Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Heh

quote:

Drivers Licenses- We propose that every Texas driver’s license shall indicate whether the driver is a United States citizen. No such license shall be issued to anyone not legally in the country.

quote:

Real ID Act-As the Real ID Act effectively creates an unconstitutional and privacy-inhibiting national ID card, we hereby call for its immediate repeal
ID's: critical voter-integrity device or Orwellian Mark of the Beast? Who knows? The Texas GOP sure doesn't!

quote:

Article V Convention- Under no circumstances shall the Bill of Rights, the first 10 constitutional amendments, be changed in any manner

quote:

Remedies to Activist Judiciary- We call Congress and the President to use their constitutional powers to restrain activist judges. We urge Congress to adopt the Judicial Conduct Act of 2005, and remove judges who abuse their authority. Further, we urge Congress to withhold Supreme Court jurisdiction in cases involving abortion, religious freedom, and the Bill of Rights.
The Bill of Rights is essential to our liberty and under no circumstances may the be changed, oh and also judges shouldn't be able to stop us from violating the gently caress out of the first 10 amendments. And boy do we ever want violate the gently caress out of them and piss on the corpse!

quote:

Flag Desecration- Any form of desecration of the American Flag is an act of disregard for our nation and its people, and penalties should be established for such.

quote:

Homosexuality- Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that have been ordained by God in the Bible, recognized by our nation’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle

Hahaha, holy poo poo this is cracking me up

quote:

Voting Rights- We support equal suffrage for all United States citizens of voting age who are not felons. We oppose any identification of citizens by race, origin, or creed and oppose use of any such identification for purposes of creating voting districts.

quote:

Voter Rights Act- We urge that the Voter Rights Act of 1965, codified and updated in 1973, be repealed and not reauthorized
We support equal suffrage for all US citizens, a right so important that it must not be enforced or protected in any way!

quote:

Higher Education- We oppose the use of quotas, diversity, and the ten percent rule. We support Texas college admissions based solely on merit.
:confused:What? How is the ten percent rule not merit-based? Do some schools run a lottery to see who gets the top 10% of GPAs?

quote:

Foster Care- We support eliminating bureaucratic prohibitions on corporal discipline and home schooling in foster homes.
Child Abuse- We recognize the family as a sovereign authority over which the state has no right to intervene, unless a parent or legal guardian has committed criminal abuse. Child abusers should be severely prosecuted. We oppose actions of social agencies to classify traditional methods of discipline, including corporal punishment, as child abuse.

All right, I can't do this anymore. What the gently caress is with the pro-child-beating planks? I mean okay, you want to whip your kids, does that really need to be in the state political platform? Twice?!?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

There a shitload of these districts. So really any :bahgawd: from Upshur County can get on the committee and insert a plank supporting mandatory GMO labeling and the nutritional benefits of raw milk. "

I thought the raw milk thing was a joke of yours, but nope, I kept reading and there it is. Along with are freedom to buy incandescent light bulbs :911: because FREEDOM :911:

Oh my God, and a gold standard, repeal of Dodd-Frank, repeal of pinko-communie freedom-hater George W. Bush's Sarbanes-Oxley Act, eliminating citizenship-by-birth :gop:, making US war crimes immune to courts martial, bringing back Reagan's Star Wars, Benghazibenghazibenghazi, unilaterally recognizing Taiwanese sovereignty (despite the wishes of the Taiwanese, obviously)...

Goddamn, what a ride. It started out with me going "Hey yeah, we should roll back the Patriot Act" and "Yes, I agree the Texas Lottery puts the tax burden on the poor" and then it slowly devolves into unfiltered crazy until I'm left wondering how I got to infowars and can I ever get back.

And then it ends on a bizarrely bittersweet note

quote:

Congressional Apology- The Republican Party of Texas endorses and supports the Proposed Congressional Apology to the Chinese Americans for governmental actions that denied equal rights to and adversely harmed the Chinese in America.
:unsmith:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

As I was saying earlier, I don't think the truly cray-cray stuff reflects the majority view even among the Republicans and certainly not the leadership. It's really the product of a quirk in the way they create the thing, in that it allows a fringe minority to get their pet causes on it, otherwise they sabotage the sausage machine that is the Texas GOP platform process.

I could be overestimating the intelligence of the average Republican, though.

