Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

I work downtown so it's mostly for selfish, traffic related reasons that I wish he'd gently caress off.
I had to cancel a Dr.'s appointment today, no way in heck could I have gotten to my Dr. in the north. They closed the Lamar->Capital of TX Highway entrance I was counting on to get on Mopac. :psyduck:

Vaguely ironic, Obama causing me to miss out on healthcare, but I'll just reschedule for next week. :colbert:

I signed up for the Battleground Texas stuff but never heard anything, hopefully I will eventually. Might be because I adamantly refuse to do phone banking and didn't check that box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

zoux posted:

I went to an exceedingly expensive private liberal arts school and I wish I would've gone to UT instead :smith:

My grades were so bad coming out of High School I didn't even bother applying to UT, St. Edward's across the river accepted me though, and it was pretty great all things considered. :unsmith:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Justice isn't dead. :911:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I'm in 3, and I have no idea how I'm going to decide on a candidate, there seem to be quite a lot here and there's not too much difference between them at first blush.

E:

zoux posted:

I'm in 5 because I live in the '04 :smug:

3 has some '04 too. :colbert:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 10, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

As a non-texan, I say: build trains, trams and buslines everywhere. Hth.

But but but, I have it on good authority that Ford is the best in Texas. :suicide:

Seriously though I am so goddamn happy living barely a mile from where I work. Can't imagine having to deal with the ridiculous commutes my coworkers do, one all the way from Pflugerville.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

~the Chemistry industry~.

I do like how she seems to be taking him to task but she doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Aw hell I missed most of it, also why does it look and sound like they are broadcasting from the 90s?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

The fact that this is the first time that the Enterprise Fund is being audited is perhaps the only surprising part of this. :psyduck:

At least somebody is trying to push accountability.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

You have to admit though, the scale of the graft is pretty impressive. Everything's bigger in Texas, even graft!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah, but the Latino vote!
The Latino vote which is notoriously difficult to get to the polls. :sigh:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Texas, the last hope for the country. :911:

E: Christ, dude looks like the villain in a 70s/80s high school movie.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 30, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Randandal posted:

I wish Kinky Friedman would run again.
I wish he'd run again too, into a bus.

How anyone could even ironically support him is beyond me, especially after the debate where he whipped out his "Politics is made up of poly and ticks, that means multiple blood sucking insects" line, and in general not having a good answer to any of the questions.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Given the fierce questions and times the candidates get called out, I think I see why republicans don't like debating in Texas. :v:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

We need to create the best school system in the world, and then fund it. :downs:

E: Holy poo poo, Wendy is bring the heat. Though she's going over.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Abbot you are the dumbest motherfucker to ever live:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/texas-politics/2014/10/greg-abbott-texas-gay-marriage-ban-reduces-out-of-wedlock-births/

quote:

AUSTIN – Attorney General Greg Abbott says Texas’ same-sex marriage ban should remain in place because legalizing it would do little or nothing to encourage heterosexual couples to get married and have children.

Writing in a brief filed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday, Abbott said the state was not obligated to prove why gay marriage might be detrimental to the economic or social well-being of Texans. It was only required to show how opposite-sex marriage would be more beneficial for its citizens.

“The State is not required to show that recognizing same-sex marriage will undermine heterosexual marriage,” the brief read. “It is enough if one could rationally speculate that opposite-sex marriages will advance some state interest to a greater extent than same-sex marriages will.”

The new filing largely reiterated the same “responsible procreation” argument Abbott made in July, when the state first appealed a a February district court’s ruling overturning the Texas gay marriage ban. In it, Abbott argued marriage among heterosexual partners is more beneficial to society because it encourages married couples to have children and provides an example for other couples to do the same.

“First, Texas’s marriage laws are rationally related to the State’s interest in encouraging couples to produce new offspring, which are needed to ensure economic growth and the survival of the human race,” Abbott wrote.

