Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Big, big fan of that libertarian's selfie game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Captain Monkey posted:

Hottest take ever written

Isn't Ted's favorite food like, microwaved tomato soup or something?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The thing about whiteness is that it can expand and contract when necessary and Cruz -- being Cuban -- codes white, but the maintenance of white supremacy is and always has been a core value of the Texas right.

That's not all of course. And I think that's mainly a reflection of the divide in industries concentrated in rural and exurban parts of Texas -- in which wealth is largely rooted in land and property -- and the growing urban professional industries that have a more socially liberal outlook. So as a result the suburbs are becoming increasingly contested as there's a mix.

The base of the Republican Party is also in these middle-class suburbs among people who have most of their wealth tied up in their homes. They stress conventional nuclear families. They will resist any attempt to redistribute their wealth into the hands of the poor. I've time-stamped this video involving an affordable housing fight in Frisco that really sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCxSnY1cak&t=695s

lmao

right-wing grifters try to grift, but liberal grifters were born in it... molded by it

That video rules. "It sounds bad but I don't mean it in a bad way" when she just totally writes off the idea of a poor kid going to a good school near her as they are not of the same.. 'class' as... you and me...

When she draws the parallel that poor people seeking affordable housing near good schools that upper middle class people go to is the same as an upper middle class person seeking a yacht/private jet since that's what richer people have.

This is why democratic candidates getting seats was a HUGE surprise and makes me optimisitic for the future. But like democrats for the last 40 years, we are forever doomed to be disappointed.

General Dog posted:

Are you telling me people who have most of their net worth tied up on their home are against policies that would decrease the value of their home?

The value of your home isn't the only consideration in politics/life.

e: Well, it shouldn't be at least.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 8, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sometimes people have interesting or cool starts or approaches but zero adaptability and the moment things don’t go as they expected they just check the gently caress out. Early stages of the depression had a lot of out-of-touch money-havers hand-wave it away and sit in their parlors waiting for things to change direction. Hoot-Smawley was, for example, an attempt at protecting domestic producers for some reason and demonstrated a severe lack on understanding (or lack of giving a poo poo) about what was causing the depression. Eerily similar to the 9/11 tax cuts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sir Tonk posted:

at least they werent cowards

Woof

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guns? Land mines? Something bloody?

I voted and everyone wore masks but a poll worker pulled her mask down to listen to me better which made no sense. An old white guy leaned real close to a nice Latina lady and said something that had her laughing so hard she had to take off her mask.

Despite those two events it was altogether just fine, and there seemed to not be too many chud-looking folks running around in north Dallas.

Also, I checked my ballot about 10 times. It’s concerning I feel the need to compulsively check and re-check my ballot, but whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shifty Pony posted:

The touchscreen with printed ballot machines in Austin are Expressvote machines.

So much better than the dumb wheel things.

This is what we used and, yeah, it was Just Fine. No problems at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i say swears online posted:

the developer line is a good point, but otherwise: go gently caress yourself. the future is ours, old man

Nobody I know likes driving to work and wants to abandon driving completely, if there are public transportation options available. Expanding options is always, always a good idea in my opinion because loving nobody likes to drive in urban areas of Texas.

Driving a car to work loving sucks most of the time.

That letter comes off as "doddering old fool sneers at things he cannot grasp", and just lol at thinking that people planning an infrastructure project around public transit might potentially include, almost exclusively, people who do not like driving cars and instead like the cheaper, more effective, cleaner public transit. The gall, to do this without even consulting the people who will not ever step foot in a bus ever. gently caress that dude.

Also, "taxpayer watchdog groups" are about 90% tea party people in my experience.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just noticed Texas has had fewer covid cases than California (not as much as the population gap would suggest ofc) but more deaths. Not entirely surprising but very frustrating. I guess this is the result of places like RGV having abysmal access to healthcare?

I think Texas has had one of the more... egregious examples of reporting spikes of "pneumonia" and other illnesses to avoid saying the C-word.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rarely do they remove laws from the books, partially because the sections might get wonky. If they remove this provision and want to add a new provision do you put it in the same spot? If a new spot, why even get rid of the first one, it's not actually law.

If you ever get arrested and they charge you with violation of the sodomy law, you get an instant win because of Lawrence v. Texas-- you almost assuredly won't even go to court or need to assert it and the judge/DA will likely shame the attorney/cop who charged you. Nobody on either side likes to remove laws for some reason. I believe politicians are some of the laziest people imaginable, which is fitting since most people want the people in charge of government to "help or gently caress off" and they looooove to pick the latter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blotto_Otter posted:

I think that "instant win" is not what most people would use to describe something that starts out with "getting arrested and charged". You've already taken an L as soon as the cuffs went on.

Mistaken Frisbee just covered two big reasons why: so that a primary challenger can't run ads saying "State Rep. So-and-so voted for sodomy!!", and in the off chance that it ever gets revived in a court ruling some day.

That's fair. I don't do criminal law so I have the wrong perspective on how people interact with the justice system.

I did some digging and state Republicans continue to say 'no' to state Dems trying to remove that law, specifically, from the books. Apparently they've tried every single session since Lawrence v. Texas and the Republicans continue to say no and it just dies in committee. It could be that they have an ulterior motive or that they're afraid they'll get primaried because of it or something but, almost certainly, it's because they just really hate gay people and Democrats. Thankfully the courts are a bit more reasonable and even the ban on sex toys is considered by a state court as prima facie unconstitutional.