Does anyone even read the thing anyway? That's probably why they don't bother fixing the process. Get all the Jesus and racism in there so the candidates have a list of talking points to rile up the base, and then just figure no one will bother getting all the way down to the freedom to drink milk right from the cow tit while thrashing my son and punching the missus.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think I've seen this posted, but the televised Davis-Abbott debate is tomorrow (Friday) night at 6pm CDT. Davis' site has a list of TV stations boradcasting it in various cities.
http://www.wendydavistexas.com/debate/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I thought he had backed out of it?

If I remember right, he agreed to this one afterwards. Or something. I don't know.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rabble posted:

No that was it. I'll be voting VTP

She could be known for eating live kittens on TV for all I care. Her opponent is theocrat crazyman Dan Patrick :ohdear:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

1stGear posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo patrick just called Wendy Davis an anarchist.

He's also referring to 20-week fetuses as "5-month-old babies" :gop:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

( "I care about women, if they're five month old babies" wasn't bad).

Unless they're Mexican. then gently caress 'em! What if there were only one seat left at UT and the child of an illegal got it because the Democrats let them pay in-state tuition?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How about Dan Patrick's proposal to take care of apartment dwellers by giving the owners of their buildings additional recourse against higher property tax assessments?

Because we all know, when property values go up, if we keep property taxes low, apartment owners will pass those savings on to you! They certainly won't use the hot real estate market in their area to jack rents regardless and sell to the high-income gentrifiers that are moving into the area!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For people who don't care about other cities' local ordinances, the texas legislature sure has a curious number of bills targeting things like Austin's plastic bag ban.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

For Abbot :twisted: Even I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dan Patrick though; I just left it blank. gently caress that guy.

I love that you seem to recognize Dan Patrick is a crazy person yet you somehow can't bring yourself to vote for the obviously better candidate :freep:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 26, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

Come on, I basically cast 1/2 of a vote for her.

That's true. And I appreciate it.

Incidentally I wonder, if Literally Hitler got the GOP nomination, by how many votes would he win Texas because :airquote:moderate:airquote: Republicans went "Well I won't vote for Hitler but I sure as hell won't vote for no Demmycrat! :freep:"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

While I respect your thoughts, :godwin: tells me that you just lost the argument

Nope Godwin's Law is about comparisons, ie figuratively Hitler. I was discussing what would happen if the Texas GOP nominated Literally Hitler. :c00lbert:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rabble posted:

"When a guy in a wheelchair can move faster than Austin traffic...", a direct quote from one of Abbott's ads.

I cry for the future of the Abbott/Patrick Texas.

From the number of times Greg Abbott's ads bring up his weelchair, you'd think it was the actual candidate.

But don't point out that he fights tooth and nail against Texas paying to put in a single wheelchair ramps in public buildings besides Abbott's office because how dare you make a man's disability into a campaign issue?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...black people voting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know, how does a campaign against women's health win women by 10 points?

:smithicide:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

XCPuff posted:

I voted for Davis. I almost didn't because of her commercial where she stated she wanted to raise the minimum wage.

gently caress that.

We sure wouldn't want to be a living-wage hellhole like Seattle.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

1stGear posted:

"Hey, Austin is the fastest growing city in the country. What should we do about that?"

"CERTAINLY NOT IMPROVE OUR INFRASTRUCTURE!"

*slaps palms against their chest*

But it was the wrong route, so better to wait another 14 years to try again when everything is even worse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So is there any way the Austin city council can get a rail project done or is there some arcane reason that it has to be a ballot initiative to happen?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How much do you think the Capitol building will go for? I bet we could hawk that and build a sweet rail without having to vote on any bonds.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

If East Austin is so tired of being poo poo on why doesn't it just secede and form its' own municipality?

Poor parts of the country seceding to rule themselves don't have a good track record of success.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

Dallas posted:

Mah bags :cry:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You forgot the third best part: watching good ol' boy "small government", "local decision-making" conservatives run crying to Austin, begging the state to come in and pass a state law to stop cities from passing ordinances about plastic bags that they don't like.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Another year of our state government wasting time loving around with cities and bitching about Austin and California.

Austin Statesman posted:

Declaring that freedom and private property rights should not be bound by city lines, Gov.-elect Greg Abbott on Thursday called for doing away with a “patchwork quilt” of local bans on everything from paper and plastic bags to fracking that he said threatens to turn Texas into California.

