Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

VitalSigns posted:

:confused:What? How is the ten percent rule not merit-based? Do some schools run a lottery to see who gets the top 10% of GPAs?
Resentment of the top 10% qualifiers from majority-minority schools because dadgummit my 40th percentile son could run rings around Those People, where's his scholarship! (Not that any of them actually volunteer to live in those neighborhoods and attend those schools to test this theory, mind you.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Beto needs to step up his subject line game.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

zoux posted:

They just postponed the pride parade because of the storm.

Anyone else sitting at work hoping for the "go home early" email from the boss?
https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/901102168194854913

I'm tipping out at noon no matter what, and I only live a mile away from my office. If you have any kind of commute throw up the double bird now and head to the car.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

TropicalCoke posted:

Wow! Governor Chris Bell!
You misspelled Kinky Friedman

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Been at the Unity Church early polling location in Houston for 20 minutes now and the line hasn't moved except for people ahead of me giving up bc of all the flies/ants. I'm giving it another 10 then doing so myself. I have a day off next week but no idea how hourly workers cope. Pretty sure no straight ticket voting + slow Bush-era rotary machines are gonna eke this out for Rs.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Yeah and I don't work anywhere near there so I'd be gambling on literally no line during lunch hour

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Dameius posted:

Use this interactive wait time map for Harris county. It also lists every each type of polling location.
I did! It's full of poo poo!

The line moved shortly after my post so I stuck it out. Ended up taking about an even hour. They were making people wear finger condoms but not masks (there was only one guy not wearing one, and one more guy wearing it on his chin)

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

saintonan posted:

This is Texas, so I'm not expecting much, but are there any whistleblower protections in state law?
For private employers, nothing beyond federal laws. For public employers, yes but they're pretty lovely and require very specific steps to be taken or else you'll get dismissed on a technicality.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

For those of you who have braved the polling locations, how has the enforcement of COVID19 protocols been? Are people wearing masks and socially distancing like they're supposed to be? I imagined a sea of people with their masks pulled down under their chins and opted to mail it in instead.
They weren't policing distance at all. I was lucky enough to be in line ahead of someone who was also taking it seriously, so I only needed to control my distance from the guy in front of me, but plenty of other parts of the line were bunched up more like 2-3 feet apart. People were 99% masked but I guess that's always a roll of the dice with Governor Moloch

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Obergefell is probably not going anywhere with Gorsuch on the court.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Barrett will absolutely vote to overturn it and I expect her, Thomas, and Alito to basically be automatic votes for anything up to and including a revival of Lochner. I just don't think Gorsuch will be on board. All bets are of course off if Trump wins a second term and Breyer dies.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

What you're likely to see is the trio of Roberts, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh (who is more similar to Roberts in this regard) keeping things modest and taking salami slices out of popular social precedents while they completely gut the regulatory state via unsexy decisions about non-delegation and agency deference. Those decisions will be where they go nuts. You can also expect virtually any voting rights bill or HR 1 type electoral reform to get snuffed out.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

If Trump loses then either he or his son are going to win the 2024 R primaries wire-to-wire and people had best get their denial about this out of their system now.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

Trump won't live that long.
Trump's parents lived to be 93 and 88. His brain might be pudding by then but that hasn't stopped anyone in politics yet.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Historically ... 2016

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I don't blame people that much for wanting to forget GWB the second he left office but it happened in the 90s and 00s. Our trends just aren't as strong as Florida's so they got swallowed up by the Tea Party shift towards nativism.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

My hunch is still that this is all just redistributing votes from election day. I hope I'm wrong!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

If they had brought the case the day it was announced it would've worked but not even SCOTX would sign off on this a week into early voting

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Brazoria is undergoing the same shift that other Houston suburbs are, just a little bit behind. It was R+35 for Romney, R+24 for Trump, and R+18 for Beto. It'll be a solid pink this year.

I'm curious what happens in Montgomery; the Woodlands had a shockingly even split of lawn signs last I was up there.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The evidence is that grade schools are not turning out to be hot spots in the way bars and clubs are. But they can still be a vector, and the higher the background of cases, the worse "normal" spread can get. A rational policy would've kept bars and restaurants shut down so that we could test/trace and handle school outbreaks, instead the spring semester will start against a background of a shitshow third wave and make them terrified to re-open anything new when it might tip the scales of hospital capacity.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1320066165113225216

I'm shocked!

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Beto's coattails costing Stanart his Harris clerk position could be some real butterfly wing to extinction level event poo poo

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The design wouldn't be so bad if it was more responsive, especially with straight ticket gone. From what I could tell they haven't updated the internals of the machine in 15 years either, they're probably all still running Pentiums or something.

I demand new voting machines with low input lag and rollback netcode.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

If you go up the thread to the guy he's quoting and then down his thread he says they're modeled estimates. Which is better than using straight affiliation data but still not nearly as reliable as other states with true party registration systems.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Nobody gives a gently caress about other conversations your other accounts had in other threads with other people nor do they enhance the otherwise banal observation that immigrants tend to be entrepreneurial.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Texas gets one RGB integer redder every time a Yankee blue check makes a dumb Texas pun

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

That mask ruling is going to be immediately stayed by the 5th Circuit and not enforced by chud precincts in the meantime so I wouldn't expect it to affect much.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

You can also request a limited ballot if you moved somewhere within the state, which will only have state-wide races. This is only an option during early voting, though, so if you want to vote in those do so now.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 29, 2020

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I think his point is there's not a ton of overlap between antifa and the rich CA techies moving for state tax breaks

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

i say swears online posted:

this is not true lol
He might not believe it in his heart of hearts but with Patrick and now West breathing down his neck he basically has to govern like he does.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Old James posted:

Last week, before that paint job, that truck was sucking up sewage from septic tanks across the state.

I mean technically I guess it is showing up with "tanks" lmao

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Andrew Hanen is an absolute chud and I wouldn't be surprised if he institutes a preliminary order segregating the drive-thru vote or something

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Didn't Houston and most other cities say that the hemp legalization bill made it basically impossible for them to enforce weed laws due to making a THC test part of the evidentiary threshold?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Republicans know this is over, they're just making vague half-assed Tweets in the hope of staying on Trump's good side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I keep thinking about the Biden campaign pooh-poohing door-to-door canvassing and shaking my head for thinking they'd have a shot here