He added, “Second, Texas’s marriage laws are rationally related to the State’s interest in reducing unplanned out-of-wedlock births. By channeling procreative heterosexual intercourse into marriage, Texas’s marriage laws reduce unplanned out-of-wedlock births and the costs that those births impose on society. Recognizing same-sex marriage does not advance this interest because same-sex unions do not result in pregnancy.”

In the brief, Abbott concedes that same-sex marriage might have some positive effects for society, like increasing household wealth and adoptions or providing a more stable environment for children raised by gay couples. While there might be benefits, however, he said it’s for the Legislature, not the courts, to decide whether to expand the right to marry.

Abbott, who is also the Republican nominee for governor, said parallels could not be drawn between the fight for same-sex marriage and previous cases that overturned bans on sodomy or affirmed the right for interracial couples to marry.

He denied that other courts’ decisions to overturn gay marriage bans represented salient precedent, saying these rulings simply represented the “purely subjective” beliefs of a few judges: ”That is not a government of laws, but of men.”

San Antonio-based District Judge Orlando Garcia ruled the Texas ban unconstitutional in February because it violated same-sex couples’ 14th Amendment equal protection rights. The state appealed, pushing the case to the New Orleans-based Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals that hears cases for Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.

Politicians, legal scholars, faith leaders and health care professionals have been eager to weigh in on the case.

Earlier this summer, 63 Republican lawmakers – including the frontrunners for lieutenant governor and attorney general, state Sens. Dan Patrick and Ken Paxton – signed a brief supporting the state’s ban. In it, they wrote allowing gay marriage could lead to Texas eventually legalizing pedophilia, polygamy and incest. A number of religious organizations and the attorneys general for 10 states with bans in place have also thrown their support behind Abbott.

Corporations and mental health organizations have argued against the ban, including 32 companies such as Amazon.com, Google, Starbucks and Target, as well as the American Psychological and American Psychiatric Associations. In September, 16 attorneys general from states with gay marriage already in place filed an amicus brief arguing their own experiences show only positive effects from allowing gays and lesbians to marry.

Last week, the court agreed to fast-track the Texas case. The request for expedited hearing came from Nicole Dimetman, a plaintiff in the case who is due to give birth to the second child with her wife, Cleopatra DeLeon, in March. The two were married in Massachusetts.

DeLeon bore the couple’s first child, now 2, and Dimetman quickly adopted the boy so she would have parental rights. The couple told the Express-News last week they hoped a victory in the courts would help them avoid another round of costly and stressful adoption requirements.

Victor Holmes and Mark Phariss, another gay couple living in Texas, are also appellees on the case.

Also this month, the court agreed to a request from Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell to have the same three-judge panel that hears the Texas case hear his argument in favor of that state’s gay marriage ban. The final briefs in the Louisiana case are due Nov. 7. Hearing dates will likely be set before the end of the year.

Same-sex marriage advocates have celebrated multiple victories lately. Recent decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court and federal judges have cleared the way for gay marriage in 29 states, with six more likely to follow suit soon. Proponents of gay marriage have netted one major loss, however, when a federal judge in Louisiana upheld that state’s ban earlier last month.

The Fifth and Sixth Circuit Courts are widely seen as two of the most conservative federal appeals courts in the country, and therefore the most likely to uphold a state ban on same-sex marriage. If either one breaks with precedent, becoming the first federal appeals court to uphold a ban, the issue will be kicked up to the Supreme Court for a final decision.
gently caress you

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Loling hard at some of the statesman comments:

quote:

Oh goodie! Yet ANOTHER big success for baby-killing bi***es that refuse to take responsibility for their promiscuity. Anyone ever hear of a little thing called PREVENTION?? There REALLY IS such a thing as birth control that does NOT kill the unborn child. Hey, if you can get the money for an abortion, you can certainly afford NOT to get pregnant in the first place!!

quote:

I'm all for lots of abortion clinics. Dumbocrats are the super majority that uses them. They will thin their on herd.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Statesman comments are 70% trolls attempting to get the other trolls' personas to feign outrage. And 30% spam they never seem to be able to fix.

