Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It does look pretty epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And it's on History Channel? Actual history? I may have to reconnect my cable before it starts airing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Hah, as if that "dramatization" will have anything to do with the actual history past names and dates.

"* - based on actual history" is still a hell of a lot closer to the real thing than whatever they were showing last time I looked.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The boom/bust cycle is why my older brother didn't go back into the industry after being laid off from Schlumberger. My little brother works for Shell, but doing GIS stuff, so maybe he's safe. Who knows.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nearly everyone in the capital is well off through outside means, state government pay is poo poo because it's assumed you're coming in with other sources.

That's the problem. Nearly everyone in the legislature is there on behalf of their real employers.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm more concerned about the tax cuts "no matter what".

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Seriously I don't want to see what happens when yet another false report of a shooter goes around on this campus except this time with a bunch of people barely old enough to be carrying at all stalking around trying to be the one to stop the bad guy.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Perry's challenge to his indictment was denied. Case will proceed.

Sweet.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Bueno.

unrelated:
I hope the new legislature makes the cottage food law a bit better, maybe allow offering custards and perishable poo poo.

How does that benefit job creators though?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

To no one's surprise, the proposed tax cuts are to property and franchise taxes, saving your average person little to nothing and the rich heaps and heaps.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Theoretically, property tax cuts should benefit most people who rent as well, as the landlords are expected to pass those savings down to their tenants. Of course this doesn't happen at all but that's what they're going to say.

Of course that's what they're going to say. They'll also say lowering the franchise tax will allow businesses to expand or pass on reduced costs to consumers, but that's not going to happen either.

e_angst posted:

As a homeowner in the state (in Austin no less, where our crazy property values have increased my tax burden about 40% over the five years I've owned my place) I wouldn't mind something like an increase in the homestead exemption, since that will be a benefit to people for the homes they live in and not just a boon for property speculators.

That would actually be a good way to do it if they were earnest about helping middle and working class home owners, and I haven't seen what the plan is, but I'd expect that's not it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We do however require that you relinquish your local freedoms to an all-controlling state government. Thank you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

To briefly play devil's advocate preemption is an established legal doctrine that many cities like to play fast and loose with until they get called out on it.

But it is limited to very specific parts of a law, not massive swaths of subject matter like that atrocity of a bill.

Typically that means a lower level of government can't have less restrictive laws though, not the other way round.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heh, sounds like conservatives may save us from other conservatives. Seems some of them aren't buying into the tax cut plan and would rather focus on paying down the debt first, so they're talking about poisoning the bill with amendments. Abbot has said he won't sign off on a budget that doesn't include the cuts, so I guess it's a game of who cracks first.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I recall reading yesterday that he can't do poo poo though because he declined to be party to the original suit.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Neat.

It's good to not be the last state, at least.

And congrats to the happy couple on being the first.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No, I read it. Doesn't make theirs not legal even if no one else is able to yet. It's also a major crack in the dike; now that one license has been issued, special circumstances notwithstanding, they're going to have a difficult time continuing to justify denying others who may not be in the same situation. I don't think there's any way to legally justify that only people about to die may get gay married.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

1stGear posted:

I assume this is a stay on the marriage license? Boy, I sure hope this doesn't hit national news and make the TSC look like massive suppurating assholes!

As near as I was able to suss from zoux and warsz talking about it in the chat thread, it's a stay on the order that was given by the judge to the county clerk to issue the license. So I guess it doesn't actually do anything except maybe stop additional ones for now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The attorney general says he'll seek to void it.

Can he do that? It was legally issued as far as anyone can tell at the moment.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

To her credit (uggghhh feel so dirty), Governor Mary Fallin has indicated she will probably not sign the history-ban bill even if it passes because she's concerned denying students college credit will hurt her electoral chances in the future.

There we go. Much better

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dahn posted:

Lots of cops bully some old dudes at a VFW hall in TX.

The link

Or maybe, Crazy old guys send confusing documents to Kerr county court house, and a warrant for their arrest is issued.

Or, Local animal control officers threatening to strike, after not being included in the "big raid".

Why federal law enforcement was involved, is the really curious thing. I understand the "Old Coots piss off a judge, and get to visit him in court" part of this. But why the Feds??

Lol it happened here in Bryan. I've heard of those Republic of Texas guys before; they get up to some crazy stuff. They're not a full on militia, but there are militia groups tied in with them.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Do they have any ties to the militia groups that Rick Perry used to patrol the border?

I don't recall the names of the particular groups. I just recall reading or seeing something a couple years ago where they were doing "training weekends" out in the sticks, and I definitely recall seeing the RoT name attached. It's probably a safe bet they do.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Eh, I'm OK with that if it means they reverse the decision on letting a bunch of roads go back to gravel. Personally I'm hoping they don't try capping property tax. Because it will pass if it goes on the ballot, and that's going to gently caress us California hard.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

As a California transplant, I cannot warn you hard enough about how awful a property tax will be. That said, I think enough Republicans in Austin recognize that without property taxes they'd probably have to institute a state income tax, so I wouldn't be shocked if they keep any efforts to institute a cap under wraps.

Well, local pols all over (even Republicans) are pushing back against the cap proposal, so that's good, at least.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Plus it just means some poor underpaid janitorial staffer has to clean it up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heh, apparently there are discussions toward eliminating daylight savings time in Texas going on in some committee or another. I'm not opposed to the idea.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some douche filed a bill trying to make it illegal to record cops, ahahhahaha. But I don't have the details handy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Won't stop people, of course, but at least they'll get dinged for it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I've several times put off phone calls while driving because of the Austin hands free ordinance.

You're a reasonable person though. The world is full of people who aren't. Sure, some may stop, but most people careless enough to text while driving are probably gonna keep at it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

loving liberals

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fair enough, but I'd say it would all depend on who was there first. You move in next to an existing BBQ place, that's on you.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Somewhat fortunately, our lawmakers here seem to be more beholden to business than they are to the vice and virtue police and will probably kill it for fear of pissing off all the giant corporations headquartered here.

Hilarious that they want it to override local ordinances though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

lol raw milk, why always with the raw milk.

Also, open carry passed the house yesterday because of course it was going to. Guess there's just reconciling it with the senate version yet.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Rick Perry posted:

“It’s OK to question your government. I do it on a regular basis. But the military is something else,” Perry said, per the Dallas Morning News. “Our military is quite trustworthy. The civilian leadership, you can always question that, but not the men and women in uniform.”

Funny thing is he's all backwards from the way the system was set up and no one is going to bother calling him out on it. We have civilian leadership of our military precisely because people did question the military and didn't want to give it too much power.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's a bummer.

On the plus side, at least they legalized weed.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Did anyone offer any reasons why they opposed it?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We should just split the difference and standardize it to that. be 30 minutes off from everyone else

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And it isn't over. There's a strong chance of rain basically every day in the next 10 somewhere in the state.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

It's sine die yall and nothing terribly egregious passed, so it's a win :unsmith:

so, campus carry is dead?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That powdered alcohol one is probably just a bit premature. Once the stuff starts being widely sold you'll probably see it come up again in a lot more places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

What were they supposed to do about a state law that was specifically written to override their fracking ban? Secede?

Leave it in place as a symbolic thing? Challenge the state law? Iunno.