Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I hate Perry as much as the next guy, but I feel that "I'm going to defund the PUBLIC INTEGRITY Unit, if the PUBLIC INTEGRITY Unit is still lead by THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY WHO JUST GOT OUT OF A 20 DAY JAIL SENTENCE FOR DUI.", is a pretty defensible position.

"I'm going to defund the PUBLIC INTEGRITY Unit, if the PUBLIC INTEGRITY Unit currently investigating me is still lead by THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF TRAVIS COUNTY and appoint one myself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dahn posted:

Why federal law enforcement was involved, is the really curious thing. I understand the "Old Coots piss off a judge, and get to visit him in court" part of this. But why the Feds??

quote:

Jarnecke's group, the subject of a half-hour YouTube documentary, maintains a small working government, including official currency, congress and courts.

Though that would be the secret service and not the FBI.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

It's mostly new leadership trying to set a narrative.

However, it's not that new. Every session they talk about property tax cuts. It's massively pandering to people because everyone wants lower taxes. Kevin Eltife, who is one of just a handful of moderate Republicans left in the Legislature, has been going off about how irresponisble the last 10 years of fiscal policy has been.

I think he's the only Senate republican that didn't sign on as a cosponsor for the big tax cut package they trotted out this week.

Basically, the state has maintained its low tax rate artificially by bonding the gently caress out of state revenue and being lucky with energy prices keeping oil and gas severance taxes high. Well, the "true conservative" value is pay-as-you-go, and making hard choices like raising taxes if there are services you have to pay for. But because new revenue streams are non starters and state services are already cut to the bone, the only place they can make up the need for revenue is through bond issuance. That's why this new revenue stream for transpo funding is so important (even though it's ultimately completely inadquate). Texas has been paying for road M&O through bonds, and at this point they are completely out of bonding authority. There's no other place to get money without raising taxes. The Texas finance system is a giant shell game where you move money from pot to pot and defer payments and push numbers into differing fiscal years and it's really just not "conservative" at all.

Maybe they can just start selling off roads to private companies and charge to raise the speed limit?