I want to believe. :colbert:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

We actually asked him about gentrification and his response was "hey at least they get a good price when they sell and move out!"
This was back a few pages, but this is literally what people tell me when I tell them my mother is getting property taxed out of her home in Austin. It seems to be a regrettably prevalent attitude even among liberals. :sigh:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 28, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I took a photo of the sign absurdity in Austin:

It wraps around the corner too until lit hits the property adjacent to the early voting location.

That's pretty impressive, the HEB at Oltorf/South Congress has a pretty good sign density too.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I take solace in the fact that my vote for district 3 rep mattered for sure, only 14 votes between the top two according to the results on the statesman website.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I'm glad District 3 seems to be well represented at least. :unsmith:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

This Jade Helm 15 paranoia stuff is the stupidest poo poo ever.

Where do they find these idiots?

(from http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/texas-governor-abbott-orders-national-guard-military-takeover )

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Yesterday, in my internal auditing class we learned about 21CT. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of that before, it's like a software company had effectively star citizen'd both the state and federal governments, almost to the tune of 110 Million. :stare:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Can you elaborate on what they did? I haven't followed it.

The statesman has a pretty good write-up and a good timeline.

The short version is, in my understanding, that one official crammed a contract with 21ct, a company that purported to programmatically catch medicare fraud using advanced detection methods. The official ignored the bids from the legitimate companies like SAP and went with 21CT, even though they were not equipped for it. The contract with 21CT had no metrics for success, and was essentially a blank check, and seems to have gone through little to no review process at all.

I'm probably bungling some of that but in general it looks pretty fraudulent.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

"Actually it's about gaming journalism women's health".

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Childhood Obesity, Piled high.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I want to print this out and post it everywhere. I want this to be the face of the republican party in Texas.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Looks like the early voting split is continuing in the election day numbers. This genuinely feels like the greatest victory for democracy in a long time. :911:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

What the hell is progressive about rolling over for big business?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Reik posted:

Their mascot is a ram, so if people start asking questions just keep bringing up rams.
If you bring up a mountain goat though by accident, people might think you went to St. Edward's. :eng101:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

A lovely Reporter posted:

God's sake, how hard is it to keep some fabric shopping bags in your backpack?
Or, you know, your car. :toot:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

He's lucky this only makes him the second-worst Zimmerman.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Zil posted:

Funny thing is, where he is standing had graffiti on it two weeks ago stating that 9/11 was an inside job.
In fairness though what hasn't been graffiti'd on that particular part of Lamar?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

http://cityhall.blog.statesman.com/2016/09/02/zimmerman-slams-salamander-dna-testing-while-austin-has-rape-kit-backlog/

Zimmerman, you unbelievably dumb bastard, gently caress you.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I realized today that Trump is the textbook definition of 'All hat and no cattle'.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Credit where credit was due, I had not figured A&M students to be the protesting type. Glad to see resistance like this.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

On the note of town halls, did anyone catch the stream of Doggett's yesterday? I only caught the end of it via a Facebook stream, and it was so striking how entirely he gets it. Really inspiring stuff, he's very on point with every answer.

By contrast, my district's rep, worthless idiot coward Lamar Smith, seems to have inspired a small movement in the district, "Help Find Lamar" signs are cropping up in neighborhoods. :allears:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Does this mean that the districts will be redrawn before the next election?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

It warms my heart to see David "Domestic abuse via iPhone" Pogue inconvenienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I was born in Austin, and there is something to be said for the effects of the growth pushing lower and even lower - middle class natives out of the city, but I don't blame the transplants for that. It does feel like Austin is gradually becoming more and more of a playground for the rich sometimes though.

Also our roads are loving garbage, of course.

edit: Only 90s kids will remember when 78704 was 787affordable.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 5, 2017