my mind that Texas used to have multi-member districts.

Austin just stopped electing all its city council members at-large this year. We're doing them by district for the first time ever this November.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The "gentleman's agreement" over the council seats was the easiest institutional example of Austin's segregation without a map.

At least now it's explicit, I guess.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm in 9, which is mostly rich white people but also East Riverside and some east of I-35. Both of the candidates are current council members and I'm not really sure which to choose. I'm leaning towards Kathie Tovo at the moment since she has endorsements from Austin Black Democrats and the Austin labor group (I have no idea what it's called). I've got a friend running in District 4 and he might actually win.

Also, did anyone go to the police violence forum on Tuesday? That was awkward as hell.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

I'm in 3, and I have no idea how I'm going to decide on a candidate, there seem to be quite a lot here and there's not too much difference between them at first blush.

E:

3 has some '04 too. :colbert:

Jesus, are those people all going to be on the ballot? My district only has 3 candidates.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

What on earth does the libertarian candidate mean by 'ending protectionism (reduces traffic)'?

I went to the KLRU mayoral debate, Todd Phelps' idea for Austin traffic was "make I-35 bigger plus uber" :bravo:

Also Randall Phillips or whatever the gently caress is name is is so goddamn sad. Steve Adler was very, very scripted but his script said things I liked.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah get rid of the upper lower deck split.

There is nothing that you can do about Austin traffic that won't lead to a three year ultimate clusterfuck due to road closures and construction.

Put it all underground and integrate east and west :getin:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, I don't think building condos in hyde park is exactly decentralization.

But, when we get the money to buy MOPAC from UP, the commuter rail you want is going to happen: http://www.lonestarrail.com

Also, Austin originally was going to have a way better freeway system, but those darn NIMBY "freeways destroy communities crowd" stopped it.

(red lines are proposed freeways)

Imagine how much better Austin would be if Cesar Chavez was a freeway! Or if there'd been a freeway just west of Lamar from the Capitol to 183!

That is a thing that freeways do, though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I used to commute to downtown from Georgetown.

jfc.

I commuted from Hyde Park to downtown and that was too much for me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Petition for thread name change to "wrap it up, y'all."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone going to Trib Fest this weekend?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm going but I don't think I'm excited as last year. The "Latinos and GOP" panel is all hispanic Republicans. Which I suppose is fair, but a lot less funny.

edit: do you capitalize hispanic or not?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't there some weird quirk of Texas history where the Legislature didn't like the governor at one point and took away a lot of his power and gave it to the Lt. Gov.? So the Lt. Gov. is more powerful than the Gov.?

Yes, until the governor has been in power for 14 years and appointed everyone in the state.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think her "at what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues" was the thing that started the insane cheering that finished out Davis' filibuster, but I might be remembering wrong.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Let's all hope for some misogyny to make this race interesting.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah because last time he ran it helped Rick Perry win reelection with <50% of the vote.

I've been bitter since the "dream team" if you can't tell.

Why is it his fault and not Carole Keeton Strayhorn?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Someone please post if Greg Abbott calls Davis a bitch or something, because otherwise this is probably one of the least important things happening in the state tonight.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Statewide unfunded plastic bag mandate.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Abbot you are the dumbest motherfucker to ever live:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/texas-politics/2014/10/greg-abbott-texas-gay-marriage-ban-reduces-out-of-wedlock-births/

Writing in a brief filed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday, Abbott said the state was not obligated to prove why gay marriage might be detrimental to the economic or social well-being of Texans. It was only required to show how opposite-sex marriage would be more beneficial for its citizens.

gently caress you

Does this mean he thinks every gay marriage means two lost heterosexual marriages?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How do we feel about Amendment 1? I was planning on voting for because we need to use the rainy day fund for something, but I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

If you live in Austin please vote for Prop 1.

But it's not on the right route!!!!!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

They always put bullshit locations nobody likes to vote at on the first day. Universities won't get polling stations until the 26.

Where do you live? UT has one on campus and another like 2 blocks away (from the edge of campus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I only had three candidates, but two of them were Tovo and Riley.