Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

sexpig by night posted:

yep that's what me saying 'yea I get it but still lame' is, now I actively want Beto to get thrown off the ticket half way through the race so Quanell X can take his place.

Posters in the Trump thread were complaining about how Beto hasn't specifically said the words "I support Medicare For All" so yes, SA's more-leftist-than-thou posters are already winding up to bitch about how a better candidate would have awoken the proletariat and defeated Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

How on earth does Bexar County of all places not have someone translating copy?

Bet the translator pronounces it "becks-are".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Welp, guess I'm a Ted Cruz man now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Who would have thought that just waiting in the wings for the right moment is not actually a viable political strategy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is there polling on what people think about universal health care, not Medicare For All? Because I somehow doubt the people being asked whether support it in that poll are coming at it from "Having considered both Sanders' and Conyer's bills as well other as other UHC options, I do believe that M4A is the only feasible path" and not just "Hell yeah, I want universal healthcare and I'm gonna say yes to any plan that moves towards it".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sir Tonk posted:

never forget

jesus christ Bag of Wasps (R-Texas) tore somebody's heart out and is liquefying it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
hope is a lie hope is a lie hope is a lie

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Don't think Abbott hikes much tbh.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

disjoe posted:

gently caress Greg Abbott

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Quandary posted:

Beto up by 79 votes right now Jesus this is close

Harris County hasn't reported in yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Panty Saluter posted:

Looks all but locked for Abbott. Balls.

The only way Lupe won was if Beto had the largest coattails in US history.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

theCalamity posted:

I totally forgot that Abbott was up for reelection.

lol

Lupe Valdez: You Probably Forgot It Was A Gubernatorial Year

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
:siren:MAXIMUM HOPE ALERT:siren:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
^^^^Hell loving yes. Austin DSA campaigned hard on this. Unfortunately, their city council candidate in Lewis Conway Jr. lost.

Someone get that tweet about the result in Texas being great for Texas Dems and disappointing for everyone else cause people in the main thread are acting like Beto was a shoe-in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I. M. Gei posted:

There’s still a lot of votes not counted yet right?

RIGHT???

None that will be primarily Beto.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ideally, Beto doesn't pull an Obama and dismantle his GOTV operation. This night is proof that Texas is pushing left and part of that is that his campaign worked their asses off getting people to the polls. I'm not certain what should be next for Beto the candidate but his campaign needs to become the new backbone for Texas Dems.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Progressives did better than centrists across the country so you'd think but then you got Pelosi talking about the "bipartisan marketplace of ideas" so I don't trust them to take the right lessons.

The next fight needs to be pressuring Reps to not buy into Pelosi's bipartisan bullshit. I'm normally accepting of Pelosi because of her skill as a whip, but for her to immediately come out and :decorum: is unacceptable.

I don't know if AOC is the right figure to start rallying a progressive caucus around, but she's should be the model.

EDIT: Thought this was USPOL but whatever, still applies.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1060250758644465664

lol
His wife was on Fox and Friends the other day directly appealing to the president for a pardon

I wouldn't be surprised if he does cause Trump probably doesn't want consequences for people who use charitable donations for expenses and campaigns.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

*shoves Straus out the door while shouting "hope the door of the capitol doesn't hit you in the rear end on your way out"

*he doesn't spend any money in 2018*

"you... monster"

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1060706827552350208

Yeah, I'm sure Joe Strauss is super-bummed to start purging the Republican party of chuds.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

i say swears online posted:

i thought ben retired a decade ago

He stopped drawing daily for the Statesman, but he still puts out comics every so often.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

"Lemme go talk to my presidential exploratory committee and get back to you"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

i say swears online posted:

Heaven Is For Real

On the other hand, you're in the part of Dallas that gets really upset if you call them part of Dallas.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TropicalCoke posted:

Chili is an amorphous beast that can have anything added to it as long as its majority meat and spicy

But Not Tonight posted:

bursts through the door breathlessly

tomatoes are ok in chili!! beans are not!!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I can't find it but somebody posted

quote:

beto, good for Texas
beto good, for Texas

At some point and that's always been the perfect summary of him as a candidate imo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Notable border community San Antonio

Texas Politics: I don't think they grasp how big this state is yet

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The list's sole purpose was to generate the headline "58,000 ILLEGAL VOTES" and it succeeded so yeah no poo poo he's gonna keep doing it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Play football against us you cowards

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Texas schools (prolly American schools in general but I only know Texas) place a greater value and prestige on the school's extracurricular programs than its academics so yeah, if your school's families have the money to throw around then whoooo boy. When he graduates, little Johnny will think the Civil War was about states' rights but he'll have had the shiniest trumpet for all four years of band.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
At least at my high school, the football team was a total loving disaster even after multiple head coaches so a lot of attention got paid to the band instead.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

But if the state/districts can't deal with public labor unions, who do the teachers' unions collectively bargain with?

Yossarian let out a respectful whistle.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
All that said, it's clearly a law aimed at keeping single schools or districts from striking. If Texas teachers organize a mass, state-wide strike, the law will be unenforceable because you'd be firing almost every teacher in the state.

Direct action is rarely about respecting laws.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Spacebump posted:

Why does a member of Congress from East Texas need to comment on a mass shooting in New Zealand?

Gohmert's a media hog.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Buc-ee's hot food is legit as well, better than a lot of fast food if a little pricey.

When one opened in my hometown, there was a lot of grousing about it would drive out locally owned gas stations. But it blows lovely dingy mom-and-pop stations out of the water, so :capitalism:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

"After years of meekly dissembling, I have determined that THIS YEAR is the time to unleash my long awaited major campa- AW gently caress"

lmao
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1112749406678323206

"Please town hall"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Biden gets knocked out by this building sexpest scandal, I'm guessing it's going to be a big boost to Beto. He's the next most charismatic radical centrist.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The only thing that matters to Trump is ratings. He's doing this close the border poo poo cause he thinks it's sweeps week and the more cable news is talking about him, the better chance he has of getting renewed.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Oh yeah they're totally murdering babies but I can't square that view with my lived experience of interacting with struggling women who had abortions so I'm just gonna sit on this fence here."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The only people who enjoy insulting Austin more than the Legislature is literally everyone else in Texas.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Solve the homeless problem by exiling everyone who lives west of 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

but as a native Oklahoman