“Texas is being Californianized and you may not even be noticing it,” Abbott said, addressing a downtown Austin conference hosted by the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, an influential think tank. “It’s being done at the city level with bag bans, fracking bans, tree-cutting bans. We’re forming a patchwork quilt of bans and rules and regulations that is eroding the Texas model.”

“Now think about it,” Abbott said. “Few things are more important in Texas than private property rights, yet some cities are telling districts that you don’t own some of the things of your own property that you have bought and purchased and owned for along time — things like trees.”

“This is a form of collectivism,” said Abbott, who will be inaugurated as governor on Jan. 20. “Some cities claim that trees that are on private property belong to the city, not the private property owner.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

This doesn't do away with local bans does it? Because that's loving nonsense.

The plan is to pass a state law (like Oklahoma's law banning municipal minimum wage laws) to overturn local bans.

Because local government is only good until it does something Republicans don't like.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes! I've got a whole book of laws I'd love to see the legislature pass!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Those people realize that they did indeed come and take it, right?

"Remember the Alamo!"
"Al, we lost at the Alamo"
"No one remembers that!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

To her credit (uggghhh feel so dirty), Governor Mary Fallin has indicated she will probably not sign the history-ban bill even if it passes because she's concerned denying students college credit will hurt their college career.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

“They weren’t making a living selling piñatas; they were selling something else. I don’t want to speculate what that is.” However, he went on to suggest that it was likely “uncontrolled substances.” “That’s just my opinion, though,” French stated.

I don't understand, what's wrong with selling uncontrolled substances? :confused: Don't all stores do that, since selling controlled substances requires permits or is just plain illegal?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QwertyAsher posted:

Every white person in austin probably needs to be up against the wall

Fixed for D&D

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But...we already have an RFRA

Are we just going to add anti-gay language to ours in a somehow even-less-plausible gambit than Indiana's?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even Rick Perry is ragging Abbott over this.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rick-perry-chides-texas-governor-over-jade-helm-ok-to-question-govt-but-not-military/

Rick Perry posted:

“It’s OK to question your government. I do it on a regular basis. But the military is something else,” Perry said, per the Dallas Morning News. “Our military is quite trustworthy. The civilian leadership, you can always question that, but not the men and women in uniform.”

When even Rick Perry is going "dude, aren't you getting a bit too paranoid about Obama", maybe you're getting just a bit too paranoid about Obama.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Funny thing is he's all backwards from the way the system was set up and no one is going to bother calling him out on it. We have civilian leadership of our military precisely because people did question the military and didn't want to give it too much power.

I'm going to give Perry the benefit of the doubt and assume he means "accusing the army of plotting a coup is insane and an insult to servicemembers" and not "the military can do no wrong, ever".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Glad to see the ledg taking up the critical issues:

Brand it on their foreheads and hang mirrors in the voting booth so they can be reminded where their health insurance comes from in every election. And so they realize whom Republicans mean when they campaign on throwing the moochers off the government tit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Randandal posted:

As much as I hate the current legislature anything that pisses off people from Austin is probably a good law

Yeah gently caress the poor that will really stick it to those yuppie hipster assholes.

E: oh didn't realize it was the racist pizza delivery boy, I guess hating on people on assistance is an end in itself here

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like it when people seem to recognize the conservative policies they support are horrible, so they justify it to themselves not on the merits of conservatism because there aren't any, but "well liberals are just so smug and superior so you see I really only vote for racism, classism, and homophobia because liberals have such an attitude problem that I can't support them."

No sorry, you're a conservative and you like conservative policies. No one supports policies they dislike just to get even with those irritating hipsters.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I hate the free market.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

Actually people shouldn't be compelled to pay taxes for things they disagree with :)

Except wars, right.

Or do you want all taxes to be voluntary. "Please enter the percentage of the US budget to which you don't have moral objections and reduce your taxes due to this percentage. No lying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Was the implementation deeply flawed, or do you just oppose the idea of limiting the police's ability to harass minorities?

Minorities get gunned down for just holding a weapon in open-carry states, even if it's a toy gun and they're 12 years old, because it's understood that anyone darker than a manila folder will always be seen as a reasonable threat to a police officer's life.

"Constitutional" carry is whites-only carry and everyone knows it.