But yeah, I realize it's a legitimate fear that this law might cause some damage down the line whether it ends up in a conviction or not. I'm so sorry people have to deal with this poo poo, constant anxiety and fear, because of republicans :smith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Being broke rules, just ask all the people that refuse to stop being broke!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The "enthusiastic voters" waiting until election day are the people who intend to vote hundreds of time for Donald Trump, of course. The most patriotic of Americans you see.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

13 circuits, one justice from each one. Each circuit nominates their own judges for SCOTUS internally, confirmed by the senate. Presidential veto available or not, gently caress it.

gently caress this quid pro quo poo poo. ACB and Kavanaugh probably feel they owe Trump one.

Then everyone can see how absurd the 5th circuit is. No need to divest my oil interests before ruling on all the oil cases.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the point of those is to bother/annoy/remind people who lean democrat or re in any way associated to make sure they vote. Democrats are flighty voters but Republicans are guarantees.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pride maybe? I don’t know but despite his failed bid I was a big fan of his mobilization efforts and am really happy he decided to keep on trying to get Texans to vote/care about politics because holy poo poo do we not give a gently caress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He’s better than a lot of higher ups in the DNC for actually getting voters. His same philosophy about Texas’s voter behavior (it’s not a Republican state it’s a non-voting state) is true for the US as a whole. I bet if voting was compulsory we’d see a whole lot less of the GOP.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How will we find out, ultimately, the ratio of mail-in ballots versus in-person votes? And when, I guess? That’s gonna be the determinant here.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TX is consistently staying close it’s basically a battleground if Democrats would spend some loving time doing things here. TX Dems have been strategically losing TX since, like, ‘08.

Beto come back!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah man woof.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know the vote count but if nobody votes or there are new electors in favor of Trump replacing Dems that didn’t vote, you’ll see a shift like that.

There’s a quote by some GOP piece of poo poo that says a non-vote is a +1 and a vote for Trump is a +2 for Republicans. A previous voter not voting is worth so much to Republicans, and Trump has apparently inspired a lot of new voters too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think 2016 had muted turnout on both sides and 2020 reversed that? Maybe?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am always concerned that the Police are checking the CO border for people doing a weed Costco run but I imagine they could give a gently caress and are happy giving $200 speeding tickets instead.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always figured the USPS screens for drugs but then I remember there was trillions of dollars of drugs being sold over the internet using the mail and they only catch the dealers with computer things.

But yeah don’t personally carry enough drugs to carry an intent to distribute charge.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SlothfulCobra posted:

R crime is legal. That's official policy.

At least he's not molesting teenagers or attempting homicide I guess.

He killed a shitload of Americans by sitting on his rear end, that's homicide in a way

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Trumps are going to loving devour the Republican Party lol

Trumpers are going to look for traitors in their midst and will start shooting indiscriminately

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think hog hunting is a bipartisan effort. poo poo I’d imagine even the most gun-shy democrats would have an exception for boar hunting, it’s basically an existential crisis for a lot of people and the environment as a whole.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Do these people think that trump actually controls the gas price

A stupid amount of people think the President is the entire government, and all power flows from him and his will. Like they were born to be royalists. It's weird as poo poo.

Trump was one of these people before he became President I think. He probably, truly thought that Obama was an ordained king with no checks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i say swears online posted:

a heartbeat, mid-level 2 years as a licensed attorney

maybe there are structural reasons there aren't better judges

A heartbeat isn't even necessary, there have been plenty of ghouls who pretend they're judges.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Texas is a “no cheek” state.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t worry about it, the term monkey is not inherently racist. I don’t know what the gently caress kind of internet they’re huffing.

It’s definitely used by racists a lot, of course, which muddies the water.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s hard to find lengua tacos compared to CA. Cheek? Out of the question. My closest taqueria has 4 types of queso and 3 types of taco. Absurd.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Are you like in Vidor or something

North Dallas

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh we’ve definitely gone taco hunting and found a shitload of dope taco spots but suburban Dallas is, well, poo poo.

My wife doesn’t like Tacos Mariachi but I love it because they put fries in the burrito which reminds me of when I was in CA. Dallas’s burrito scene is bleak.

I need to just move back to the city once everyone stops coughing on each other.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OKC is fine but Tulsa is horrible. Dallas is pretty okay.

Not great, but pretty okay. Don’t come to North Dallas.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re next level.

We’re next level? Oh God

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plano has an expensive Chinese food place called Yao Fuzi that everyone deserves to try. Some truly fantastic eats there.

Granted I have always been drunk when I ate there, but it is shockingly good, considering it’s right by a Blue Goose and a Jason’s Deli.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I fuckin’ love to eat cool and tasty foods so the suburban life is hard for me. I also miss lit up streets all night, walking my dog at night is a lil scary.

Commutes loving suck and my office is 5m away from where I live, compared to the 50-min commute every morning and evening when I lived in the city bc texas traffic is horrific.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Houston’s city council opted to not have rules where things can go, so I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find food next to your home and also a power plant and a school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Like every state wouldn’t be “MILF” or whatever?

SexMex? Is that a person? A food?