Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean if they're going to make any demands, I would think mandatory gun licenses and an end to open carry would be there.

In all fairness, I don't think either of those things have directly been responsible for any specific shooting or at least ump in shootings overall, though they definitely are both a symptom of our insane gun worship culture and do feed back into it which does contribute to shootings and gun violence generally.

e: like, open carry has been a thing for how many years now? And I can probably count on one hand the number of people I've seen out wearing a gun in public outside of some specific demonstration where they're trying to make a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Waffle House posted:

It was late last year, 2021 that firearm open carry passed. The knife/sword open carry however has been around since 2018, but before that we had the "can't have a knife on you bigger than the palm of your hand" law.

Licensed open carry started like five years ago though, and it didn't lead to a spike in anything. gently caress gun culture and all that, and I'm certainly no fan of permitless carry, but those things aren't the problem. At least not just now. It's a much deeper issue than that.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Holy poo poo

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i'm not gonna check to be sure or anything, but my hazy recall of the blur of shootings is that few if any are ended by active police intervention, and to whatever degree police presence may contribute to the end of them it's usually shooter realizes time is up and suicides themselves either directly or by cop. I can't off the top of my head think of one where cops rushed in and ended it. it's always shooter coming out if they didn't off themselves.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

I heard that the A1 thick and hearty burger is the unhealthiest burger in America, but I have my doubts

Order a side of gravy to dip it in so you can be certain.

e: oh right, it's gone now :(

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Oh, well in that case, if you love your mouth but hate your body order one with a side of gravy for dipping.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It'll be closer than whoever the last person that tried managed, but also more humiliating because I think the last person didn't actually try since I don't remember who it was. That lady sheriff from DFW maybe?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You know, I was thinking Lupe Valdez, but then I was like no wait isn't that the actress who killed herself back in the 40s? Looking it up now, that one was Velez, and in any case my takeaway is that Valdez is about as memorable as an actress whose work I've never seen and who died more than 30 years before I was born and only know about because of a joke on the Simpsons now itself several decades old.

Beto will now only slightly outperform her, having spent who knows how many times as much while torching what little remaining good will he had among the voting public.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/gromerjeffers/status/1565024945213775874

Oh that's why we haven't done anything, it's simply not possible. The very laws of physics prohibit such a thing.

The fact that federal courts repeatedly upheld abortion rights sure didn't stop the GOP from passing TRAP laws for 40 years did it

Also weird that it was somehow possible to lower the age for concealed handgun carry the other day. 21 to 18. Judicially even. I guess it's lower only. Raise to 21? No. Lower to 15? Well now you've got their attention.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SchwartzChron/status/1569724889065730050

How are there so many political bodies in Texas with supermajority quorum requirements. Half + 1 is what it has to be.

Some republican activist group must've circulating a memo, because I swear I heard something about some members of the Brazos country one doing the same, and for almost the same reason. Or may have been City of Bryan. Somewhere over here.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I had haggis nachos at a pub on Skye. They were fine.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What is the procedure there, if they don't have the right kind of paper, is it literally just gently caress off you don't get to vote this election? Surely there's a process.

Even if it's bullshit in this case, there were reports in PA of the same.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shoulda gone after Cornyn instead of that abysmal presidential run. Still probably wouldn't have won, but he'd have exhausted a bit less good will, maybe.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sweet sister Satan this document dump. Just absolutely confirming what everyone already knew.

e: text between two regents

and so on

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 3, 2023

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I mean, I feel like maybe the regents who scuttled the deal because they're so scared of "woke" should be paying it, but that's just me and I'm not a BMA so I guess I don't count.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jake Gittes posted:

as much as i love watching the tamu ~community~ continue to own themselves over and over again, I gotta wonder about how this bullshit will impact hiring at other schools in texas (both public and private) who were already fighting the perception that we're a bunch of dumb rednecks.

On average we apparently ARE a bunch of dumb rednecks, so like, until we stop giving evidence of it, I'm unsure of what else to do but keep disavowing it all.

zoux posted:

The regents get paid with tax payer money too

Do they? I'm uncertain they get paid anything aside from maybe some small honorarium like corporate boards do (though of course it would be public money if so). But like, if anything, it's not high dollar.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

1stGear posted:

Bastrop is a bedroom community for Austin, it is not a wide spot in the road where the only place to hang out is a gas station.

No, but I feel like there's a fun bit of irony there in people desperately searching for and trying to make a third space of Musk's bad corner store while he continues to fuel anti-urbanism and fund and promote projects and policies that oppose efforts to return to sustainable development patterns.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I assume by that you mean RC et al.

e: and I see that is correct.

I mean... how much weight does that name still carry here? I'm way out of touch these days.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I was like... Whitmire? That sounds familiar, but no that was Kathy and then apparently they're related?

Anyway, no opinion but he probably sucks.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pale Horse Strategies? Really?

And still no "Are we the baddies?" moment...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That tracks.

Dunno about that outlet tho.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Most Congested Roadways

Katy freeway, despite being the widest highway in the world, is #1

Clicking through on some of those and seeing the cost of the projects to add more pointless capacity is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You know Cincinatti is in Ohio, right? Ohio.